Some years ago there was a toy/games/sports shop on the corner of Carrington Street/Canal street, I have been racking my brains & have asked my mother(83) & we can't remember what it was called can anyone help.

This shop in recent years has been a pine furniture shop and until recent times a restaurant.

I seem to remember that Redmayne & Todd was a bit "high end" for our budget! Wasn't it the store to buy your shotgun?

Certainly was great for cricket equipment. I went against the Nottingham grain by not buying a Gunn & Moore bat for my first investment and purchased a beautiful Stuart Surridge model. Still got it 38 years later.

I was under the impression that Redmayne & Todd owned Gunn & Moore ? or vica versa, G&M are still in Nottm as I've just Googled it, somwhere on Trent lane Colwick.

I did a small job at their bat factory many years ago, and it used to be somewhere on Canal street but further towards Lenton end from memory.

I also did some work in the shop. (as a sparky) I'm sure both jobs were from the same company origin. Family owned I think.

About 1960 I bought my first "proper" chess set from R&T at a cost of 47/6, still got the price sticker on the box!

Gunn & Moore had heir own shop on Carrington St and in the early 60's as the office junior, it was my job to take the office football there to have it inflated to the correct pressure prior to any match the office was to play. That was the day of good old leather footballs which were like lumps of concrete after an hours play on a wet pitch!

Anyone remember the Scout shop on the corner of Shakespeare St and Church St (next door to Dawsons Motorcycles? I remember buying a "Know the Game, Play the Game" booklet on Rugby Union after starting grammar school in order to try to sort out what the heck I was supposed to be doing.

Always used to buy my shotgun cartridges from the small shop on the Canal street side of R&T, I think you could enter the gun shop from R&T, in later years the gunshop moved to halfway down Alfreton road of all places.

R&T was always the place to buy football kit from, i remember my first pair of "modern" football boots with moulded in stoods (about 9 per boot) and laces that were about a yard long, the boots also had 3 white stripes down the side, I felt like a pro but still played like a twonk

Rog

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget Mercury Sports, on Alfreton Road, and Sugg's on Pelham Street.

Remember both those well. Wasn't Mercury Sports owned by former Nottingham Panthers legend Chick Zamick? I bought my first Notts AC tracksuit from there when I was fourteen years old.

I only know Chick Zamick owning a Laundrette on Ilkeston Road, I maybe wrong though , usually am!

Found this:

'The Panthers had folded while he was away so Zamick played briefly with other squads before hanging up his

skates to concentrate on business concerns. These included Chick's Dry Cleaner, a hairdressing concern, an Italian

takeaway restaurant and the Plains Squash Club.'

http://www.mbhockeyh...ChickZamick.pdf

So, was there another professional sportsman who owned Mercury Sports?

Funny you say Alfreton Road as that is what I typed first but changed it to Ilkeston Road as I remember my Dad showing to us as we went passed on the bus (39 / 72) on the way to my Mamas, that only went down Ilkeston Road. I can't think why we'd have been on a bus going down Alfreton Road.

I had it in my mind it was in one of these:-

8287346539_cbd226d237_b.jpg