Many of the hits for 60s UK 'Beat' and 'Merseybeat' groups were covers of American originals. Some more obvious than others. This is not necessarily a bad thing and in many cases IMHO the UK bands added a new 'slant', or 'sparkle' to the original. It's a subject of endless fascination for me as I sometimes am only finding out now that these songs were covers.

The latest I've become aware of, is Marie Knight's 1961 original of Manfred Mann's 1965 hit 'Come Tomorrow'.

and here is the Manfred's version.

I'll put a few more of these up in due course. Please add your own.

Col

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Absolutely love the Ketty Lester version of 'Love Letters'. When I hear it, I always imagine myself and my friends walking down Trent Lane towards Snienton on our way home from the 'Pleasure Park' aft

Only recently I found this version of The lion sleeps tonight . A bit before my time, but I have always loved this song by the Tokens. On long journeys with a car full of budding singers we have had m

Many of the hits for 60s UK 'Beat' and 'Merseybeat' groups were covers of American originals. Some more obvious than others. This is not necessarily a bad thing and in many cases IMHO the UK bands a

Evenin' Col!

Don Covays version of Mercy Mercy is very nice.

Brian and Keith did quite a credible rendition at 2120 South Michigan.

Chucks tongue in cheek( awful!!) My Ding a Ling.This was cut way back in '52 by Dave Bartholomew.. and is a cracker!!

One reason I insist on buying CD's rather than downloading is that I like the liner notes informing me of who played what, and who wrote the songs.

This was important in the 60's as I got into the blues courtesy of The Animals, Stones, Pretty Things, Led Zeppelin, Allmans etc.

Thereby enabling me to search out the originals.

Years ago, my ex got interested in line dancing believe it or not. The songs seemed reasonable, so I checked out the originals and got into some very good 'Country ' style music. Hank Williams, Willie Nelson and many more.

Are the originals better or worse ? A bit of both I've found.

• Upvote 1

I've mentioned this before; here are some original recordings, all by the Weavers in the late 1940s/early 1950s that were covered, if that is the right word, by others.

Wimoweh

Sixteen Tons

Guantanamera

Wreck of the John B

House of the Rising Sun

Old Riley

If I Had a Hammer

Midnight Special

The Roving Kind

Rock Island Line

• Upvote 1

Only recently I found this version of The lion sleeps tonight . A bit before my time, but I have always loved this song by the Tokens. On long journeys with a car full of budding singers we have had many a laugh, blasting it out. The Evening Birds 1939 and The Tokens 1961.

http://performingsongwriter.com/lion-sleeps-tonight/

• Upvote 3

Then there's Big Mama Thornton and Hound Dog

or Springsteens , Blinded By the Light before Manfred Manns Earthband

The Nerves original of Hanging On The Telephone

• Upvote 1

Just four immediately spring to mind of great songs heavily covered. Morning Dew, and Proud Mary, Always on my Mind and If I Were a Carpenter. Brilliant.

Cyndi Laupers ,Girls Just Wanna Have Fun weirdly written by a bloke Robert Hazard

The Kingsmen's Louie Louie written by Richard Berry

• Upvote 1
I knew that you were way out with 'Midnight Special' as it was a song that was originally sung by the convicts in the US prisons so I checked it out on Wiki. Lyrics appearing in the song were first recorded in print by Howard Odum in 1905: Get up in the mornin' when ding dong rings, Look at table — see the same damn thing.

The first printed reference to the song itself was in a 1923 issue of Adventure magazine, a three-times-a-month pulp magazine published by the Ridgway Company. In 1927 Carl Sandburg published two different versions of "Midnight Special" in his The American Songbag, the first published versions.

The song was first commercially recorded on the OKeh label in 1926 as "Pistol Pete's Midnight Special" by Dave "Pistol Pete" Cutrell (a member of McGinty's Oklahoma Cow Boy Band). Cutrell follows the traditional song except for semi-comedic stanzas about McGinty and Gray and "a cowboy band"

Some excellent additions here!

I shall add a few more later.

Col