weddings posh or plain.

I went to a wedding yesterday where the bride and groom arrived in a vintage truck,the vicar had a wicked sense of humour but got across the point of marriage ,the reception was at a cricket club in Shipley park near heanor,every table was given a picnic basket and told to help yourself,every drink was a pound,a band played ,a chip van arrived at 9pm to supply everyone with fish and chips,large marquee when rained a little nothing posh but to me it was perfect.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Picture This, Boxing Day 1966, 1 living Room, containing...2 Brides (Yes I did say 2 Brides, a Double Wedding) 8 Bridesmaids, 1Mam, 1Dad, 6 Aunties, 6 Uncles, 2 Brothers, various Neighbours and Frien

And you have the great memories. A wedding isn't just about parties...though we always have a good one, it's about commitment. My first marriage didn't work out and we split up 22 years and 3 childr

Me I have been married 43 years, still very much in love and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I've always thought weddings, posh or plain, to be fairly meaningless these days when a great number of them last only a few years. You're just as married in a registry office as you are with the most elaborate ceremony costing thousands; there's no guarantee the union will last. Ask the royal family!

A wedding may generate a good party but why not have one anyway!

• Upvote 2

Yes, a party doesn't need a wedding, but a wedding needs a GOOD party.

Picture This,

Boxing Day 1966, 1 living Room, containing...2 Brides (Yes I did say 2 Brides, a Double Wedding) 8 Bridesmaids, 1Mam, 1Dad, 6 Aunties, 6 Uncles, 2 Brothers, various Neighbours and Friends. Flowers, Lace, Buttonholes every where. And 200 individual trifles in the Kitchen all needing Cream on top, no Whisk, so we all had to muck in and whip the cream with Forks! All the Curls we had piled up on our heads on Christmas Eve, slowly unpinning and hanging down like Medusa's Snakes. Six bridesmaids all with little Halo's of flowers round the top of their head and Two with the Halo's over their heads and down the front of their ears (I never did find out who did that). All down The Gedling Church for 11am. Freezing Cold, Hoping that the Boyo's made it in time from W-ton. Then all down to The Royal Oak to sample our Trifles. Not Posh in any way. But a great day.

• Upvote 8

And you have the great memories.

A wedding isn't just about parties...though we always have a good one, it's about commitment.

My first marriage didn't work out and we split up 22 years and 3 children later. When I remet John (Friends Reunited) I was happy for us to live together, our children were all old enough for it not to matter and we were not planning on having children of our own (6 girls between us is quite enough thank you). remarriage wasn't so important to me, but it was very important to John, so I agreed. John's first marriage had been in a register office, (mine had been in a church,) so John wanted something a bit special, though being a catholic he was not sure a priest would be too keen, so we went for a civil wedding at Newstead Abbey, which was not as expensive as we expected and did the reception at Mum and Dads as it was more central for our guests and we could get a small marquee (from argos!) in their garden. I did all the catering and made the cake, 4 of our daughters were bridesmaids, one did my nails as she had completed a nail technician course and the other who had just had a baby made our wedding invitations. My brothers wife and one of Johns sisters did a reading each.

It was a real family day with just very close friends and family, it didn't cost the earth and it actually meant more to me than my first marriage. It was a very special day and I feel brought all our family, especially the daughters so much closer together.

• Upvote 8

Married in 1958 both of us 17 years old and still together happy as owt' we had a small wedding cake I think it was from the co-op

a few friends and some cobs, we was in bed on the first morning as you do, 8 45am mother on law tapping on stairs and shouting

'some people e'll stop in bed all day' we moved to a terraced house at bottom of Dunston st Netherfield. and now live in Lincs..

happy as larry.

• Upvote 4

Attended my best friend from nurserys wedding today. Was a glamorous Asian wedding but nothing too OTT. Amazing day with the best company but also very emotional as well. I think the company and your relation to the person getting married is the thing that makes a wedding!

• Upvote 1

1ST Wedding............60s............Posh (ish)...........Lots of guests.............duration............1 year

2ND " .............70s............not posh..............Less guests................ " .............10 years

3RD " .............80s.....very unposh...............4 guests ................ " .............30 years and counting

Theres a moral there somewhere...............Gawd knows how long the next one will last :) ....

• Upvote 2

Sometimes, one just needs to find greener grass !

• Upvote 1

Benjamin, We wish you both happiness for the future.

PS........If you have any celebrations coming up. I can recommend a very nice reasonably priced Slightly Sparkling White Wine.

Asti Sputamen or was it Spumante as in #8 Commodore Thread slywink Best wishes miduck.

• Upvote 5

Thanks carnie' but i like 'Nolly Prat, or is it Noilly' ? and no smartarse answers to the 'Prat' bit, :)

I think the T is silent in French. It's pronounced Prar.

Non Monsieur

Whose got a big greasy ar5e you cheeky bu66er !

• Upvote 1

Lizzie M we lived about six or seven houses back from Norman Villas on the left, issom's roofing firm was near you on the right hand side.

we worked hard and paid it off £750 I remember the name judd living in norman villas also harry howse or howels?

I worked a couple of years for Issom's roofing. Memories eh?

My catholic French wife wanted a real white church wedding with all the works, but there was one problem, I was divorced, but her local catholic priest found a way around it, my first wedding was in a registry office and not in a church, he got the OK from his bishop to marry us in my wife's local church.

The next problem was at the time I could not understand or speak French, in France you get married twice first in the local town hall and then in church, so I have been married twice and sighed a wedding contract not understood what I was letting my self into, but it must have been OK because we have been together 25 happy years

• Upvote 5

we got married on 3oth becember 1972 no posh frock or brides maids for megot married in a purple dress that i had made for me for christmas and was told it was unlucky to get married in purple at basford regitras office .back to white heart for reception for families and a few friends in the afternoon then whent to live with piggys mum and dad for the first 15 months not posh wedding by any means but nearly 42 years on we still together and we are still very happy and proberly have a better relationship and as much in love as we were when we got married .

• Upvote 3