BBC2 Monday 19th 6.30pm Great Railway Journeys

On the date and time above there's the programme "Great British Railway Journeys" and it starts in Derby then Nottingham (where they include the origons of "Boots" and also included is "Newstead Abbey". Might be worth watching.

• Upvote 2

The series is repeated fairly frequently. It has been at 7.30 on BBC4. Its one of these program's where the repeats are always worth watching.

He's quite trendy I think. Not quite my cup of tea, but he's ok.

I have watched these programmes for years and always find them entertaining and informative and I like Michael's warm delivery. I will be watching tomorrow.....

I enjoy watching those programmes. He has a genuine enthusiasm for railway journeys.

It's also amusing to see what he will be wearing !

Salmon pink jacket, lime green slacks......

One of the fashion magazines voted him worse-dressed man last year.

I thought you might be interested in this one, it won't be all about trains though I think it starts with the strange and aloof Mr Portillo attempting to paint a Class 73 at Bilbraborns happy hunting ground in Derby.

I've watched this series from the beginning, half the fun is Portillo, he really is an upper class, priveledged, public school,Tory Pillock, I'm sure he must have to go and wash his hands every time he disdainfully has to shake the hand of a 'worker'.

If anyone watched the programme about the Lancaster on BBC2 last night presented by John Sergeant, the contrast between the two presenters was astonishing. Sargeant not only showed a boundless, almost child-like enthusiasm for the subject, but his genuine respect, concern and sympathy for the veterans was something Portillo should watch and learn from, unlikely.

OK, I don't like Tories very much but a few years ago I was standing in the ticket office at Holt on the North Norfolk Railway, turned round and found Portillo's old boss John Major standing behind me with Norma and two hulking bodyguards standing in the corner looking like a scene from Men in Black.

What a lovely, chatty bloke he was, no skulking off to a first class compartment, he came and sat with everyone in an open second and proceeded to have a good laugh with all and sundry. The difference, well, he never went to public school did he. I met him before at a Test Match at Headingley when he was PM, he was giving security nightmares, all he wanted to do was talk about cricket to everyone.

Anyway, let's see what colour jacket Michael is wearing tonight and whether he gets off the train in Nottingham.

# 9 Firbeck

Portillo isn't exactly an upper class pillock. He didn't go to public school and went to Cambridge on a scholarship.

I like his programme and think he's got quite an engaging way with people. I'll certainly be watching tonight.

• Upvote 4

I actually like Michael Portillo in his guise as railway enthusiast - and I enjoy the programmes, but I think he is 'upper class'.

His family (on his mother's side) were very wealthy linen mill owners from Kircaldy.

He went to Harrow (but not the famous one) before going to Cambridge.

He lives in a very well-to-do house in Westminster (must be worth a few million) and has a house in Valencia.

I'm sure he's done OK out of his various 'directorships' and his journalistic activities.

He certainly couldn't be described as 'working class' (or even middle-class for that matter).

Portillo is an upper class wierdo who clearly knows very little about the actual railway subject he is probably highly paid and 'privileged' to talk about. I found yesterdays programme a bit of a joke considering where he went, the editing was hilarious, catching an HST from Midland to go up to Newstead, and I'm bloody sure he didn't go on the trek from Newstead station to the Abbey, ever tried that, it's bloody miles, the poor sod would have expired half way through, I wish. Never mind, he's just caught a north bound ECML train from Grantham in order to get to Boston for tonights show.

I did love listening to the accents though, it was interesting that the lovely woman at Newstead referred to bald people as 'Bold', I haven't heard that for years, I've had it knocked out of me, I also thought that the scenes of Market Square with the trams ,made the city look fantastic, quite right too, my only regret was that the Bell seemed to have become a Greene King pub, sacrilege, I bet his nibs didn't actually stay there, the riff raff in the square might have kept him awake.

Portaloo as a railway fan OK he helped save the Settle & Carsile rail route.

Portaloo as an M.P. No thank you.

He claims to have done this, I 've heard him bang on about how he saved it by catching Thatcher in the right mood, unlikely, not even 'Mr Slime' himself could have done that, anyway, what did he care, nowt in it for him, he just wants a bit of self righteous publicity for his railway series.

I bet he didn't even know where the Carlisle and Settle Railway was, 'Summat oop north, who cares about them, let them eat cake', unless there's political and social gain for himself. Let's see was disdain he reserves for the good people of Boston.

On his way to Newstead he would have passed through Bulwell Regis - and never mentioned the place!!!!

• Upvote 1

# 9 Firbeck

# 9 Firbeck

Portillo isn't exactly an upper class pillock. He didn't go to public school and went to Cambridge on a scholarship.

I like his programme and think he's got quite an engaging way with people. I'll certainly be watching tonight.

You must be living on another planet from the rest of us, his attitude with other people is so embarrassing, even the editing can't cut that out.

I did cheer when Portaloo got dumped out of Parliament in 1997 by Steven Twigg.

Don't forget Portaloo is a class traitor his father was an refugee when he escaped from Franco's fascist Spain.

I have always enjoyed watching the Railway Journey programmes. I think that Portillo presents them competently. I don't look at him and think - he is half Spanish, or that he was better educated than me, or that he used to be a good/bad/indifferent politician. I judge his 'performance' on screen, and he gives me the impression that he enjoys what he does, and his outlook/attitude helps to make the programmes interesting.

• Upvote 5

Don't forget Portaloo is a class traitor his father was an refugee when he escaped from Franco's fascist Spain.

How can he be a class traitor, yes his maternal grandfather was apparently 'wealthy'. Obviously not that wealthy, as he went to a grammar school and Cambridge on a scholarship, that presumably means he couldn't afford to go like a 'toff'. His father was a refugee, so what? Does it mean he has no right to better himself? I don't reckon he cares to much about how he's perceived, but it seems some make assumptions, based on the theatrical image he promotes and that he talks posh. Because they don't like his politics. Well, I didn't either, but I try to keep a perspective.

• Upvote 2

My perspective is that Portillo was a hated, arrogant, self opinionated Tory barsteward, the cheers that rang around the country when he lost his 'safe' Tory seat in 1997 said it all. I just don't understand how such an interesting programme can be put in the hands of such an obnoxious man, you must be looking at the world through rose tinted glasses TBI, he hasn't got a clue what he's talking about, he just waves that bloody book in the air and get's probably highly paid for doing it.

Poor old sad and forgotten Fred Dibnah would have had him for breakfast.

• Upvote 1