Our Aussie national anthem is a load of old cobblers,one of the lines is "our land is girt by sea"I mean what is girt my Nan was called "Gert"don't seem to make any sense to me,we should have adopted "Waltzing Matilda" or "I still call Australia home "

I've just looked up in the Oxford Dictionary and girt means girded,well we didn't have girders in 1776 when Capt Cook discovered this land and stole it from the Aborigines,(that will stir up some angst)

#22 Chulla, none of us are totally ancestrally English, we are made up of many different bits of other countries from all the ancient invasions. Saxons, Normans, Vikings etc, my personal ancestry is of Viking descent

I LIKE to think i am of Viking descent,just liked their style,..you know coming to town in a long boat and having GOOD TIME.. :)

• Upvote 1

Captain Cook discovered nothing, the Portuguese were the first white people to locate Australia over 100 years pre Cook sailing on his voyage of "discovery"...LOL Evidence?? He had charts drawn by Portuguese seafarers, that's how he "found" the bay to beach his ship in, in what is now Queensland..Cook knew exactly where he was at all times..

Late Pommie friend of mine who lived in NSW, ex RAF, Mother was Portugese Father was an Englishman..wrote a paper for the Porugese Navy on the discovery of Australia by Portugese naval mariners..I forget the dates now..But when I lived in NSW a lead plaque was found just inland of the coast of WA, forget the location now, engraved in Portugese and dated... Proving they were the first known Europeans to set foot in Australia.

At that time, it was set out as Spanish territory by the Pope, and if found out by Spain that their neighbours had been trespassing, would have caused another war between the nations, so it was hushed up.

I like Australia Fair... But Walzing Matilda would have been a better anthem.

Ladies and gentlemen, I have to admit, but perhaps I shouldn't, that I find The Marsellaise, the French national anthem, to be the most inspiring, specifically the arrangement by Berlioz. It's full of the legendary Gallic flourish, but then it is only 'legendary'. Sadly our own does not show any English character whatsoever apart from apathy perhaps, and I think it should be changed, it has been suggested to, ' Land of Hope and Glory'. A national competition for a composition might be an idea but I suppose every other line will have to be in Hindi to be acceptable.

I Like the German anthem, don't understand the words but the music is stirring, same with the Russian anthem..

Sorry it wasn't the Portugese it was in fact the Dutchman Dirk Hartog in 1616 who first sighted that part of the Western Australian coastline about halfway up the coast from Perth.

They were there before the Dutch Bazza, there's been a lot of old papers been found, I recall seeing Bobs white paper, but alas my Portugese is about as good as my Mandarine, none existant...I should have asked Bob for a copy while he was still alive, in English, but hind sight comes into play again... Bob spent many years researching who landed on Australian soil first, great mate and sadly missed.

Like I stated, the Papal world was divided up as Spanish areas and Portugese areas to keep them from one anothers throats, and the part of the world "given" to Spain, contained "the great southern lands" Australia..

I always was mystified how Cook was "never lost" and seemed to "know" where safe harbours were in so call lands Brits had never sailed to.

Again, the Portugese charted the full coastline of New Zealand too, the charts were discovered many years back now and carried the charts dates...Many many years before Cook set sail, rumour has it, he used copies of the charts.

Remember, he had sealed orders and was under strict instructions not to open the orders until he reached a certain point in the Atlantic, something almost unheard of those days, especially on scientific voyages...My guess is he had a surprise when he opened them, which of course would be locked in his chest afterwards.

I like the Marseillaise for its music and of course its revolutionary origins.

"The song was written and composed in 1792 by Claude Joseph Rouget de Lisle during the French Revolutionary Wars, and was originally titled "Chant de guerre pour l'Armée du Rhin". The French National Convention adopted it as the Republic's anthem in 1795. It acquired its nickname after being sung in Paris by volunteers from Marseille marching on the capital."