Must be loads of people like me who don't buy a TV licence !

At £145.50p a go they can stuff it !

What was Wogan reportedly getting for "Brats in Need" ? £14000 ?

Quite legal to "catch up" tv progs, IPlayer etc, no licece required. hellothere

One thing that does get my goat,Celebrity come dancing; pretending it is Sunday and spending more cash on costume changes for "Sundays" show..old Darcy on Halloween couldn't get her barnet to look right after being under a syrup!! Why can't they wear the same gear?? Continuity is costing the license payer.

One of the main appeals of the Beeb is the absence of advertising.

I look forward to the adverts for a bit of entertainment :mellow:

It's still a very cheap way for the beeb to fill another 45 minute programme slot on Sunday.

The Australian ABC doesn't advertise, they do get government grants, the rest they get from selling programming to the likes of the BBC and selling DVD's of shows and movies they make.

This side of the pond we have PBS, who don't advertise, they get small government grants, have corporations sponsor shows and also have twice yearly fund drives. They also sell shows to other TV companies plus sell DVD's of top shows.

Licensing is a form of censorship, that's why the US government was never allowed to institute broadcast licenses.

The last red button I pushed was on my lathe....never used it and rarely watch the BBC at all.

Quote from the link..

The BBC said the savings are a consequence of a drop in the licence fee income because of what it calls the "iPlayer loophole".

This refers to people who have switched to watching BBC services only on "catch up" via the iPlayer, which does not currently require payment of the licence fee.

The BBC said it has received assurances from the government that this "loophole" will be closed.

Loophole?...they'll probably make it that if you are resident in Britain the licence will be compulsory.

If adverts were a problem I would never watch any other channel.

I put my Humax sat box on pause whilst I do other things, making tea etc, then fast forward the adverts.

You have no choice with the BBC its an enforced purchase.

And don't let them tell you that they don't have adverts on the BBC, because they do.

Programme trailers and the like. They are every bit as irritating and repetitive as promo's for products - AND they are getting more and more frequent.

Between every programme you get at least 2 and at some times of day it can be as many as 4.

It's unfortunate that the bods in television think that they have to compete with each other, so they copy whatever each other does.

I think by that measure the BBC will be sleep-walking into privatisation !

Even on the BBC News channel they say 'We'll be right back' and then play some programme advert like it's an ad break.

And don't get me started on the continuity announcers.

Lame humour, shouty voices and smart-ass comments. The kind of thing that should be left leave to E4 or ITV 2.

I actually don't think the BBC have any intention of scrapping the red button (they would be stupid to do so).

I think they are just trying to draw attention to their budget cuts and steer attention away from the real target which should be executive pay !

• Upvote 1

#2 Catfan

One hundred and forty five pound fifty, bl**dy hell that's three hundred and ten Aussie dollars.

Thankfully we don't pay a licence fee here and it appears from comments that your programs are as bad as ours, endless "reality tv" shows, certainly not my reality. Mindless American crime and violence and incessant station promos on our ABC (BBC)

Recent additions to the tv menu here are a channel devoted to food, one of the first programs was about eating bulls testicles and penises, what a load of bollo**s. Another one is a competition about BBQueing food and not a beer in sight reality tv my a**e.

There are some quality programs, usually from the Beeb.

Probably why my favourite tv channel is YouTube.

• Upvote 2

Whilst my old house was empty and up for sale, we notified move of licence to new address.

Every fortnight a reminder would arrive at the old address with threats that enforcement agents would visit.

I attended one day to check the place and found a man in the garden looking through the front window, when

he turned round it was a guy I had worked with some years previously. I told him the house was empty and pointed to

the for sale board. After that the same letters continued to arrive?

We had a visit last year from the TV License man, took them ten years & after numerous threatening letters a knock one evening came.

Nah then Catfan where's yer license or words to that effect.?

After inviting him in he sat down & we had a good chat, he had recently left the army & this was the only job he could get. Nice bloke really, i explained why I did not have a license & he didn't bother checking the telly.

He left, he had done his job, no hassle, no verbal abuse, job done !

• Upvote 1

Actually, I think that the BBC licence fee is worth the money. Yes, it shows some dross, but all in all its programmes are very good. There is not a single radio or TV station in the whole wide world that can compare with the BBC's quality. At around three pounds a week - and no commercial breaks - how can people complain when you have to pay eight pounds for 1 and a 1/2 hours in a cinema.

• Upvote 4

No other country in the world has a service like the BBC,with correspondents thru out,it employes around 30,000 staff,...i wish they still had the rights to Cricket,Football and much more in the Sporting world,......who can forget the Cricket commentators John Arlot,Peter West Jim Swanton and Brian Johnston,and the BBC World service is unique,.......i reckon its well worth the fee.

• Upvote 2

Think about this if you begrudge paying money to the BBC. Take Strictly Come Dancing. The production values are stupendous. It takes place in an old film studio, though you would never know it from the dancehall set that has been constructed. The orchestra is wonderful - remember that its leader Dave Arch has to find suitable pieces of music and then pare them down to 1 and a 1/2 minutes - the singers are excellent, too. The costume-makers are just wonderful - so many outfits, all designed and made to fit the individual dancers. The lighting set-up and operation is top class with regard to its imagination. Even if you do not like the show, show respect for the skill and effort that goes into making it. Nobody does it better than the Beeb, and doing it that well costs a lot of money. The alternative is KRAP-TV, like they have in America.

• Upvote 1

Sky has annual revenues of over £11 billion and is Europe's leading investor in television content with a combined programming budget of over £4.6 billion. The company employs 31,000 people and is listed on the London Stock Exchange (SKY)

Wow!!

All T.V. programmes are a matter of taste but it seems to me that many are voyeuristic in content and those which particularly annoy me are the 'clubby' panel games, featuring the same faces and the patronizing humour. The BBC are not the only ones producing these of course and allowance has to be made to the fact that I'm an increasingly grumpy old git!

• Upvote 2

There are some great BBC programmes, but for me though, between 7-10pm of an evening, a selection from tired old staples such as these just don't cut it – Eastenders, Holby City, Casualty, The Apprentice, Have I Got News For You, QI, Masterchef, Great British Menu, Watchdog, Antiques Roadshow, Who Do You Think You Are, University Challenge, etc etc....

All just my opinion of course. For what we pay, not good value. That's before the £150m in cuts to be implemented.