I thought I would have a go at starting a new topic. In our lives we sometimes come across something that we cannot understand, like the example below, or the understanding of the answer to a cryptic crossword clue, or the reason why something in the past did or didn't happen. Another example might be 'what was that film where so-and-so played a .....' .

I'll start the ball rolling with a popular riddle from many years ago that I never got my head around:

Three people go for a meal in a restaurant.

The bill comes to thirty pounds.

They each give the waiter ten pounds.

The waiter realises that he has overcharged the bill by five pounds.

He keeps two pounds for himself and gives one pound back to each diner.

So far as each diner is concerned they have now paid nine pounds for their meal.

3 times nine pounds makes twenty-seven pounds, plus the two pounds retained by the waiter makes twenty-nine pounds.

Where did the missing pound go?

Obviously, the diners should have received £1.66 each back from the waiter, but the above mathematics make some kind of sense. Where does it go wrong?

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

Here's an old puzzle - might still be some people around who have never heard it before.

A man is held prisoner in a room. The room has two doors; one is the door to freedom, the other the door to death. Beside each door is a guardian, who knows which door goes where. One guardian only tells lies, the other only tells the truth - the man does not know which man is either. The man is allowed just one question to help him establish which is the door he should exit the room from to safety. He asks the question and on receiving the answer opens the door and steps out to freedom.

What was the question he asked?

No, the answer is:

He asks one of them (doesn't matter which): 'Which door would the other man say is the door to freedom?' Whatever the answer, he takes the opposite door to that stated.

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest I gave up after 10 minutes and had to look it up .

No use trying anything mathematical its a visual quiz.

It's the number of circles (in the numbers) in each line .....e.g., a 6 has one circle, an 8 has two circles , a 4 hasn't got any circles !

• Upvote 3

#1 works out perfect on paper, it's when you start to work it out in the head that it screws up...LOL

• 2 weeks later...

How quickly can you find out what is unusual about this paragraph? It looks so ordinary that you would think that nothing was wrong with it at all, and in fact, nothing is. But it is unusual. Why? If you study it and think about it you may find out, but I am not going to assist you in any way. You must do it without coaching. No doubt if you work at it for long, it will dawn on you. I don't know. Now, go to work and try your luck.

• Upvote 1

Big head me got in less than one minute. Believe it or not, a Frenchman once wrote a novel in French without once using the letter E. Not to be outdone, and Englishman translated it into English, again without using the letter E.

• 1 year later...