Does anyone have any stories of the brilliant local actor Richard Beckinsale,he was born in carlton in 1947 (the same as I was),but surprisingly I have no idea where in carlton he and his family lived,(does anyone know?)are there any of his old friends or his family still around,from porridge to rising damp to name but two of his acting successes.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had a look at the births and marriages records . Carni is right , there is a marriage in Basford district (which includes Carlton) in 1941 between Arthur J Beckinsale and Maggie Barlow . If you

I didn't know his family. I knew him he was on the same Drama course as me at Clarendon College along with Janet (was it Sewell?), David Dixon, Joanne Allen and others I cannot remember the names of.

Are you researching material Batesy, for a book or article on Richard Beckinsale ?

A chap I used to work with lived next door to Richard and his family on Orlando drive carlton, Kate Beckinsale used to play with my friends daughters at the time.

This was in his early days as an actor.

Where was or is Orlando drive,sounds a bit exotic for the carlton I knew,I remember the likes of "Russia",cavo reck,conno field where a gang of us played footy using coats for posts ,valley road reck,Gregory garden place(think that was on "Russia",sunshine corner at the top of carlton hill(in the church there),the drill hall(carlton square)ect,but I never new Orlando drive,sounds pretty apt for a star like Richard Beckinsale though.

In between jobs I worked at Stanton iron workes,and I know Robert Lindsay worked there before going on to make a name for himself.I feel a sense of pride and closeness that out of the hard working down to earth family of people,we help to produce such talented off spring.not on a personnel gain,but on the area we are from,and the part we all played in it.brilliant

orlando drive was oposit ritz cinema burton rd now the care home and geling rd the ther side was the drs surgery now day nursery

the penticostal church on standill rd sunshine corner, station rd penticostal also did sunsine corner ,

sunshine corner it is very fine

its for children up to 99

all are welcome wont you come on in

but i carnt remember the last line can any body else who went..

russia was between fox hill rd and cavendish rd were richard herrod centre is now part of it still waste land

gregory rose gardens between cavendish rd and westdale lane between buxton ave and the cavo pub.closed early 60s alot of the rose bushes in the houses in that area came from gregorys as they were giving them away when they closed down i know the ones in our garden and all our nieghbours did.

conno field know as the alps cuz of all the hills on there they built a dry sky slope on foxhill rd side when they opened carlton fourum was that about 66/67. used to go over there a lot to mysisters or back home from her house she lived on highfield drive the other side of carlton pub

Piggy and babs,do you know where the dividing line is then between carlton and gedling ,where does carlton end and gedling start,because as a youngster I would have thought Orlando road was in gedling(even though I never knew of the road before today)

Both those brothers are still around ( so are the other 3 )...one of em's in spain now...I don't think any of his family are still in Chilwell..he did have a house on Woodland Grove too...near College House School where he went ( they put a blue plaque up for him there not long ago. ( at the school )).

Gedling?

Looking at Google maps. Perhaps

I would say the left hand side of westdale lane going starting from down from Shelford road/chesterfield Ave.

Roads off WD lane would all be carton?

Blackhill drive to Railwayline. Possibly bounded by Spring lane to the northeast, (See Gedling Wood)

Stu may be more of an expert of the top boundaries?

When we were kids, we used to say that if you walked up Westdale Lane with one leg each side of the white line in the middle of the road, you were in Carlton and Gedling at the same time! No idea if it's true, but we did it anyway! Is it true Stu?

• Upvote 1