Radio Programmes of the 50's & 60's

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember both. Richard Murdoch and Kenneth Horne in Much Binding, an RAF station. Kenneth Horne, Kenneth Williams, Betty Marsden and others in Round the Horne. A very well written and amusing comedy

A day I don’t offend someone is a day wasted Barrie! 

I've been reminded of this on another forum where it was mentioned.  'Listen with Mother' in the early 60s; this is the music which played out the programme.    

What about Dick Barton and his friend Dizzy Dial?  My older brother used to list to listen to that,  I listened but had no idea what it was about.  I remember the music though.

I remember both. Richard Murdoch and Kenneth Horne in Much Binding, an RAF station. Kenneth Horne, Kenneth Williams, Betty Marsden and others in Round the Horne. A very well written and amusing comedy programme.

There’s nothing remotely funny on radio or tv these days. It is, of course, very difficult nowadays to be funny without someone taking offence. Some people just like to be offended so they can complain. Bring back the Black and White Minstrel Show.

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Bring back the Black and White Minstrel Show.

Prefer it if you don't and not for political reasons, the singing was awful,

Most comedians now are obseravational rather than situation based. Ricky Gervais was cringe making in the office but as a stand-up is not only funny but thought provoking.

3 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I think some of the humour of that show would be called to account by the snowflakes now.

Oooo bona Mr Mayfield whatever do you mean....

Got to agree with your statement above Phil. That's why I've decided to curb some of my banter on here. At least until I get to know the recipient a bit better.

• Like 1
On 1/21/2024 at 4:57 PM, philmayfield said:

I remember both. Richard Murdoch and Kenneth Horne in Much Binding, an RAF station. Kenneth Horne, Kenneth Williams, Betty Marsden and others in Round the Horne. A very well written and amusing comedy programme.

Round the Horne, great radio. I used to listen to the "Angus Prune" show, I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again. The forerunner of so much brilliant comedy.

https://youtu.be/iFZANDJaCxk

2 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

'Listen with Mother' in the early 60s; this is the music which played out the programme.

Strange, of course I used to listen to Listen with Mother but I have no recollection of this piece of music. Perhaps mum turned the radio off before this was played.

1 hour ago, Oztalgian said:

Strange, of course I used to listen to Listen with Mother but I have no recollection of this piece of music. Perhaps mum turned the radio off before this was played.

I remember the music and I’m sure ‘Listen with Mother’ was on the radio just before 2pm and followed by the shipping forecast which always fascinated me, with those strange names, even at a pre-school age!    Only recently a friend posted on Facebook the shipping areas around the UK and I’ve saved that map on my iPad!  

2 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Left Hand Down a Bit

Oh lummee

4 hours ago, LizzieM said:

followed by the shipping forecast which always fascinated me, with those strange names, even at a pre-school age!

Often fell asleep to the late-night Shipping Forecast Theme when I came home after an afternoon shift.

Classic BBC Radio Theme ~ Shipping Forecast (Sailing By) (youtube.com)

Composed by the great Ronald Binge. I am sure you know Elizabethan Serenade, one of his works too.

Ronald Binge - Elizabethan Serenade (youtube.com)

Sunday afternoon, summer, trip down to the Embankment,. warm sunny day, out comes the trannie "Alan Freeman" Hi Pop Pickers, here's the top 20     WHAT A LIFE?    eyes closed, sun smiling on your face, then later, see if there are any nice boys around.        Why did I grow up??

• Like 1

Sounds like the start to a dirty ditty - "By the sign of the swinging cymbal"...

• Like 1