A 1903 view of St Ann's, Nottingham, United Kingdom that is unrecognisable today.

A Nottingham Corporation Tramways tram passes the Wesleyan Church on St. Ann's Well Road and a local farmer herds his sheep through the town as a delivery boy from the Lace Market passes in the foreground (note 'LM' on the box he's carrying).

Va08lPC.jpg

• Upvote 7

Re #2 Teesdale Garage is still there on Hucknall Rd, although it's just car sales now.

True. For instance in the Drury Hill photo, the girl's dress might've been green. But it looks convincing. It's a big improvement on the earlier colourisation techniques where it was obvious that someone had just 'painted' a black and white photo, like this.

albert_2.jpg

Ironically, colour came first, but I doubt when "safety" film came around for the masses, they didn't master the technique of mass producing colour film for many years, at a practical cost.

I think that the painted black and white photo was very well done. I have long objected to old movies and historical documentaries ie. WW 2 films being colourized. There was something about the old black and white that gave them a greater aura of reality.

The Longest Day movie was done in colour and B&W, I watched the colour version a few months back and theought it was just a colourized version, but it wasn't. The Director decided to release the B&W version for technical reasons. Either way, it was different!!

Remember too, dyes tended to fade more years back, that's the main reason B&W photos were tinted.

Excuse me for a little boast but have a peek at our photo p2. in the 'Wedding Photo's' topic. I still have the Kodak Photo colours book I used, similar to use as in water colour painting but obviously more care with the lines and density. once it's on that's it!

• Upvote 2

Brilliant . the colours in these old pics, true or not are just right, thank you, and at #3, the sheep are new shorn, the sheepdog does not look like your usual Colly and the delivery lad has a shoeshine no RSM could complain about!

• Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...