How Predictable Are You?

It's pretty simple maths really, or 'magician's force. Anyone who didn't end up on the smiley face messed up somewhere because it's impossible not to be.

all he does is remove an odd space when he's stopped on an even numbered move then the other way round.

• Upvote 1

Got me at the second attempt. What did I do wrong ?

• Upvote 1

Got me at the second attempt. What did I do wrong ?

Don't know. It's impossible to be on the square he takes away each time so there's only one possible outcome. Some squares are an odd number of moves away however you move so if he stops with an even number those squares can't be the one you are on. He then takes away one of those squares and then changes to an even count and removes an odd square etc. Change the squares to black and white like a chess chess board and it becomes obvious. If you start on a black and make an even number of moves you will always end up on a black again. So he removes a white. Then has you make an odd number of moves and you end up on a white so he removes a black etc. If you somehow end up on a black then you've counted wrong.

edit - Maybe I can explain it better.

The second time he takes a square away is after you have made 8 moves such that you can only be on a corner or the centre square, so he takes away a mid one. Next he has you make an odd number of moves (3) so you can only end up on a mid square so he takes away a corner. Next another odd (7) so you end up on one of the 2 remaining corners or the centre square so he takes away another mid one. Another odd (5) forces you onto a mid square so he takes away another corner. Two more moves and you are again on the sole mid square that remains and with the last go have to move onto the one remaining corner with a smiley face. At no time could you have been on the square he removed. Simply odd and even squares.

Right DJ, I'll try it on Mrs red, that should be fun, me trying to explain the procedure to her.

I'm sure the outcome will be painfull.

• Upvote 1

Right DJ, I'll try it on Mrs red, that should be fun, me trying to explain the procedure to her.

I'm sure the outcome will be painfull.

I'm still not sure I've managed to explain it very well either. It seems obvious in my head until I try and express it.