:mellow: As a teenager during the 60's, I wondered why 'The Fab Four' had written the song: 'When I'm 64'; they couldn't have been much older than me at the time.

Later, I found out that the group had based their lyrics on a Buddhist philosophy: that when a person is 64 yrs of age, then they should know what LIFE is all about - in other words, one can sit back and observe.

Well, I'm 66 yrs now and over the last 10 years my life has been tough, I'll not sit back and observe: I need to know the answer to some questions - about what happened to me......................

'Rage, rage against the dying of the light.' (Dylan Thomas)

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The other day a young person asked me how I felt about being old. I was taken aback, for I do not think of myself as old. Upon seeing my reaction, she was immediately embarrassed, but I explained that

I think Plant fit sums it up. Every day there is something new and a new attitude to life struck up. You can either go with the flow or be like you have always been. To me growing old is not wear

I was just having one of my 'Senior Moments', where my eyes just happen to go into stare mode and I drift of into oblivion; Day-dreaming about what ever enters my imagination at those moments. Only t

Ref #58 Commo we seem to visit charity shops nearly everyday so I must be positively ancient by now .

My wife can always find some garment and I have a look at books and cds.

At one time I used to find some good CDs and hate paying more than 50p but more recently there is nothing about for me .Maybe people get rid of cds via Music Magpie these days .

Almost every charity shop has a Steps cd and strangely The Corrs (who I quite like) in their shelves.It must be compulsory !

Thick southern retards on TV. Could it be when Eastenders started?

Beachbum, re #62, this is one of my many rants, thought it was just me that that got so incensed with this pronunciation. Mrs Commo gets quite uptight when I go on about "modern" pronunciations, so I 've at least one ally in you!

• Upvote 1

I wonder why we pronounce words, but it's the pronunciation of words?? I would have thought it would be pronunce a word....Odd language ours is...

I wouldn't worry about local accentuation of words, been going on for centuries, if you want an Egg for breckie in NZ ask for an "IGG"

Reminds me of the Scots couple who went to France for the first time. The fellow (who had a bit of education - he thought) told his wife "It's verrra' simple ye ken. If ye want an egg, ye just say 'oof '." "Aye," she replied, "Ah kin see that - but whau' if ye want twa eggs?" "Och, dinna fret yersel'," says Jock. "Ye jist hef tae say 'twa oofs'.....then they'll bring' ye three, and ye gie 'em one back."

• Upvote 4

My mum was a stickler for speaking correctly. Pretty good to say she was spawned in Radford. But I think you are right. East-Enders has a lot to answer for. Why do words ending in er end up being pronounced as ar ? Also, why are they always falling out with each other on that programme. I can't say much about modern teenagers though. We were teenagers once and like them we tried to push out the boundaries. Our parents were more likely to take responsibility for our behavior. That is why they were a bit more strict. I think that people are less willing to take responsibility for their actions these days. If I had tried to steal a car when I was young (and they were so much easier to steal) my mum would have been in there. You would have felt the heat off my backside for weeks.

Here's a thought. Does your car make a groaning noise when you get out?

I used to have a Vauxhall Zaffira. They are a bit higher up and I found them easier to get in and out of. When the MOT looms on my Focus I will have a look for another used Zaffira if I can get one at a reasonable price.

I hate dropping anything on the floor. I struggle to bend down and pick things up.

I am not bothered if people speak, spell or write correctly, or not.

Over the years I have worked with people from France, Germany, Tunisia, USA, Holland, Ireland Scotland, Canada, Australia, Yorkshire, London, Kent, Et cetera, Et cetera, Et cetera.

But no matter how it is pronounced, written or spelt, a tree is a tree..

I am now too old and a lot more wiser to be Pedant

• Upvote 3

I can remember back in the mid 60's,we began to use words like, cool, man,chicks,etc'the older generation must have thought the same thing about us.

Back then, I think we had more going for us, in regards to entertaining ourselves,and we never had much money.

If you had ten bob on a Tuesday night you were 'rolling in it'.

What about those white youths that talk like black youths. What's that all about?

i'm by no means a snob and still have my Nottm accent, but when I see and hear these cretins it makes my skin crawl.

When we were last there in the uk we accidentally caught a couple of Jerremy Kyle shows (not by choice) and after, when we came across similar "objects" (read persons) I developed the nick name for them of "Kyle Fodder".

Still use it here when we come across such unfortunates, occasionally.

I shudder to think of the next generation that they seem so good at producing, they seem little good for much else.

• Upvote 2