Wondering how ya'll doing with printers? We bought an HP 6835 all in one nine months ago. The other day it quit saying printhead problem. I did some research in the reviews on Amazon, and Costco. The results were horrible. Seems like most folks have had issues with this and other similar models. Sooooo. I started doing some more research on other models, Epson, Canon, Brother. Seems like most folks have issues with all of them to a greater or lesser degree. They all hog expensive ink refills. All use ink to go through a clean cycle every time you turn then on etc. BTW. Brother seems to have the cheapest ink but most said the printing, especially photos was washed out.

I havea twenty year old Laserjet still going strong and a ten year old HP photosmart which still works. I am going back to it for the time being.

What's the problem? Can't they make a half decent printer any more? I'm cheesed off about this.

You're right Catfan. As always, follow the money. The printers are cheap. Somebody compared it to drugs. You get the first hit real cheap because the dealer knows you'll keep coming back.

I use the laser for all b&w printing.

Hadn't looked into Kodak, Michael. I'll check them out.

• Upvote 2

Dave Gorman show last night showed that printers own ink was roughly 7 times the price of the best champagne for the equal quantity....I use a budget ink in mine and the colours are brilliant...it works out at around 50p a cartridge when I buy 20 odd. The printer occasionally refuses to recognise one...but at that price I don't care.

Don't talk to me about printers. I use Canon printers because of their quality and I have no problems with ink costs because I buy non-Canon brand - all five cartridges for fifteen pound and they work just fine with excellent colour representation. However, my perfectly good Canon packed up, showing me a fault code. When I checked it out it meant that the ink reservoir was full. When the printer goes through its tiresome head-cleaning process, the ink used falls into a tank. You cannot empty this tank - but you can send the printer back to Canon and they will empty it and reset the fault code, for a cost of £65. The internet has instruction on how to get into the printer to get at the tank and then do the reset. It would take me less time to paint the Forth Bridge! So I dumped it and bought a new one. One day this one will end up like the other did, but at least I am saving big money by not buying Canon inks.

We used to refill our cartridges with generic inks, never had any problems with them, but eventually the cartridge ink nozzels do get blocked. I hate the newer printers that have gone back to built in print heads, they are extremely if not impossible to clean. I have a Kodak 3 in 1 printer here I bought a new printhead for, not got around to it as I rarely use a printer these days.

We've always bought HP All in One printers and they've kept going for several years despite being used all the time for our business. The latest one is 2 or 3 years old and a few months ago it stopped working and needed new print heads. I had to order them from PC World at a cost of around £70 for a pair. Yes I know .... we could have bought a new printer for that price, but we had spare ink cartridges worth about £50 in the cupboard that wouldn't fit in any other HP printer. That's where they get you ..... every new machine they bring out has a different type of ink cartridge.

• Upvote 1

What made us change was that M$oft do not seem to provide drivers for older printers. Thus your hardware becomes obsolete with each new operating system. I did manage to find some new drivers online today and so far the old printer is up and running again. Still had 80% ink in the cartridges so should keep us going for a bit. Still going to have to fight with HP over the all in one which is still supposed to be under warrantee. We shall see!!

Like Catfan, I use a Canon laser one, only mono, but I never print colours anyway if I want to do photos i go to a store and use their system, cheap and easy.

My laser cartridge lasts forever, I soon got fed up buying inkjet cartridges ! it was often cheaper to buy a new printer.

• Upvote 1

Yes I have a HP 3055A that seems to be work OK - I used to have an Epsom and Kodak but both packed in. The Epsom said printed head was u/s and when I contacted Epsom was told don't do those anymore so had to buy another printer. The Kodak no matter what I did showed "paper jam" - even took it back to the shop - but in the end felt it was just too much trouble.

Best wishes

Peter

What model printer is that, Pooh?

Epson DX4450

When it got bunged up I bought a cleaning kit for a few quid a year ago...'Printhead Hospital'....works great if cleaning solution left overnight and I've printed a hell of a lot since since.

I have a HP Deskjet 3050a. Its an all in one wireless printer scanner.

I refill the cartridges myself and unlike some printers which will not allow you to proceed without replacement cartridge, the 3050a accepts refilled cartridges.

There is no problem with windoze version compatibility because it does not connect to the computer. I do not have to use HP software that again would havecompatibility problems. I use Google Cloud Print. You can buy the 3050a cheaply on Ebay.

Screenshot%202015-10-04%20at%2009.49.14_

HP ENVY 4507.... Pretty good!

I see that "Printhead Hospital" printhead cleaner has a good write up, going to order some from Amazon and clean the Kodak and Epson printheads.

• 2 weeks later...

Just received a replacement for my printer from HP. Says its reconditiond with a 90 day warrentee. We'll see how long this one lasts. Keep replacing them every month or two and you won't need to buy ink!