The other day, for some reason, I got to wondering who named the planet the Earth and goggled at Google, which told me of various ideas from various countries and languages. Greek gods came into it but in the end a foreign word for the ground was translated as 'earth', and it stuck. What name would you attach to our planet?

global-water-volume-fresh.jpg All Earth's water, liquid fresh water, and water in lakes and rivers

Spheres showing:
(1) All water (sphere over western U.S., 860 miles in diameter)
(2) Fresh liquid water in the ground, lakes, swamps, and rivers (sphere over Kentucky, 169.5 miles in diameter), and
(3) Fresh-water lakes and rivers (sphere over Georgia, 34.9 miles in diameter).
Credit: Howard Perlman, USGS; globe illustration by Jack Cook, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (©); Adam Nieman.
view-larger.jpg View full size

As you know, the Earth is a watery place. But just how much water exists on, in, and above our planet? About 71 percent of the Earth's surface is water-covered, and the oceans

Although the earth`s surface is approx. 71% covered by water, the above picture humbles us as to how precious it is.

I would rename earth `Water' to demonstrate it`s wondrous place in our solar system.

• Upvote 1

3rd rock from the sun...

• Upvote 1

I rather like Gaia, widely thought to be where the word earth originates, though no one really knows as it is lost in the mists of time, Gaia, in mythology, being the Goddess who gave birth to our world and all in it, (hence Mother Nature) and as already mentioned is Greek for earth.

• Upvote 1

I would call Earth, Paradise. Most people believe Paradise to be up in the sky and maybe it is. It could also be here on Earth. We've all been to places on holiday, or on business, and seen places of outstanding beauty. We've all looked in magazines, watched TV travel shows and seen places around the World that are really beautiful and breathtaking. Ice capped mountains, beautiful beaches, woodlands, the Grand Canyon. There are so many places I could mention. Then there is all the animals in the world, all beautiful in their own way. What word can I use to describe all the flowers in the world. I recently watched the Chelsea Flower Show programmes on the TV and really enjoyed all the different varieties and colours on show. I could mention so many beautiful, exotic and wonderful things on our Earth but I'd be typing away until midnight. Yes, this is the reason why I would name our beautiful planet, Paradise. Why does the human race have to spoil it?.

• Upvote 5

Please don't conquer other planets. The aliens from up there will be landing on earth in their droves claiming benefits.