Cliff Ton

Bottom end of Woodborough Road

So on this picture I took the other day, the gas board building was where the new buildings are adjacent to the delivery van at the end of Woodborough Road/Huntingdon Street?

op8ff9.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

So on this picture I took the other day, the gas board building was where the new buildings are adjacent to the delivery van at the end of Woodborough Road/Huntingdon Street?

Correct !

The Gas board building caught fire in the mid 60s the fire went up the lift shaft, the fire brigade had a job putting the fire out but did manage to save the building,however the cellars near the toilets at the rear of the yard were upto 4 feet in water and the stock of stoves,hot water units,and space heaters which were kept there had to be rescued.........

I must have walked past this building countless times from being a child holding mams hand, walking from Huntingdon St bus station going to Vicarage St to visit my Grandparents and relations living around the area. After leaving school I did the same journey most mornings myself whilst working at Raywarp on Alfred St North. I have closed my eyes and tried to imagine the building, one so large, but can't for the life of me remember it. This  makes me feel sad because, it makes me wonder how many more places and people have slipped from my mind. I do enjoy the pictures and it does take me back to the Nottm of my time there. I would love to go back in time, just for one day only, and see the places and people from a long time gone. One day in the future, people may be able to do that, in some way ..............ooooer........How many would want to come back?:)

• Like 4

That would be Chalky great bloke worked down Triumph road mains & service depot, in a mini van he would be first call to a problem instead of sending a gang out in the middle of the night.

A lot of 'on call' fitters lived on Woodborough road in that Victorian terrace just above the main building.

Ian when you described the building you forgot 'oily'

• Like 1

Double whammy..a boozer and a bus.16170402138-24921f3b22-b.jpg.Done the 51..but not The Craven..St.Augustines dome can be seen up the hill...had me confirmation in there.

• Like 5

Yes Malcolm i do recall that..Goldswong Terrace?..or summat similar..you did a re-visit and took some great snaps.

Looking from Victoria Station. The bottom end of Woodborough Road is where the houses are, with Huntingdon Street on the right, and the Gas building (three chimneys).

TPkTEBa.jpg

• Like 5

Fascinating photo, bringing back great memories - 31, Woodborough Road was my grandfather's shop - Oscar Shrive. He was a grocer who also sold bacon, cheeses and teas. He also sold corn and I used to love going to the shop from where we lived in Beeston Rylands to feed the corn to the pigeons! 
If you look at the map, the "bulge" at the front of the premises is where the garden used to be, and one of the few buildings that retained its metal railings (most were taken to be melted down for the war effort). I stood on those railings when Nottingham Forest passed by on a single decker bus with the FA Cup in 1959.
On Saturday or Sunday afternoons, we used to walk up the hill to the Arboretum, enjoying the park and free roaming peacocks :D

• Like 3

On 3/24/2019 at 9:07 PM, Cliff Ton said:

Looking from Victoria Station. The bottom end of Woodborough Road is where the houses are, with Huntingdon Street on the right, and the Gas building (three chimneys).

Cliff Ton

Great atmospheric photo

That wall on the right looks like a feat of engineering, just wonder how many bricks went into that?

On 11/5/2019 at 6:03 PM, Radio Pete said:

On Saturday or Sunday afternoons, we used to walk up the hill to the Arboretum

Back in the 60's we often caught the Blue Bus B8 from our village and got off at the Mapperley Rd, walked along Forest Rd then down Addison Street into the Arboretum.

Thought it was huge back in the day but looking now on Google earth it is really not that big, loved a Walls ice cream at the kiosk.

3 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

That wall on the right looks like a feat of engineering, just wonder how many bricks went into that?

At least part of it has survived, along with the rock face next to it.

atwWTHO.jpg

• Like 2