The Green Thing

Checking out at the supermarket recently ,the young cashier suggested I should bring in my own bags because plastic ones weren't good for the environment . I apologised and explained that we didn't have the green thing in our day . The cashier responded "that's our problem today, your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generation!"

She was right about 1 thing we didn't have the green thing in our day,so what did we have?

After some reflection and Soul searching on our day ,here's what I remembered....

Back then we returned milk bottles , fizzy pop and beer bottles to the store and the store returned them to the plant ,where the bottles were washed sterilised and refilled , so the same bottles were being reused repeatedly so they were recycled . But we didn't have the green thing!

We walked upstairs ,because we didn't have escalators and lifts in every store or office buildings,we walked to the shops and didn't climb into a 300 horse powered machine ,every time we wanted to go two streets away. She was right we didn't have the green thing in our day!

Back then we washed the babies nappies ,we didn't have the throw away kind . We dried our clothes on a line ,not on a energy gobbling machine burning 240 volts ......wind and solar power really did dry our clothes!

Kids got hand me downs from their brothers or sisters and not brand new clothing every time. But she was right we didn't have the green thing in our day!

Back then we had 1 tv or radio in the house , not a tv in every room ,and the tv had a small screen the size of a handkerchief not a screen the size of Wales!

In the kitchen we blended or stirred by hand , we didn't have electric machines doing everything for us.

When we packed a parcel for posting it was wrapped in old newspapers , to protect them ,not Styrofoam or bubble wrap .

Back then we exercised by working so we didn't need to go to the gym or health club to go on a treadmill run on electric ,but she's right we didn't have the green thing.

Back then we drunk from a fountain when we were thirsty ,instead of using a plastic cup or bottle every time we needed a drink. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying new ones , and we replaced blades of a razor instead of throwing away when they went blunt, but we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then people took buses and kids took their bikes to school or walked instead of mum/dad being a 24 hr taxi service
We had only 1 electrical outlet in each room not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances, and we didn't need a computerised gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellite 2,000 miles away in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But isn't it sad that the current generation laments how wasteful we older folk were just because we didn't do the green thing !!

• Upvote 17

Us oldies get the blame for everything. If it wasn't for our forefathers fighting for freedom, they wouldn't be here.

The ungrateful little 5hits.

• Upvote 4

Those of a younger generation who moan about not getting a pension till they are 67+

I left school at 16 and went straight into work

Most now will not leave school till they are 18 and then go on to a university education till they are 21 or 22.

So their working life will still be shorter than mine. ;)

You missed one off Enigma1st, particularly relevant to supermarkets. the bags they provide for veggies and fruit are still plastic!

Nothing was pre wrapped in plastic and Styrofoam back then as it is now, We used paper, much more environmentally friendly. Is it so much a green thing as them trying to save money? Their "bags for life" are still plastic.

In my little Kitchen I have,

1 General Rubbish Bin.....1 Food Scrap Bin....1 Recyclable Bin.

Out side my house I have

1 lge Green Garden Bin....1 Recyclable Bin...1 General Rubbish Bin and 1 Food Waste Bin.

In the olden days :rolleyes: when I was a kid, we had 1 Metal Bin.

It just goes to show how much Throw away waste we have!

I don't think all of the Elf and Safety little packets of Milk, Sugar etc are needed. I don't ever remember getting ill, from a communal sauce or vinegar bottle in a Cafe. Even if it was all sticky!

The Planet wouldn't be running out of resources, if we still had some of the old returnable products around. Anyway, who invented free Plastic carrier bags in the Supermarket. I bet He/She is a Millionaire! :rolleyes: Moan Over.

• Upvote 2

Outside our house I often pick up coke cans, takeaway meal boxes and sweet wrappers and such. I don't think these were left by our generation ( the older one) but I think some parents today instil the chuck away habits of their children. Melissa #4. There's nothing new in youngsters getting a lot of stick and blame for everything. It happens as sure as oldies get blame for everything. It was the generation before ours that devised the atom bomb. Personally, I think we should blame the government! unionflag

We are now in the 'single use' age. Bottles, syringes, plant pots, you name it. Even things like bikes, lawnmowers, exercise machines and a load of white goods are just tipped when they go wrong, are an old model or redundant. Hardly any repairs done these days. When I go to the tip (domestic refuse and recycling centre) I always want to bring more back than I took!

• Upvote 1

The bag for life is a joke. One of ours split, so we asked the checkout girl for another. She said they were free, but on scrutinising the receipt, I noticed the twerp had charged me 10p. Git !

I also think people are conned by the hessian bag con. Have you ever tried to carry one full of shopping.

Whiskey, 6 bottles of Becks, bag of sugar, 4 x Uncle Bens rice, trifle, tiramisu, milk, cheese, veg, need I go on. I'd need to be Arnie to carry that bit of shopping.

PeverilPeril #13,

If you see any old Prams or Pushchairs to go with the old Bikes. Grab Em quick. We can make some good Trolleys.

Mind you I bet the kids wouldn't know how to use one.

You can't beat a good Trolley race. Four kids to a Trolley, a bit of string to steer with, Shoe Leather for Brakes and a Hill. What more could we want!

Germolene or Zinc and Castor Oil and a bit of rag! :ohmy::biggrin:

• Upvote 1

New EU rules on TV . Hoovers, lawnmowers and other electrical equipment are to have their power limited in order to 'save' the planet. What utter bo77ocks. They'll have us using scythes and bessoms next. Have they nothing better to do in Brussels.

When I was a kid, I had respect for the old woman across the street.

She could fly on that bessom like a spitfire pilot.

And how her cat managed to stay on, I've no idea.

Went into W.H. Smiffs the other week and they wanted to charge me 1p for a bag.

I said why should I advertise their shop and have to pay for it?

The lady replied that the money goes to charity...

It said which Charity?

She said the woodland trust....

Ok I said, but this newspaper is probably made from wood pulp?

I don't know she said, I just work here....

Alright I said, I'll buy my newspaper from somewhere else....

Ok she said, you can have your bag for free....

Don't want is now I said triumphantly....

I bought another newspaper from around the corner.

It rained on the way home............... aarghhh !!

Smiffy

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Looked familiar... "The Green Thing" was a chain letter doing the rounds at least three years ago:

http://joannenova.com.au/2011/08/the-green-thing-the-old-and-wise-fight-back/