Cliff Ton

Bottom end of Woodborough Road

Told yer' that Woodborough Road area was jinxed dint i !

• Like 1

10 hours ago, catfan said:

Who said hate ?

I was referring to Rog's poster about 'hateful Christians' ...

• Upvote 1

Bit before NBL'S time here..1929...the Gas board building at the bottom of woodborough and hunto.67715.1.620.640.FFFFFF.jpg67716.1.620.640.FFFFFF.jpg

• Like 2

Rog...thats the first time i have ever seen the inside of this building...for years it was disused and filthy.

What a memory that is, when I started there back in Jan 62 the only two things that had changed were the vehicles and there was new neon strip lighting, all though the large mantle gas lamps were still there but not used.

Everyone gathered at 4pm on a Friday and the foremen would be on the loading dock on the left hand side to hand out the wages.

One time there was a one day strike, I along with the other appro's were set to sweeping that yard and up in roof to dust off the iron work.

Down the bottom end of the yard on the right hand side was a block of outside toilets, lippy appro's beware if you went there on a Friday tea time a fire hose would come under the door and you would go home extremely wet.

It were always scruffy Ian there was only one cleaner for all floors and outside, it's obliviously been cleaned up for the photographs.

• Like 2

This the Gas Board building being demolished in the spring of 1976..EMGB took it on years before...and then they attempted to sell it..but there were no takers.

On the right of the picure is the oriinal hayloft and stables .65317.1.620.640.FFFFFF.jpg

• Like 1

Where was the Gas Board building Ian? I can't get my bearings at all.

Been a few years David..but if you go up Mansfield rd.turn right.and there is a junction..or straight on up Woodborough rd...on the right hand side of Huntington st was where it stood.on the corner.

• Like 1

Thanks. I was 11 in 1976 but don't remember this at all.

• Like 1

This aerial shot shows how big the scale of rebuilding ( never to be seen again) was taking place, top of Union road can be seen on the right...behind Tower Clock. The left ..only a bit of Woodborough Rd . can be seen but the vista takes in Shelton st, new St.Anns housing and the consruction of Victoria Centre.55123.1.620.640.FFFFFF.jpg

This can be seen on the above photo-

Frank Sytner..is it an Aldi now?55008.1.320.320.FFFFFF.jpg

David A..this is a 1980 photo looking towards...say King Edward St.

Where the Gas Board building 'was' is on the the left ..level with the red traffic light.68292.1.620.640.FFFFFF.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, Aldi, car park and student accommodation. Frank Sytner won’t be too worried. He’s living in Monte Carlo!

2 hours ago, DavidA said:

Where was the Gas Board building Ian? I can't get my bearings at all.

Go back to the very first post on this thread to see it.

• Like 1

Aha. It must have been where a housing association complex is now... High Cross Leys I think it is called. Thanks all!

• Like 1

So on this picture I took the other day, the gas board building was where the new buildings are adjacent to the delivery van at the end of Woodborough Road/Huntingdon Street?

op8ff9.jpg

• Like 1

Most of my mates who went here...were posted then to Elliot Durham Secondary School.

This is 'Hunto Juniors' in 1971.55342.1.620.640.FFFFFF.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

So on this picture I took the other day, the gas board building was where the new buildings are adjacent to the delivery van at the end of Woodborough Road/Huntingdon Street?

Correct !

1970s image here.those sheds were a training centre at some time and later used on Yop schemes. The purple fascia of the bus station can also be seen.68281.1.620.640.FFFFFF.jpgsame location but capturing Hopewells.50551.1.620.640.FFFFFF.jpg

• Like 2

Someone mentioned a charity building on the top of Union rd.

It can be seen here..PDSA used the empty building as did Family First Trust.