Married and living with parents

My parents got married in the late 1940s. They couldn't afford to buy anywhere to live, and presumably there wasn't much available in the way of rented accommodation. So for the first 4-5 years of their marriage they lived at my grandma's house (my mum's parents); that house in Radford was big enough for them to have the spare bedroom so at least they had some privacy.

Eventually they got a newly-built council house on Clifton and the rest is history. But I guess in those days it wasn't unusual to get married and then continue to live at your parents' house for several years.

Does it still happen?

• Upvote 1

Very common in continental Europe - mostly due to the high cost of housing. In Germany, it may take several generations to pay off a mortgage!

• Upvote 1

My parents were married in 1941 and went to live with my Mum's Mum, a widow, unitl they got their own place. Not an ideal start to a marriage, I suppose, but that's how things were. I don't know whether many young couples here would be prepared to put up with it now

Fascinating, I do (just) remember my parents living at my grandmother's three storey house for a time.

My grandmother and grandfather lived on the ground floor, my mother and father (plus three children) the first floor and my aunt and uncle (no children) on the top floor.

Not quite the Waltons, but It was a cosy arrangement and from what I do remember a fairly happy household. Everyone shared with shopping and small jobs around the house.

This arrangement went on for about a year or so then my aunt and uncle moved to a new house (at Clifton).

The vacated upper floor then became our adventure playground complete with top floor views from the sash windows !

We would "camp" on the bedroom floor, or play hide and seek.

Later, we too moved out (to Clifton) and my grandparents had the house to themselves again.

Years later, after the death of my grandmother, my grandfather told me they both actually missed us all after we had left.

People did seem to tolerate other people being around in those days, not sure if it would work nowadays?

Perhaps it could be the future solution to the housing shortage and solve the bedroom tax problem !

Smiffy

• Upvote 1

when we got married i went to live with daves mum and dad worst mistake i ever made after 2 years we moved in next door still no privacy even when we locked the door if any body ever asks me if they should move in with parents inlaws i always tell the dont do it even if it means going into somewere thats not rrealy what you would like find somewere of your own at a lower price then move up the ladder.at least 2 streets aways from the family.

• Upvote 2

My maternal Grandma had four daughters and one son (no husband - he left for another woman in London) and lived in a 2 story house in Holme Road, West Bridgeford.

All the daughters were dating and immediately after the War, all got married. The son had left home and was in the Merchant Navy; never to return home and eventually jumped ship in Australia..

Three of the daughters and their new husbands (including my Mum and Dad) continued to live with Grandma at Holme Road forseveral years until they had saved enough money to get their own houses. The 4th daughter and her husband had moved in with the husband's parents.

Accommodation at Holme Road was limited and my parents lived in the attic bedroom, even after I was born. My Aunt Jean and her husband lived and slept in the downstairs front room until they migrated out here to Oz in Feb, 51.

We had moved to Carnarvon Road, WB the previous year and shortly afterwards moved to ROT.

I was always told the reason behind the families living with Grandma for 4-5 years was that she had a big enough house and, although she charged them rent, it was the best way to save for their own homes.

Entirely different story many years later when Grandma sold her house and lived with each of her daughters in turn for some time before running foul of the husbands. Probably a good job that she came out to Australia and lived out her days with her daughter Jean. By all accounts, it saved the time of the Courts in judging someone guilty of grievous bodily harm, if not murder, as my dear, sweet old Gran was a right old tyrant when it came to the men that her daughters had married....but that is another story.

The wife and I........straight into rented houses until we could afford our own home. No in-laws staying with us and no children living with us now - they visit and sometimes stay for a few days but we always know that we will have the house and our lives back to ourselves before very long. slywink

• Upvote 1

When we got married in 67 we had very little apart from each other so lived with my mum and dad for around 6 months, bad idea, as my new bride and my mum never really got on even though my wife was working full time.

We moved out to an old house down Gladstone street Hyson green and began to save for our own place. we stayed there for around 2 years then moved in with my wifes dad for around 6 months, a widower, and managed to save a bit more for a deposit on our first home of our own on Perlethorpe Ave gedling.

It was never perfect living with family but gave us the opportunity to move up the ladder to start buying our own place, we both worked, and by this time we had our first born so even then my wife worked while my mum looked after our son.

Hard times but worth it in the end.

• Upvote 1

Similar story! married with a child on the way we had no choice but to live with my parents, fortunately I had my name down on the council waiting list from a previous relationship and that came up trumps after a year when we were given a flat in Clifton. Two years later moved to where we are now, the mortgage was a mill stone untill the kids were in school and the missus could go out to work part time. Now here we are 44 years later in a marriage my mother gave 12 months.

• Upvote 3
  • 1 year later...

One of those things you can't make blanket rules about. Seems to work for some, a disaster for others.

The film, "a Kind of Loving." Made around 62 I think and available on You-tube made an impression on me at the time. I would never have wanted to go through what they went through.

I married in 1974 as I had a job in London lined up so we married so we would be together and went to live at my parents as it didn't seem worth getting a place of our own as we would be going to London any day. The job fell through as the ira became active and the job relied on lockers on railway stations (it's a long story) so we ended up at my parents for about 6 months. It was a disaster as my mum was rather difficult and we had a really dreadful time. Found a flat in the end over a hairdressers in Radford and remained there for a couple of years.

Sadly this could be a returning feature in the future. Very few Council Houses to rent & private renting is no cheaper than buying.

I can see couples living with family until such time they can afford a deposit to buy their own place. Just the same as years ago.

In my crazy teens I suggested to my first wife that we move in with her parents for the first few months of our marriage. They had quite a big house. She got on fine with her folks and so did I but she wasn't having any of that. She insisted that we rent anything rather than do that. She was right. Looking back I'm so glad we got ourselves a little two roomed flat. Things can change awful fast when you start living with folks.

Here's a slightly different slant,my Grandad and Grandma lived next day to us in Atlas Terrace 25 & 27. in 1955 my grandma at the ripe old age of 55 had a blackout as she was lighting the gas oven and as they had no safety device on that oven sadly she died Bonfire night 1955, so I always remember(along with becoming a gasfitter).

So the point is my Grandad moved in with us and slept in the same bedroom as me till I left home in 1965 and moved with my wife of now

50 years to Alexandra Park in a lovely 1st floor flat,I moved into that flat Goose Fair Thurs 1965 and my wife moved in 30th Oct the day we were married at St Saviours.

Different times,if you follow....

My parents got married in 1948 & I was born in 1949(Feb) we lived above my paternal grandparents shop in Carlton till 1953.

My parents were allocated a brand new council house (on Welbeck Avenue) in 1953.