Would you pass your driving test today ?

My daughter is now taking driving lessons and i wanted to help her on the theory test that you have to take now. There's a website here where you can practise the theory:

http://www.dsa.gov.uk/mockpaper/theoryintro.htm#

Now I've been driving for 23 years now and when I took mine, there was no theory test so I thought I'd have a go and duly failed miserably!!!!

You need to get 30/35 to pass... I got 24 on my first go... Should I give up driving ?

• 10 years later...

There is no substitute for experience.

When someone passes the test they have only reached the minimum standard. Trouble nowadays is that driving instructor's only teach to pass the test, NOT to learn how to drive.

Big difference.

Why do driving instructors these days teach their pupils to put on their indicator light well after their brake lights come on,usually about 5 yrds from the junction

very difficult for colour blind people like me who find it difficult to see an indicator light when the brake light is lit,but if the indicator light comes on first at least I'm in with a fighting chance of guessing their intention

Rog

Driving in Italy is to say the least,   unpredictable. Traffic light sequence is different so if you are day dreaming waiting for the light to turn Green, you hear cars tooting behind you you. Traffic islands are a novelty at least in the smaller towns and villages and no one seems to know how to use them. Navigating an island this afternoon I had to be quick to avoid a collision with a lorry, this is a frequent happening. You certainly have to have your wits about you. There are certain m/ ways that I'm terrified of, especially around Turin never mind Milan and Palermo......daren't even think about it. Years ago a cousin took us around in a 500 and there were 7 of us in the car. Still can't believe we weren't stopped. But as the the saying goes......In Palermo theres traffffico.

• Upvote 2

Driving instructor was a Mr. Yardley at City and District School of motoring back in 62.  his favorite phrase was, "Ya know wot a mean?"  I think I knew what he meant.  :rolleyes:  Took my test in an Austin A40 at Basford it was busy around there.  Failed the first time.  Tester asked me "What did you see in your mirror just before you turned that last corner?   Oooops I hadn't a clue Cos a din't look didah?  Scraped through on the second one.  I think the examiner took pity on me.

I think a lot of the crazy driving these days comes from a generation that has always been used to having their own way.  They quickly get mad when someone gets in their way.  Road rage anybody?   If they are not getting mad its because they are texting their mates about some form of trivia.  Guess I'm gerrin cynical in me ode age.  Lots of 'em here.  Texting is supposed to be illegal when driving, but laws are made to be broken.  Nowt will happen to me is the general outlook it seems.

When master and I went to live in South Africa in the 70s, you had to take a theory test before you could get a licence, also in your driving test you also had reverse parking. I learnt to drive in a small Toyota truck which also had column change gear's. My next door's husband Quizzy was my instructor and he always took me where a load of cars were parked to practise my reverse parking ( I must have reverse parked at least 20 times each lesson) but I passed my test first time, the only problem was that when returning to the UK  I had to take my driving test again as my South Africa licence was not recognised in the UK.  Also since being back in the UK never/ never have I ever reversed parked, came back in 1975.

Like mary1947#18 when we came down under in 1975 we had to do a theory test. The examiner took one look at my red British driving license that effectively said all groups, asked me which side of the road do we drive on in Australia and gave me the equivalent license here.

Having worked and driven in many countries I have learned that traffic lights in S.E. Asia and India are for decoration only.

A couple of things from elsewhere that I wish we would introduce here are - From the UK the red and amber phase on traffic lights prior to changing to green, it would improve the number of cars getting through at each change as people would be ready for the green light.

- From the USA flashing amber lights during the night and light traffic times. Flashing amber for the priority road and steady amber to give way. It avoids sitting at red lights when there is no other traffic for miles.

• Upvote 1

Just walking back from the church carol service & crossing Cinderhill Rd on the pelican crossing, green man for me & RED for traffic & a car driver totally oblivious, straight through the lights ! Some will never learn.

• 5 months later...

He certainly is red ! His over use of the horn, deliberately looking for a near miss, why accelerate when there is a hazard ahead ? Yes so he can post his video clips on YouTube !

Also his choice of crap music playing in his car !

• 11 months later...

I remember when I took my driving test @ Chalfont Drive my instructor "Rana" said "if you get such & such try & humour him, he's a bastard" as I left the testing station with Mr Such & such carrying his clip board he said "can you read me that blue cars number plate over there?" My reply "front or back" his face was a picture. 

• Like 1