5p Charge for carrier bags !

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The big problem I can see with this is that the English government has added proviso's and people are trying to take advantage of those provisos. The Welsh deal that's been going since 2011 has no pro

If the powers that be are so concerned about plastic bags, they should turn their attention to items being 'over packaged'.

Doctors are a lot like carrier bags, people won't realize their value until they have to start paying for them. Next!

Thought we were discussing carrier bags......

Politicians in plastic bags, best place for them.....

In large supermarkets, there used to be a big receptacle for customers to put their surplus bags in. You could always use a few of those.

Actually, I bet the bin isn't there now so customers have to pay.

I was in Southampton shopping at the weekend, and had a large Sports Direct bag with me. The trouble is, it's heavy when full, and the missus wouldn't carry the bloody thing.

In our Tesco there are usually empty fruit boxes at the checkout; you can put your stuff in these for FREE. However, being in Scotland they don't last long before they are all taken!

I invested some of my hard earned on a deluxe shopping trolley for Mrs Catfan, Nice n big to get most of the shopping in leaving one hand free to carry a bag in. Sorted.

This will soon recoup my investment.

• Upvote 1

Found 2 ikea bags in the garage, they'll do for me.......

Can anyone confirm this.The day before the introduction of the bag charge, the BBC News, of course, had a feature about it. Liz and I both watched it and it was stated that bags would still be provided free for fresh meat and fish. I went into both Tesco and Sainsbury's yesterday and none of them seemed aware of this, so what's the truth of the matter?

• Upvote 2

Just tell them you want a bag, or you won't buy the product.

My local supermarket (Scotland) sometimes puts meat, chicken or fish in a plastic carrier bag, sometimes not.

#89. They do put your fresh meat or fish into a bag at the counter, don't they? I don't think they are expected to put them into a bag for life at the checkout as well - I may be wrong?

I go totally radical when on a smaller shop,no basket or trolley- put items in my bag for life..up to checkout, and always turn bag upside down after putting stuff on the belt so I don't get nabbed.Have not purchased a bag in 5 years.

Can anyone confirm this.The day before the introduction of the bag charge, the BBC News, of course, had a feature about it. Liz and I both watched it and it was stated that bags would still be provided free for fresh meat and fish. I went into both Tesco and Sainsbury's yesterday and none of them seemed aware of this, so what's the truth of the matter?

Bags are provided free for certain items, including fresh meat and fish.

If I ever want information relating to bureaucracy, I visit the appropriate gov.uk site which explains the facts...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/carrier-bag-charges-retailers-responsibilities

• Upvote 1

Went in the local chippy today & NO CHARGE for plastic bag.

So two cans of pop in chippy is ok but in a supermarket then it's an extra 5p !

No sense at all.

You only have to pay for bags if the company employs more than 250 people.

How about Greggs, or Birds. The shop may only employ five or six, but the main company hundreds.

• Upvote 1