Ever wondered what the future holds?

I well remember reciting declensions in Latin class. I've been in decline ever since!  It's a very useful language, especially if you have an interest in history.

As for Shakespeare, I've said it before, studying his work for  O or A level is a waste of time. Anyone who can understand it at that age has had a pretty hard life because that is, basically, what Shakespeare is about. Life, its problems and dilemmas. Shakespeare is as much a philosopher as a playwright. I find his work fascinating and the longer I live, the more I appreciate his wisdom.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been giving some thought to what the future looks like but today is bad enough. Here are my thoughts, of course based on Australia, is it similar to the UK?   A place where you can wa

What does the future hold? Maybe the revelation of the identity of the roughest area in Nottingham?

One of my father's favourite sayings. His advice was to laugh as often as possible and he often said that a sense of humour wasn't sufficient. In this world, you need a sense of the ridiculous because

Do you watch Rumpole of the Bailey Jill'?   he quotes Shakespeare all the time'''

Didn't do much in the way of 'Shakespeare'' at Padstow school......but i do remember our Drama Teacher....who was always reading the works of him''''

He was on the school stage giving the old 'Bard;'' plenty...

When he fell from the Stage bounced off the ;Piano'' on to the floor whilst breaking Wind......so funny.. my class of about 35 didnt stop laughing about it for weeks....:biggrin:

• Like 1

I did O Level Latin and I've found it more useful in later life than I might've expected.

It has often helped me to a very basic understanding of the written version of many European languages, because a lot of them have Latin origins and there are similarities in many words.

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Do you watch Rumpole of the Bailey Jill'?   he quotes Shakespeare all the time'''

Didn't do much in the way of 'Shakespeare'' at Padstow school......but i do remember our Drama Teacher....who was always reading the works of him''''

He was on the school stage giving the old 'Bard;'' plenty...

When he fell from the Stage bounced off the ;Piano'' on to the floor whilst breaking Wind......so funny.. my class of about 35 didnt stop laughing about it for weeks....:biggrin:

‘Blow, blow thou winter wind, thou art not so unkind as man’s ingratitude’ comes to mind!

Yes, Ben. I'm a great Rumpole fan. In fact, I named my ginger kitten after him at birth because it had such a loud voice. Ginger kitten turned out to be female and now goes by her middle name of Chivers.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Chivers.

As a ginger cat can I assume it was named after the Marmalade brand.

I used to love their Olde English Marmalade. Can you still get it?

I started A level English and dropped it for the “Use of English” course. The A level content was Shakespeare (which I actually enjoyed) and Chaucer. The use of English was far more interesting language wise and I believe used to be a requirement for entry to Oxford and Cambridge. Not that I got to that point, I entered the world of aviation instead and that became my love for 30+ years. 

You’re hilarious Barrie. Alpha I worked in Ground Ops in crew scheduling for British Midland. 

As far as I’m aware BM never operated with either Zeppelins or broom sticks so you are both wrong with your boyhood humour.

1 hour ago, MRS B said:

As far as I’m aware BM never operated with either Zeppelins or broom sticks so you are both wrong with your boyhood humour.

Are we sure about that???

JFsUEZP.png

41 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

perhaps not but you'd better hope she hasn't made a wax doll!!

If she does not know how to make a wax doll and use it consult my other half, she is an expert, why do you think I keep getting stabbing pains in my back.