I See that some Caribbean countries are getting together to sue us for our part in the slave trade 200 years ago.!

we will probably cough up its only a few billion,as we did with Kenya last year.

we free and compensate members of the IRA,(SOME EVEN FINISH UP IN GOVERNMENT) Then we prosecute our own military.

WHEN WILL THESE SELF INFLICTIONS END?

• Upvote 3

With this country & it's PC attitudes nowadays, nothing ever surprises me anymore.

We are more than happy to dole out money to other countries & causes such as this while our pensioners freeze or starve in winter, when ex-pat pensioners get winter fuel payments.

The mind really does boggle.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

They should be paying us for providing them with the opportunity for a better life living in the Caribbean. Likewise, the USA wouldn't be what it is today without the efforts of former slaves. I appreciate that life was difficult right up to the 1960's but the black man is better in the Americas than ever they would be in Africa.

• Upvote 2

And I blame the French for Australia's rabbit problem :)

If the Normans hadn't introduced them here in the first place we(the English) couldn't have took them over there. ;)

• Upvote 3

How about sueing Scadinavia for all the raping and pillage carried out here by the Vikings and the Romans look a trifle guilty, not to mention all those northerners climbing Hadrian's Wall. The ambulance chasing solicitors should be employed to look into this!

• Upvote 3

Tony B Liar raised this subject a few years ago when he was planning the downfall of this great country, he suggested they should be compensated for for all the crap WE put them through, what a lot of people don't realise is the tribal chiefs in Africa where these "slaves" came from sold them to the highest bidder this enabled him (the chief) to get rid of the rubbish and wasters from his villages leaving him with just the productive blacks to work in and around the villages for him, if they'd have been a bit quicker at running away they would'nt have got caught to have been sold, alright they had to work on the sugar and cotton plantations but the alternative was to have been starved to death or killed to get rid of them, no village in Africa at the time could afford to carry dead wood,(same as today)England to the rescue once again throwing money at them to help them carry on breeding

Rog

I know I wil probably get shot down for this but what the hell !!!!

• Upvote 2

With this country & it's PC attitudes nowadays, nothing ever surprises me anymore.

We are more than happy to dole out money to other countries & causes such as this while our pensioners freeze or starve in winter, when ex-pat pensioners get winter fuel payments.

The mind really does boggle.

I'm an ex pat pensioner and I don't get winter fuel allowance, only UK resident pensioners qualify for that allowance.

I might also add, regarding slaves, many, many white people were slaves in the early days of the US, problem is, it's not taught in schools..Indentured Servants was the correct title, but still a slave until the term of indenture expired.

I wonder when I can claim some money off of our aristocracy for the way our ancesters were treated as surfs??? Maybe sue the Italians and French for when they invaded Britain, and what about those Vikings who raped and pillaged our anscestors?? Sue the Danes, Norwegans and Swedes I say!!

When will all this childish PC nonsense end???

• Upvote 1

I'm an ex pat pensioner and I don't get winter fuel allowance, only UK resident pensioners qualify for that allowance.

In that case I stand corrected ! We have relatives who live in Tennerife for 5 months during our winter & they still get it.

• Like 1

Anybody would think that we were speaking of a special 2 for 1 offer in the supermarket. All I know about the slave trade is what I've read or seen on the TV and I've always found it horrific. The Africans may have lived in mud/other huts, hunted in the jungle for food and made instruments for music and dancing but that was their way of life. I would assume that they were quite happy living with their wife and children in their village because they knew of no other lifestyle. Everything changed for them when the slave ships arrived. Many would have been killed in the ensuing battles and the ships wouldn't have left until they were full. The slaves were chained in the hold of the ship and can you imagine the conditions in which they were kept?, No sanitation, little food and water and disease resulted in many of them dying a horrible death. Those that survived the voyage to England and America etc would then have to survive the cruelty of their new 'owners'. It was to Englands credit that they eventually had slavery banned.

I do think it's ridiculous for these countries to try and sue because, where do you stop?. Every country on Earth would be suing another country and how far back in history do you go?

• Upvote 1

I presume their main country of residence is the UK though Catfan??

I'm not a UK resident, I reside in the us these days, so I'm not qualified for the winter fuel allowance.

It's been the way of the world for millenia Mike, the Egyptians had the Jews as slaves, Romans had about everybody as slaves in the known world back then, Native Americans enslaved their captors after a battle with another tribe...

Arabs bought blacks and sold them to the European slave traders..Slave trading still goes on, even though it's against International and national laws.

• Upvote 1

And I blame the French for Australia's rabbit problem :)

If the Normans hadn't introduced them here in the first place we(the English) couldn't have took them over there. ;)

I was always taught, the Romans introduced them to Britain :)

Britain actually stopped the slave trade - virtually alone - through the Royal Navy. The slaves in the British Empire were freed nearly 200 years ago. We get no thanks for that, and are expected to pay for crimes committed by our remote ancestors? This is utterly insane. If we pay up we may as well just give up and start claiming compensation from everyone ourselves.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Far east too, mostly in the sex trade, Arabs still practice it in Saudi... It's far from dead.

On one of my lines of ancestors, they were mostly agricultural labourers, at a time when pay was a pittance and nobody in that line of work was able to afford their own homes so lived in tied cottages. If there was no work, there was no pay, so they had to rely on Parish welfare payments to survive. And as soon as they couldn't work, they were out of the cottage and into the workhouse.

All in all, not that different from the conditions many slaves endured.

Which is why I'll be damned if any of my hard-earned goes on any spurious claims from descendants of slaves.

• Upvote 1

It's the Daily Mail (Again)(Tory mouth piece)

Do you really believe that story ?

There must be some other reason for the railway employees non arrival.?

Only a fool believes newspapers are all fact...... :)

Newspapers like politicians, it seems to me, for too many years, or has been concerned with right or left instead of right or wrong

The Daily Mail is a particularly repulsive rag. I don't believe it is really Tory, it hates everyone and everything equally. It is relentlessly negative about everything.

In case you're all in any doubt, I hate the Daily Mail.

• Upvote 2

I feel the same about the Guardian