Hello lovely Nottm/ex-Nottm folks! Just a quick question for all.

I'm currently working on one of my final assignments for my university degree, and with the question being 'Is Nostalgia Essentially Melancholic?' I thought of you fine people and thought I'd ask all of your opinions to help me out a little!

So... thought's anyone? Does reminiscing about the happy past make us a little sad deep down?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am sure we all have Nostalgic moments, where we think about things from our lives in the past. I know I do, very often, in quiet moments and I find it happening more often these days. There are thi

I NEVER BELIEVE,people who say they "have no regrets" i think we all have.and as you say darkazana "learned by them" !

We all have not so good memories of the past, choices and decisions we have made which may have been different if we had hindsight, but altogether they have made us into the people we are. Though we m

My take on it.

Many people seem to think the past was always better than the present.

People tend to remember the good things which happened, and your mind conveniently forgets the bad things which happened - unless you really concentrate.

If you could actually go back in time and re-live the past, I think you'd be amazed at all the unpleasant and unhappy and boring things you'd forgotten; because the past was always perfect...wasn't it?

• Upvote 1

It certainly does because I often look back and think of things I could have done better of differently. Some happy times that I know can never be repeated, but the thing is to stay positive.

• Upvote 2

I am sure we all have Nostalgic moments, where we think about things from our lives in the past. I know I do, very often, in quiet moments and I find it happening more often these days. There are things that happen through our lives that aren't always nice to remember, but they have happened, so will keep popping into our thoughts, there is no way they will go away, but we don't have to dwell on them, if that is possible. The Nostalgia we do hang on to and enjoy are the pleasant things that have happened in our lives, that make us smile, bringing those moments back for a short time. Nostalgia comes in many forms, People; places, times happiness and sadness and I cherish the moments that I spend in my daydreams of times gone by. :)

• Upvote 7

To your question. Does reminiscing about the happy past make us a little sad deep down?

I have a simple answer and that is, Yes, because even if the memory's of the past are happy ones, there is always a tinge of sadness in the subconscious, because they are in the past and can never be relived...

• Upvote 3

Thanks for the link Siddha.

I was typing my comments when carni put her post on and, basicly it's similar to what I was going to put. I've deleted my comments and I'll just concur with carni's excellent post (#8).

Good luck with your degree, MelissaJKelly.

Thanks a lot Michael. I agree. Brilliant post by Carni. All of the responses have been really helpful!

• Upvote 2

Meltonstilton #12.

You almost wrote A Shropshire Lad there: (A E Houseman)

INTO my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.
  • Upvote 3

A very good book to read touching on this subject:- "The idle thoughts of an idle fellow" by Jerome K Jerome.

Smiffy

• Upvote 1

down the whiteheart last night a rear place of past and present for me and a lot of people who go there on a thursday night my freind said to me are we right living in the past all the time or should we move on my answer to her was if you feel you living in the past then you shoudnot be i personly belive im living in the present and my memories (notstalgia) of the past both good and bad are what has made me the person i am today(nature or nurture). that is one of the reasons i so like this siteand like many people have said we tent to post the happy things in our life and keepthe not so good things in our lives to ourselfs sometimesthey are things thatonly the closesed people in our lives are told about sometimes there are things we think are better kept to our selves as long as you can cope with keeping those things in your life to yourself its ok but if they are affecting your present life then maybe you need some help so you can cope with it.

• Upvote 2

the good things have made me happy made me laugh and made me cry sometimes

the bad things have made me sad made me cry made me mad

but both have made me stroger.

• Upvote 1

thanks mellisahope out thoughts and comments helps you with your assighnment

• Upvote 2

You can access the book via www.theliteraturepage.com/read/idlethoughts.html

Go to chapter 14 (Memory)

Good look with your assignment, literature will help to ensure that you will hopefully appreciate and enjoy life's moments now, before it becomes nostalgia.

You can then look back and enjoy it again at a later date, knowing that the you have read your own particular book before, Nostalgia ! you can flick through some of the pages to the good bits.

Smiffy

• Upvote 1

If that link does not work just type in the idle thoughts of an idle fellow Jerome k Jerome and look for the "the literature page" link it should take you to JKJ's book (Chapter 14)

Smiffy