Cliff Ton

Bottom end of Woodborough Road

The Gas board building caught fire in the mid 60s the fire went up the lift shaft, the fire brigade had a job putting the fire out but did manage to save the building,however the cellars near the toilets at the rear of the yard were upto 4 feet in water and the stock of stoves,hot water units,and space heaters which were kept there had to be rescued.........

Ere 'ya Trevor and NBL. A 1968 shot of Gas building on the corner of Woodborough and Huntington.66658.1.640.640.FFFFFF.jpgGot some photos of Gas Board vans inside the building late 1920's.

• Like 1

I must have walked past this building countless times from being a child holding mams hand, walking from Huntingdon St bus station going to Vicarage St to visit my Grandparents and relations living around the area. After leaving school I did the same journey most mornings myself whilst working at Raywarp on Alfred St North. I have closed my eyes and tried to imagine the building, one so large, but can't for the life of me remember it. This  makes me feel sad because, it makes me wonder how many more places and people have slipped from my mind. I do enjoy the pictures and it does take me back to the Nottm of my time there. I would love to go back in time, just for one day only, and see the places and people from a long time gone. One day in the future, people may be able to do that, in some way ..............ooooer........How many would want to come back?:)

• Like 2

I passed it trudging uphill to Catholic doom on Bowers Ave.It was very dusty and dirty ...with bottle green doors and frames?..Did you bring your vans home.

A west Indian bloke near us ..brought his mini van home...was he on call?.

Nice bloke..'70 ish.

That would be Chalky great bloke worked down Triumph road mains & service depot, in a mini van he would be first call to a problem instead of sending a gang out in the middle of the night.

A lot of 'on call' fitters lived on Woodborough road in that Victorian terrace just above the main building.

Ian when you described the building you forgot 'oily'

• Like 1

67714.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgSome Reg Baker pictures of the Gas Board Building...prior to demolition..1975.

Two 1929 interior shots of this building..titled Corporation Gas Motor Garage.67716.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpg1929...vans.67715.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpg