• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nottingham's World War 1 hero & flying ace Albert Ball died on this day 7th May 1917, for you Sir, I doff my hat.

Who do other countries consider to be Nottingham's heroes? During WW2 my dad escaped from an Italian prisoner of war camp and over a period of 3 months made his way from north of Rome to a small moun

# 31. I really have a lot of affection for our Albert, silly as it may sound. My Grandmother and her 2 sisters knew him really well, growing up together in Lenton and The Park. I have letters t

What about Margaret Thatcher....Grantham is close enough to Nottingham to be able to claim her?????????? isitsafe

• Upvote 3

Maybe wrong county but it has NG postcode.............Not that we would want to admit to it in this case!!!

But we do have Ken Clark of course........

My mam and me were in Bath St washouse in'69 the ladies took a tea break before going on to use the huge ironing rollers. Mrs Barnes went on to tell us "her Alvin was to play in some huge concert-Woodcock,or some such place". True. Even though mrs Barnes did'nt live in that area anymore (wollaton?) she liked the singing and female comradeship

I dont want to minimise Brian Clough's achievements at Forest, but he was a drunken Boro lad with no manners and an arrogance that has seldom, if ever, matched. I do not consider Clough to be a Nottingham lamb at all.

Sillitoe captured Nottingham entirely and many years ago he described my poetry as "quite good" but I think he was just wanting to get away from the Playhouse. He is THE Nottingham name.

Ray Gosling doesnt deserve any place in the rankings. A moderately able writer.

Unknown heroes? I have posted this before, but Pvt William Bartle, first Nottingham soldier to land in Normandy on D Day. There should be some remembrance of him.

Tug Wilson. Epitome of Nottingham City Police. Much has been said about Tug, but he was inspiring and a very good copper.

Leonard "Nipper" Read. A very quiet but superlative policeman. He organised the capture of the Krays. The Krays have some kind of hero worship in the East End of London, but surely the real honour should be on the policeman who got them caught and prosecuted?

• Upvote 2

Doug scott would be a good 1 to be included, his wife was a teacher at Lenton primary, he came into school not long after he came back from climbing Everest, and gave a talk and showed us some of his gear.

How many would do that now for free.

• Upvote 1