Early Planning in Nottingham

I found this interesting...a pity the forward thinking was lacking in the 1960s in the city center.And the loss of all the ready made tram routes with the destruction of the many rail routes in and out of the city.

From Nottinghamshire Histories...(Mellors 1914)

Town Planning. The Daybrook valley appears at the time
of writing likely to be the first district locally to have the benefit
of Town Planning, or in other words of foresight exercised and arrangements
with owners made in regard to future developments in building areas.
The need for this was shown in the building of New Basford, for it
had no access to Nottingham on the north-east, or to Radford Road on
the west, or carriage access on the south, but must be approached by
North Gate, and with narrow streets and great factories overshadowing
small cottages.

Sir Samuel George Johnson did an excellent work about
1877-80, in the negotiations for the Boulevards running from Carrington
Police Station to the Castle Rock.

What is now proposed (1914) is for a wide
Boulevard from near Daybrook, extending through the valley to Nottingham
Road, at
Old Basford, (The first thoughts of a ring road?)

And another road from the top of Edwards' Lane,
by the Prison, and Basford Cemetery, with the allocation of certain
areas for definite purposes, such as school sites, open spaces, factories,
etc., Not more than twenty-four houses per acre to be built; roads
not being main roads may be half the usual width, but with sixty feet
between buildings.

This scheme has certain drawbacks, but is a great
improvement on the ideas entertained by the Corporation when about
1880 they built at Basford a great block of model dwellings -a
factory-house, barracks—which nobody would occupy, and they were
pulled down.
(And what did the Corporation do in the 1960s?...They once again built huge blocks of flats in Basford that were totally unsuitable...and once again they were knocked down.)

Really interesting stuff, thanks for posting.

I read recently that there was a turnpike toll house previously at the point where the now ring road meets Mansfield Road. Must have been seen as a significant site in those days

Some of the early planners deserve credit for starting projects which, at the time, might have seemed extravagant and unnecessary. When the ring road first went through Wollaton in the 1920s I'll bet there were people who said it as a waste of money and time. Middleton Boulevard in the 1920s looks a peaceful place to have a leisurely drive, and even though it gets heavily congested these days, we ought to be grateful to someone 90 years ago.

middleton.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

BUMP !

Just found this pic from April 1935 of VALLEY ROAD and Edwards Lane junction . Rush hour !

15070465222_4c85736e7d_o.jpg

Traffic lights at Islands just hold up the traffic even more. It's more like ' traffic control' not traffic flow. The council will never do anything to enhance flow. They love people being held up and inconvenienced in the hope that they will revert to public transport.

• Upvote 1

Why did they decided on that daft shape, and why have they never changed it since?

I hate that island!

Why that exit has been left so tight over the years (park railings) I've no idea...all other exits have loads of room for two lane traffic. Two vehicles side by side have to drive very carefully in lane to continue down the ring road...and if one's a commercial,no chance.

Traffic lights at Islands just hold up the traffic even more. It's more like ' traffic control' not traffic flow. The council will never do anything to enhance flow. They love people being held up and inconvenienced in the hope that they will revert to public transport.

It's because too many people use their cars instead of public transport we have traffic jams in the first place

And if more people used public transport more would be provided.

I have no choice unless my wife takes me any where.

But I usually go by train "IF" I can & it's very rare I use the bus at night.

And to be honest I've not been in the city at night for decades. ;)

Re #17. Even though we've got bus passes, the car is better if we are doing a fair it of town shopping.

And have you travelled on the No17 bus to Bulwell. You can't move for buggies and pushchairs and hoards of unruly brats of various hues causing havoc. Plus their chavvy mothers on their mobiles letting everybody know their life story.

No thanks, I'll stick to the car.

Re my post #19

As I live in Loughborough(my house is about half a mile inside Leicestershire) and when I come into Nottingham by bus I use either the Kinch X9 or the South Notts No1 services I have rarely come across this "problem".

But I don't think your observations apply to all bus(& tram) services in the city.

I have used some buses within the city & not come across too much disturbing behaviour

As I have said before unless my wife(she has M.S.)takes me anywhere I have no choice.

I agree, I don't think the bad behaviour is on every route, but it is getting more prevalent..

It's a pity your not nearer Loughborough station bubblewrap, the train service is very good.

Sorry Bubblewrap , just noticed post 19, you do use the train. I must learn to absorb things I read.LOL

I'm 65 now and have been traveling by train(on my own) since I was ten.

Re post 22 I live about 5 minuets from Loughborough railway station & about the same from the south Notts bus stop.

The behaviour problem here too on some of our town services but as Loughborough is not too large & I tend to walk.

P.S. The railway line is about 100 yards from the back of my house & I can hear the trains passing(Not always :))