I have a mobile, as my families phone contracts expire I get their hand me downs and go on pay as you go. At the moment on 321 with network 3 absolutely brilliant, it suits all my needs. I only use the phone really as an emergency, normally to text my wife to let her know I am ready to be picked up from the pub. Or text my mates to arrange the next meet up.

But what really gets my back up is when I am either on the bus or train, in a restaurant or supermarket and you are surrounded by mobile phone users, often speaking so loud you feel you are part of their conversation.

It was bad enough when in a restaurant and the inconsiderate people around you use to light up between courses, since the ban they will either text somebody or play a silly game. What happened to proper conversation?

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bet you won't get anyone like my wife ! She took a parcel from a delivery driver and when he handed her the PDA to sign she asked where to do it.   He actually said "Oh just below" , pointin

From conversations I have involuntarily overheard, they are not worth listening to. Indeed they are not worth the participants wasting breath on. How can people spend half their day talking inconseque

I work in many different canteens and it's sad to see all the young women sit with their mates but instead of having conversations, they just sit prodding away at their phones. Some of the young men do it as well.

And then there is all the RF radiation. Most don't think or even know about it. The cell phone companies downplay it like the tobacco companies downplayed cancer. It may be years if ever before a link is proven, but there are some weird brain tumors showing up out there. Especially serious for kids whose skulls and brains are still growing. I avoid using mine (phone, that is. :-) ) as much as possible or use speakerphone.

I work in many different canteens and it's sad to see all the young women sit with their mates but instead of having conversations, they just sit prodding away at their phones. Some of the young men do it as well.

Do they really have friends....or are they just pretending they have friends and someone to talk to? Mobiles give you the ability to look more popular and important than you actually are.

In the old days, if you were Billy-No-Mates you stood out in a crowd. Now you can pretend you are talking and texting to everybody.

• Upvote 3

And then there is all the RF radiation. Most don't think or even know about it. The cell phone companies downplay it like the tobacco companies downplayed cancer. It may be years if ever before a link is proven, but there are some weird brain tumors showing up out there. Especially serious for kids whose skulls and brains are still growing. I avoid using mine (phone, that is. :-) ) as much as possible or use speakerphone.

Yes, and I also make sure I don't keep mine in my trouser pocket either

• Upvote 1

Dave, many years back I was given an RF amplifier for our ham 70cm band, (440Mhz), problem was, it was tuned for the commercial band above the 70cm band. So had to retune it, which meant I had to work with the metal cover off of it. I ended up with severe eye ache!! Seems my eyes are sensitive to that frequency!

Now 440Mhz is one third of the frequency cell phones operate on, they actually operate on a band pretty close to micro wave oven frequencies!! And we all know what a micro wave oven does to meat.

Richard Branson's late mate died of a very rare type of brain tumour, and according to Branson, he was ALWAYS on his cell phone. Branson took it so seriously that the RF energy caused that tumour, that he supplied all his employees who had cell phones with hands free devices so they wouldn't put their phones near their heads, and to top it off, he fines anyone not using their free hands free device!!

I was listening to someone on their phone today. I had no choice. She was bellowing down it at about 500 decibels. I don't think she needed the phone.

When cell phones started appearing on the scene, way back in the early 90's, mate of mine had his service monitor on the bench, and we were listening to cell phone users, you wouldn't believe what the young lady cell phone users talk about!! AND it wasn't about their new hand bags either...LOL Kind of shocking really, as we men didn't kiss and tell, but THEY did... This was pre digital phone days too.

My husband had a phone in his car in the very early days, maybe around 1984. It was so big you wouldn't have wanted to carry it around! It cost him £4000 and within a year it was redundant because cell phones were being introduced.

He was driving along Park Lane in London one day and got a crossed line. He could hear this chap giving somebody a real hard time because he hadn't paid his bills. As the minutes ticked by my husband realised that it was a friend of his who was doing the yelling and was about 30 miles away in the town we lived in at the time. You never know who is listening, haha!

My wifes ex boss in Australia had one of those mini suitcase phones, the only service back then was in Sydney, so once he was around 30 miles west of the city on his way home, it was useless. That would have been around 1985.

Even today with the right equipment, it's possible to eavesdrop on cell phone conversations, the equipment doesn't cost a fortune either. Sure it's illegal, but who's going to find out??

Try re-arranging the dots. It might help. LOL.

Think i'll try that Loppylugs must dash see yer

• Upvote 1

From conversations I have involuntarily overheard, they are not worth listening to. Indeed they are not worth the participants wasting breath on. How can people spend half their day talking inconsequential drivel to one another? It's the same with facebook - 90% of postings are complete tosh. Silence is golden!

• Upvote 5

I'm going to take a chance here. I'm ready to duck. Why for Petes sake do all these people have phones that whistle at em like someone whistling up a Collie dog? Its a fashion that shouldn't be. Don't you understand? YOU ARE NOT A COLLIE!

• Upvote 3

#44 my Dad has the most irritating ring/notification tones on his phone. The whistle used to be one of them. It drives me mad! I always have mine on silent as I very rarely make or receive phone calls after being on the phone all day at work... I just don't feel like it!

I will admit to doing a lot of the above though! But am I excused if I'm using my phone to post to the forum ;) ?

• Upvote 2

I'm not interesred in others' conversations but I am interested in those who walk into me too intent on contacting someone by text or voice. We seem to have created another Nirvana where those who achieve it are out of the normal world.

I would have thought you could find a ringtone that says Meeeooow! Catfan. I've got one that barks but I daren't use it. It drives the dog nuts. Takes five minutes to stop him barking.

My wife has a friend who has her two daughters still living with her. When they're all at home together, rather than talk, shout or walk a few yards, they text each other when in different rooms. ' Do u wnt brown sauce on yr bacon sarnie ' etc. Truly.. WTF?

• Upvote 3