Thank goodness they still do not let people use cell-phones on airplanes!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a Samsung S6, a supposed smart phone but it's not that smart - it often forgets to come with me when i go out!

When I bought my Blackberry, I thought about the 30-year business I ran with 1800 employees, all without a cell phone that plays music, takes videos, pictures and communicates with Facebook and Twitte

Simple solution is turn the phone off & unplug landline ! Works a treat !

It's the same with the people in supermarkets - Sainbury's, Asda, Tesco et al - and you can't get near the shelves because they have a phone stuck to their ear asking "what do you want for your dinner? shall I get some bacon?, do we need any cheese? have we got any coffee?"

How did they buy anything before mobiles were invented?

Great recommendation Stu - downloaded and installed!

If you need to share documents over several devices, I highly recommend "dropbox" - it is brilliant!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 05/11/2012 at 1:58 PM, Limey said:

Thank goodness they still do not let people use cell-phones on airplanes!

Err.. well...

A few months ago, in the middle of the night, my daughter was, as far as I knew, somewhere half way between Dubai and Hong Kong at about 38000 feet. When she's travelliing she mostly doesn't even text me until she can get Wi-Fi and therefore free texts

I can never settle when she's travelling like that but I was nodding off, expecting to hear from her some time next morning when she landed.

Next, my phone 'Message Notification' 'pinged' at me.  Who the **** is that at this time of night?  I muttered, cheerfully.

To my horror it was a Whatsapp Message from 'Stef' ( My daughter)

I won't bore you with all the horrors that went through my mind.. diversion.. hi-jack.. you name it, but a second or so later when I properly read the message it just said:

'Got Wi-Fi in the Sky!!!'

Then nothing more till she landed.

Scared me half to death..

Col

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 11/22/2016 at 11:16 AM, DJ360 said:

Err.. well...

A few months ago, in the middle of the night, my daughter was, as far as I knew, somewhere half way between Dubai and Hong Kong at about 38000 feet. When she's travelliing she mostly doesn't even text me until she can get Wi-Fi and therefore free texts

I can never settle when she's travelling like that but I was nodding off, expecting to hear from her some time next morning when she landed.

Next, my phone 'Message Notification' 'pinged' at me.  Who the **** is that at this time of night?  I muttered, cheerfully.

To my horror it was a Whatsapp Message from 'Stef' ( My daughter)

I won't bore you with all the horrors that went through my mind.. diversion.. hi-jack.. you name it, but a second or so later when I properly read the message it just said:

'Got Wi-Fi in the Sky!!!'

Then nothing more till she landed.

Scared me half to death..

Col

Simple solution is turn the phone off & unplug landline ! Works a treat !

• Like 2

I do it all the time Mick.  I just had to renew my pay as you go phone.  That bugged me I've got more money on it already than I need, but if I didn't renew it would expire.  The so and so's have got you.  I'm just gonna have to use it more but I rarely call anybody.  I only have it for possible emergencies.:rolleyes:

I thought telecoms  were cheaper in the US Dave ? My telco is Virgin Media a US outfit these days, they certainly increase the prices religiously every year.

• Like 1

Not really sure if they are cheaper, Mick.  Probably when you figure in the exchange rate they are about the same.  I have an old flip phone on a plan that averages $10 per month.  Now with all the so called smart phones they run around $45 a month with 2 gig of data.  I don't want a smart phone or two gig of data so that is not for me.  We removed our landline.  All we ever seemed to get was telemarketer calls.  Waste of money we connect to the internet via the old wired in line though.  Mobiles are Verizon.  I think Vodaphone is tied in with them in Europe.  The older I get the more phones annoy me.

• Like 1

I'm a smartphone convert.

Smartphones can be a bit annoying, but they have their uses.  The Motorola  'Moto' series are pretty inexpensive and work well, with a little sacrificed in slimness/flashiness factor c.f. the likes of iPhones. I had a £150  'Moto G' untl I dropped it and shattered the screen.  Even then it was fixable for about £30 by getting the kit from eBay and doing the job myself according to guides on Youtube. but I couldn't be bothered. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Moto-Generation-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Black/dp/B012W8Y6Y8/ref=dp_ob_image_wld

I now have a Samsung A3, which is excellent and not as stupidly big as many phones.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/smartphones/galaxy-a3/

I had simple phones provided for years by my employers.. so never bothered with much apart from calls and texts.  But, I can now keep in touch via calls, texts, images and videos, with my children and grandkids, as well as friends, the internet etc. all from one simple device.  It is only as time consuming and 'intrusive', as I allow it to be.  Using 'Whatsapp' and 'Skype' also gives freew call etc., via Wi-Fi when in range.

Also, if ( as occasionally happens) my broadband link 'goes down', I can use my phone as a 'hotspot'., to connect my PC to the internet.

And I can use my phone to control my new camera, or download shots from it to easily send to friends etc.  There are thousands of other 'apps' which I could use if i wanted, to do everything from monitoring home security, controlling the heating etc. Also, my mate Picko always tells me that the shots and videos I take with the phone, are much better quality than he gets from his old iPhone.

I'm currently paying £19 per month on a 'plan', but that's due to finish soon and I'll just go for a Sim only deal from somewhere probably for about £10 pm. Well worth it for the peace of mind and flexibility. 

Col

My phone plan has recently increased by 20% from £5 pm to a whopping £6 pm ! 2500 minutes unlimited texts & 2 gb data which I use very little of & get my data allowance back every month, data rollover or summat it's called & free calls to other Virgin Media mobile numbers too. Sim only.

My kida all have iphones, just overpriced in my opinion cos they are no better than any other mobile phone.

• Like 1

Well yes. I'm with Three at the moment but will be going back to Virgin for Sim only.  I won't use Tesco no matter how cheap they get because they use O2, which has lousy coverage in these here parts.  When I retired and stopped getting free phones via work, I bought a cheapy Nokia for about £40. and had it on PAYG. 

When I got the inevitable phone calls from assorted folk trying to sell me 'unbeatable' deals, I'd say "OK, if you can beat my current deal I'll buy it"  They'd get all excited and say "What's your current deal?" to which I'd reply..

"I put £10 on my phone 9 months ago and I've still got £9.67p.  Can you beat that?

They hung up....  :)

But, I do like the choices a Smart phone gives.  There's no need to be on it all the time.

Col

My old phone what my lad gave me is on Three PAYG, still has £15 on it but fortunately never expires. Another good thing with smart phones is the ability to use them as a satnav, even with no data use too.

• Like 2

I'm with iD - which is Carphone Warehouse. It uses the 3 network. £7 per month. 500 mins talk, 5000 texts, 5Gb of data which rolls over. 3 isn't the best coverage for 4G but I can live with it.

• Like 2

Been thinking.  My Samsung A3 has 16 gig of internal storage, which tends to get a bit full.  Don't know why I've not looked into it before, but it will take a 128gig micro SD card, which can be had for about 15 quid.  That way it should cope a lot better, and I may even be able to put loads of music on it as well as pics and vids.

Sometimes I can't believe how slow I am to see the obvious.  Must be an age thing.

• Like 1

Well.. our local independent computer shop had a Toshiba 128 Gig SD card for not much money, so I bought one .  Stuck it in my phone and while I was trying to figure out how to move existing images from internal storage to the SD Card, I managed to delete the lot....  Excellent.....:wacko:.          This is one of those times when you are actually grateful that Google has taken over your life and quietly squirrelled all your pics away whether you wanted it or not.  They are still there somewhere..

• Like 1

Finding them is half the fun!  :)

Well, I hope you are able to find them.      128 gig SD eh?   That's big.  I think the biggest I'd heard of to date was 64 gig.   I'm way behind on tech these days.  I don't even have a smart phone.  Mrs. L does and she's always asking me to fix things when it acts up.  I don't know why she thinks I know any more than she does.  What I do know I've either had to figure out by trial and error or read the instructions which are always online and a pain in the rear to find.