#49 Thanks carni for that blast from the past I've just walked down Main Road Gedling (in my mind)

crossed the road at Skello's and ran up the steps of my childhood home. Going back to the beginning

of this topic that old derelict building was a doll factory and later a leather factory.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for your welcome. It was great to come 'home' to Gedling in 95' . Brief family history - my original family name was Culley, we came from Whatton in 1880s great x2 g/parents kept lodging hous

Nice find Bubblewrap. I'm sure you will find it an enjoyable read. I have just spent an hour scanning "The History of the Parish of Gedling" I found so many surnames of people I knew in my Gedling lif

You have got a better memory than me SueB. I remember being told about The "Doll Factory" but that's it for me. We had some fun in that derelict garden didn't we. Spent many times sitting on those v

You have got a better memory than me SueB. I remember being told about The "Doll Factory" but that's it for me. We had some fun in that derelict garden didn't we. :)

Spent many times sitting on those very steps leading up to your front door, right up to being teenagers (discussing Lads probably) :biggrin:

Whenever I drive along Main Road, and pass your old home, My mind goes back to us kids. I've got some nice memories Miduck. :)

• Upvote 3

Jogs a few memories.

I used to frequently stop off at Simons Records on my way to school, to see what was new in.

In 1969, bought some singles that I still have - Space Oddity by David Bowie and Oh Well by Fleetwood Mac. Think I paid 6/7 for each of them.

Across the road to the newsagents to buy 10 No.6 or 10 Sovereign with my lunch money.

Later on, I used to go to Sherwood Cycling Club meets in the old stables next to the Chesterfield - long since demolished.. Had my first pint in the Chesterfield aged 13.

As I recall, the old arches were somewhere near where my history teacher, Mr Makin, lived. His house was called Mein Kampf!!!

• Upvote 3

Was the shop on the corner of Albert Street run by a family with the surname Ball? I can remember an elderley lady behind the counter. Afraid I miss behaved in there a few times.

I seem to remember the Paper shop on Main rd, the one that RobL mentions, once being further down, on the same side as a Betting Shop? set back off the pavement. Was it called Richardsons ?

I don't recall seeing the little shop on the corner of Albert St when I have passed through. Is there still some kind of retail business there.

Hey an old Sherwood CC man eh Rob? I was a member from about 1961 until around 1964. Had some good times nipping in between the Chesterfield and the meetings in the old stables there. Actually had some energy back then.

• Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...

Next to Simon's Records, I remember there being some sort of jewellery shop. In the middle bit of co-op building there was furniture ( i think?) and you walked to the back to get up the stair to scoop. Shop on corner of Orlando I think was a chemist, the Dr's was over the Rd were the Nursery is

More up to date - Corner of Albert was margaret's Dress shop and the other corner was a building society. Over the road was a dress agency and Noons (mrs Noon lived on Burton Rd) Noons moved into the shop that the dress agency was in and the old noons became an office chair shop for a while. The carpet shop on Main Rd/Waverly as a stationers.

• 11 months later...

So pleased to come across this Forum as I grew up in Gedling until I left upon marriage in 1957.  My family also subsequently moved to another part of the country so I haven't been back to Gedling since then and it is great being able to catch up on events through this post after all these years.  Our house next to the Brooklyn Club  was transformed into a shop known as Simons.  I would love to learn more about the old church arches which appear to have been discovered in Ranmoor Road. 

#57 Hello Conway V nice to here from another Gedlingite. I too was born and grew up in

Gedling, on the same side of the road opposite Skellington the Barbers or Skello's as we

called it. Although I would have only been nine in 1957 I had a few older Brothers and

Sisters ( nine to be exact ) so you may have known one or two.

As for the arches on Ranmoor Road I think they were new structures in a garden,

as children we called them the church arches.

• Upvote 1

Just bought another book on Gedling from Loughborough bric-a-brac market this morning.

The Story of Gedling

By F.M.Swann

Published in October 1979 (so quite recent by my standards)

It has no ISBN number

Is only a booklet containing 32 pages

one good point it is a signed copy.

• Upvote 1

Nice find Bubblewrap. I'm sure you will find it an enjoyable read. I have just spent an hour scanning "The History of the Parish of Gedling" I found so many surnames of people I knew in my Gedling life time cropping up in the "marriages section" mainly of people in the 1600/1700s.

I was looking for my ancestors names, I did think that some of them married at Gedling, but I need to do some more delving. Could be more like Thurgaton or Carlton? Though for some reason the marriage listings didn't cover the 1800s, when I know my Gt Gt Gt grandad moved to the area from Thurgaton.

Here is a link to the information I have been reading. No idea how I found it?

https://archive.org/stream/HistoryOfTheParishOfGedling/History of the Parish of Gedling#page/n255/mode/2up

If the link opens up half way through the booklet, just click on the title (top left)and it will take you to the first page. Then just click the pages and it will turn to the next one.(I'll get it right one day).

• Upvote 4

That's really interesting Carni, it opened half way through but I just looked at a few pages right there and saw the names Bardolf, Stanhope, Beaumont.   All school houses at Carlton-Le-Willows GS.  Also a page with ''Carlton in the Willows' scribed on it.  I always wondered why they called the school that name.  Will have a good browse when I have more time, thanks for putting it on here. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks Lizzie, I was quite fascinated at how many people I knew as I grew up, whose ancestors went so far back around Gedling. There were at least ten family names of friends listed, going way back.I started reading the entries from around 1200s and as time got on, the names came up time and time again. Not noted people, just ordinary folk, and quite a few living in the village and on the estate as I grew up. I bet a few would be surprised themselves at how far back their family names go. I just love this kind of stuff. 

I did a bit of Googling CliffTon, this is what came up. If you scroll down, you will find the image you have posted and some information. Very Interesting.

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/books/gedling1908/carlton.htm

Sorry I don't know where or if it still stands?

http://southwellchurches.nottingham.ac.uk/carlton-st-michael/hintro.php

Could this be it.

I think you've solved it; it seems to be the place in the second link. It mentions that the church building there now is not the same building which was there in the early 20th century, and everything else seems to fit. It's now called Foxhill Evangelical Church and is at the junction of Foxhill Road and Hillview Road. The road in the foreground of the photo is Foxhill Road and the house to the left is on Hillview.

I can't do a close-up modern equivalent on Streetview because one of the local residents obviously has something to hide and part of the Streeview image has been removed. It's the building in the middle distance here.  https://goo.gl/maps/KnwEYgXwuqr

• Upvote 1

Nice find Carni . I could see some names in the marriages that are familiar . Shelton seems to appear a lot and that is one of my ancestors names . Also saw Fletcher and Straw which also feature in my tree . (Though latterly Carlton)

• Upvote 1

Bubblewrap, I just had a look again on #60 at the title of the book I have posted and on page 71. It Is by Gerring and it looks as if it is a copy of a "Library Book" it starts to list the marriages in the Parish registers for the dates you have given. It looks like the title of the one you have recommended. Could it be the same one? I will keep searching to see if I can find the Marriage listings from the 1812 date.�

Thanks Cliff Ton, I just had a quick look through and I can't see any of my lot, which adds to my thoughts that most of my ancestors married in Snienton and Carlton and possibly Gedling from around 1800s onward.

Lots of interesting info in that little book to read. Will keep me out of mischief for hours. 

• 2 months later...

Interesting posts on here from a while ago!  I too went to the record shop mid 1960s.  records were 6s and 8d each.  Three for a pound if you were feeling rich!  Skellington's barbers my brother always called Skeletons,  I really thought this was his name. I remember Lillians wool shop too.  Happy days!

Was Lillians wool shop opposite the School on Main Rd. I went in there regularly as a child

when Mam was Knitting our winter jumpers. The order would be put away and we would fetch one

ball at a time when money permitted.

Going in once with my sister the lady owner (her name was probably Lillian) said to me are you the

one that has just had Influenza? no I said I've had the Flu. Well she said I think you had better wait

outside. Funny what you remember from your childhood.:rolleyes:

Sue , Lillian's was the first shop on the left after you turned left from Westdale , adjacent to the rear of what I think was the Co-op.

On this steetview amazingly still a wool shop .

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@52.972212,-1.081657,350.34h,4.08p,2.33z