Going for the rations

Why would they do that when the character wasn't invented until 1976?

I'm glad you spotted my deliberate typing mistake.

Should have been 1977.

I am ashamed, red-faced, embarrassed, and doddery. (Tsk!)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think we used to get chicken giblets that didn't require a ration coupon, and were very cheap - big bag for a shilling. Chicken necks, livers, kidneys, stomachs, etc. The stomachs had to be skinned

I remember it well!! As a young kid I joyfully went to get my monthly sweet ration and duly handed over my precious coupon which was cut out of the ration book. What a joy in about 1950 that I was a

#47 Sounds like the same stuff, carni. I can't remember much apart from the great taste and the fact that it was in something like clear medicine bottles. This would be latter fifties.

• 1 year later...

By the time I joined Marsdens - they comprised of Marsdens, Farrands, Vernons Price Down, G Favours, and another one I can't remember, the last two operating in the south.

The Vernons Price Downs were converted from Marden and Farrand shops that were not doing so well. They were cheap and cheerful, limited range of foods, but cheaper than the others.

The ones I worked at were at St Anns Well Road (opposite Cathcart Street on the corner), and Radford Boulevard.

The shops inspector, a Scotsman, used to roll his sleeves up and help with the menial tasks if we were short handed. Often he would help with weighing and packing the lard or butter - While smoking his pipe!

Ah.. memories.. thanks for reminding me Commo. Take care.

Oh.. I've remembered the other name they traded under Bristows!

Sorry about long quote,but whilst looking at old threads found this one,cliff ton thought i'd made it up about Vernons stores, lol.but good old TGC,actually worked in em,and if he reads this,the Scotsmans name was Tommy Lindsey,....and thanks TGC i'd forgot about the Bristows stores,but dont tell cliff ton he wont believe us,......lol.

whilst looking at old threads found this one,cliff ton thought i'd made it up about Vernons stores,

It's just that I don't remember them ! One day something will crop up on Picture the Past to prove they existed.

I remember going to what Mam called the 'Food Office' on Burton Road, just round from Dr Parks Corner for baby formula and orange juice and i think also Cod Liver Oil and Malt, she had a little book for that. I can't remember what a ration book looks like but i have a feeling she used them, Has anyone got a photograph of one to remind me. I am thinking back to around 1950ish, would they still be around and in use then.

picking up this thread carni. I was sent to the same food office, I would tell me mam they hadn't got no cod liver oil, horrible stuff but the orange juice was lovely for us kids in them days. Teeee heeee.

• Upvote 2

I remember shenthalls at Carlton square. Mossops The chemist and seem to remember they had a slight explosion mixing chemicals i,m sure there was something in the post about this.

I do remember that lovely orange juice, in quite small bottles, I can't recall if you had to mix it with water. I can also remember orange juice you got in bottles from the Co-op milk-man.

karlton,I can also remember mossops,shentalls,I think the post office was there too.Coming up carlton hill was Mckinleys,I think they sold sweets and toys,a shop that sold wet fish,I seem to recall on the other side of the road a hairdresser Betty need,a shoe shop,a knitting wool shop.,crossing over the road again was knightons,a sort of hardware/household goods shop.

• Upvote 1

I remember the Kia Ora orange drink in a plastic carton that you could buy from the ice cream girl at half time at the pictures...now that was a very nice orange drink!!

I remember the Kia Ora orange drink in a plastic carton that you could buy from the ice cream girl at half time at the pictures...now that was a very nice orange drink!!

Here you go Trevor.....bring back any memories.

Not really, Dave 48. The Kia Ora from the pictures' ice cream girls was in a plastic coated carton, probably about a third of a pint in content and you used a straw. My taste buds are starting to run as I picture the orange taste.

Not really, Dave 48. The Kia Ora from the pictures' ice cream girls was in a plastic coated carton, probably about a third of a pint in content and you used a straw. My taste buds are starting to run as I picture the orange taste.

https://scatts.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/kia-ora.jpg?w=300&h=400

Is This better Trevor.

Getting close there, Dave 48......you have the ice cream girl at the pictures, the orange drink and the fact that is was cold and delicious BUT, the containers were not that shape and not transparent. They were similar in shape and make up to a current day milk container but with rounded edges.

But Kia Ora was good.................

Another thing you could do with the straw and the paper wrapper it came in was to tear up the wrapper into 3-4 pieces, roll each piece into a dart and then just like a blow dart, blow the paper dart through the straw at some unsuspecting twerp in the audience. Even better from up in the Gods and all your mates did it at the same time - over the balcony into a specific area of the stalls below.

• Upvote 1

Well, full marks for effort, Dave. I can remember the plastic containers were what you usually got at the pictures in the sixties, but I also remember the smaller version of those cardboard containers, perhaps they came first?

You didn't add water to the orange juice, TBI. Top off, straight down the hatch..lol

Am I thinking of the same stuff, Michael? It came in a bottle that was almost like a medicine bottle, very thick and sweet?

I remember on the visit to The Ministry of Food Office on Burton Road; one of the things mam used to get was a concentrated orange juice. I could never understand why she wouldn't let us have a drink until we got home. The only way to shut us up was to let us try it. Perhaps that is what you rememberTBI.

• Upvote 2

#39 Clifton

correct Cliff the post office was on the left at the very begining of station rd round the corner from the chemist there was some huge advertising boards, behind them was Carlton electro plating I think and they moved onto colwick industrial site.

further down there was a jetty that ran from station road onto burton road I think there there was the Kia Ora club I think.

further down there was a jetty that ran from station road onto burton road

I think this shows that path. The car (Vauxhall) is on Station Road facing towards Netherfield; the large empty space behind the wall to the right is now approximately the car park at Carlton Square.

carlton_1.jpg

• Upvote 2

Sounds like the same stuff, carni. I can't remember much apart from the great taste and the fact that it was in something like clear medicine bottles. This would be latter fifties.

• Upvote 2