Another Nottingham institution is closing its doors

Regarding D&P School outfitters they have not closed down they have moved to the former porchester pub on the corner of wooborough road and porchester road.

They moved because of the parking charges. Now got free parking for customers

Funny that...that a businessman would realise that what attracts the customers is free parking.The big boys knew this years ago when they planned their supermarkets..so how come local councillors can't get it through their thick heads when they pontificate about the demise of the high streets nationwide?

• Upvote 2

Went to Becket School in the early 60's only D&P's plus one other school outfitters stocked the wine coloured blazers with 2 blue hooped bands on the arms, just above wrists, can't recall the name of the other shop but I think it was on L/H corner of slab square? any offers, I'll know the name when I see it

Remember being taken by the leader of my Boy's Brigade company in Arnold to get kitted out for the uniform in Nottingham as a kid. Would have been mid-sixties. Pillbox hat, jumper with collar and lanyard. Seem to think the business was up around Regent Street sort of way up past the Playhouse. Any offers on what that business might have been called and where it was?

Regarding D&P School outfitters they have not closed down they have moved to the former porchester pub on the corner of woodborough road and porchester road.

They moved because of the parking charges. Now got free parking for customers

how bizarre go on google maps stand in the road and look towards the pub and it shows it as a pub then choose to look in front of the pub and the google image changes to a express bedroom shop haha

I had a look on the BB website to see if they had regional offices. No luck.

What I will say for them is that they come across a lot less "touchy feely" than the modern cubs and scouts. Which I approve of wholeheartedly.

That's interesting, thanks anyway, Bamber. Of course it was long, long time since I was associated with the BB :) but it sounds that things have not changed all that much. That's just how I remember it. Discipline, drilling, work hard and play hard. It was something my dad encouraged me to get involved with and I think it did me a lot of good as a kid. Remember gym sessions in a hall in Arnold and football at Killisick - but only after doing as were told and obeying the rules.

If it wasn't D&P then it may have been Price & Beale on King's Walk (and other locations IIRC). But you say the shop was on the LH corner of Slab Square so that has me puzzled, unless it was Griffin and Spalding.

Just remembered it was Horne Brothers........................

I was taken to D&Ps for my Brincliffe uniform in the 50s. I was the eldest of a big family and the cost was enormous and so was my uniform - to leave plenty of room to grow into!

I remember Mam muttering, 'I can take the tunic up for now and let it down as she grows and the blazer sleeves can fold up inside and the 'essential' list don`t say cardigan so she won`t need one o` them. What`s a science overall? What`s she going to do wi` a science overall? Oh - it`s 'essential' - flippin eck. It says ere she`s got to ave bottle green knickers - are they going to check up on them? Oh well, better do as they say. Bl**dy ell - look at the price of the beret (pronounced burette) you`d better not lose it!

I did, of course, lose my beret regularly. Then I`d go to lost property at school and pick the best one there and put up with getting into trouble with the prefect on duty for not having my name in it. My name was in everything! But because Mam didn`t have the money for posh name tapes they were written with marking pen on bits of white tape and badly stitched in by me so the tapes often got lost themselves.

Ee! D&Ps what a trigger for memories!

• Upvote 1

Horne Bros was at the.corner of Long Row and Clumber St. It was a gents tailors when I worked for a princely 3 weeks in 1974! Head office in Truro.

Thanks Stu, I believe they still tailor in London

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that Hornes had a Royal Warrat to tailor Livery for HM, or so it said on the label of the rather fine wide lapelled sports jacket that I boght tere in 1968 with the reurn of cash from the taxman following marriage to Mrs Commo. She bought a coat with a big fur collar from C & A with her rebate. Her coat went west in the early 70's, but my jacket didn't get to Oxfam until 1999!

• 2 years later...

The "Hopkinsons" actually owned both " Hopkinsons" on Station Street and "Pools Tools" on Carlton Street near the George Hotel at one time. Max Hopkinson ran Pools Tools long after they became separate companies I worked for him,he was a great boss, they moved to the Queens Drive Industrial estate and were taken over by a Sheffield firm "Economatics" not the best of employers to be honest with you. Pools Tools should have stayed where they were they may have survived if they had. It was a sad day when they were taken over.