The Picture House, Long Row?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ayup Radford,

What was/is the name of that cut through across the road from the ABC? It went through to Parliament street, as I remember it was an aladins cave of shops including a well known record shop, I can't remember the name of that either,damn these grey cells

Rog

Ayup Radford,

What was/is the name of that cut through across the road from the ABC? It went through to Parliament street, as I remember it was an aladins cave of shops including a well known record shop, I can't remember the name of that either,damn these grey cells

Rog

I believe it was called The westend Arcade.........with an escalator half way along to raise you up to the next level which then brought you out on Parliament street across the road from the Co-Op..

Bip. :ph34r:

Ayup Radford,

Rog

I believe it was called The westend Arcade.........with an escalator half way along to raise you up to the next level which then brought you out on Parliament street across the road from the Co-Op..

Wasn't that what i said.... :tease:

And it's till there let me tell you. Just as grubby & dingy as it ever was. There's a retro shop in the arcade,not sure how long it's been there,it's filled to bursting with heaps of old stuff.

... I remember a huge poster of James Dean on the side wall that seemed to be there forever.I thought at sometime in tha 50`s it was called the Gaumont? Don`t remember the escalator though,must be something new(after 1960!)

• 9 months later...
Ayup Radford,

Rog

The back end or the front end ? I'd say the front ?

2112823418_131bd8f259_b.jpg

The Scala Cinema Rings a bell, But wasnt that the cinema at Sherwood somewhere?

The cinema at Sherwood was called The Metropole. It stood on the East side of Mansfield Road almost opposite Edwards Lane After it closed it became a Kwiksave supermarket for man years. It was demolished comparatively recently

• 1 year later...

Well, the Odeon is shortly to be demolished and flats built in it's place. Who would want to live on Angel Row?

http://plan4.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/WAM/pas...p;action=Search

Have a look at some of the Docs - view from Maid Marion Way, view from Angel Row etc.

• 2 weeks later...
!rulez! Before i go on i would like to make one or two things quit clear, i have and never have been that way inclined i my lean to one side while walking but that's not to say i dress that side OK! This cinema in question has been mentioned before in a earlier topic some months ago, i beleive the Scala was indeed it's name but i think it was renamed the News House later on and at the same time was refurbished with those seats that two people could share, wink wink if you know what i mean.The cinema on Milton st was called the Moulin rough of which i did visit but not because of the mucky french erotic films they showed only because at the time i was trying to improve my middle class french...Thank you BiP...............

The Scala was indeed on Market Street. The news Theatre was further up at the top end of Parliament Street somewhere near where Larry Lloyd had his pub. Opposite what is now Number 10

The Scala (renamed the Classic) was quite definitely on Market Street. Roughly opposite where the original Kardomah used to be (which was just below where the Jessops camera shop is now. The Jessops camera shop was a menswear shop). The Scala/Classic was a cinema renowned for attracting men in dirty macs going to see erotic French films. (but, I believe, only on certain nights).

The Moulin Rouge was on Milton Street, opposite the Victoria Station and just a couple of doors away from the Mechanics Institute (cinema) which was on the corner; (a big white building with steps up the entrance.) When this section was redeveloped, the Mechanics became the Nat West Bank and the spot where the Moulin Rouge was part of a row of shops which changed hands many times.

I saw many films at the Moulin Rouge, but I do not recall it having a similar reputation to the Scala / Classic.

The most erotic film I recall being shown was "London in the Raw"; a documentary about everything from Wife swapping to hair implants. (Very controversial for the early1960's).

However, if any of you were men in dirty rain coats, I will bow to your superior knowledge.

• 1 year later...

The Scala Cinema (as it was called at the time) on Market Street used to play a matinee type show of cartoons early every Thursday evening. Along with a long list of classic Warner Brothers such as Road Runner, Speedy Gonzalez and Tweetie Pie, there would be a news item and travelogue type production. My mum used to take me there for a treat straight after school regularly on those Thursday evenings which I'm guessing would have been around the mid-sixties. Further entertainment was always provided by a very large jolly fat man who would sit there every week and absolutely laugh his socks off at the antics on screen!

This find on Wiki seems to fit the bill of the show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looney_Tunes

Recall in 1950's The Moulin Rouge was called The Windmill, had a red neon lit model of such with revolving sails on top of canopy, then it had an "iffy" reputation, according to me mam, I was then very interested in "what's on at the pictures" but never got near that place as mam dragged me to vic station for train to new basford! In later years went in Mechanics, saw Viva Las Vegas there, also saw Easy Rider when first released at The Scala or whatever called then, Guy I worked with in 1960's used to be projectionist at Scala, said one night fire doors burst open and a "massive" beer barrel (hogs head?) rolled at speed down the ailse!

Moulin Rouge translates to Red Windmill (I wasn't always staring out the window at school when we did French!!!!!)