history-50s.jpg

In 1953, a fledgling company called Rocket Chemical Company and its staff of three set out to create a line of rust-prevention solvents and degreasers for use in the aerospace industry in a small lab in San Diego, California.

It took them 40 attempts to get the water displacing formula worked out. But they obviously got it right, because the original secret formula for WD-40 - which stands for Water Displacement and which was perfected on the 40th try - is still in use today!

Full history at: http://www.wd40.co.uk/history.html

• Upvote 5

The stuff certainly has its uses, though I find the smell a bit nauseating. It does seem quite good for helping to free up screws etc., but I don't find it quite as miraculous as claimed

There was a time back in the days of old style distributor and coil ignition systems, where people would spray the whole lot with WD-40 in an attempt to avoid starting probs on damp mornings. Always seemed counter productive to me, because the WD sat there and over time, attracted dust and crud, which itself then attracted moisture. Far better IMHO just to keep the leads clean.

That said, one eveniing I went to get my car from a multi story car park in St Helens. A fine misty rain was blowing sideways through the rails and straight at the front of parked cars. Mine started OK but some chap in a brand new little hatch back next to me was rapidly flattening his battery. He was a bit wary of me ( Can't imagine why... ), but I persuaded him to open his bonnet. As I suspected, every time he turned it over it was like Blackpool illuminations, with sparks flying all over his wet ignition leads. I gave it a quick wipe around with a pocket tissue and he was off and running.

My mechanical genius... again... ;)

Col

P.S. I've been looking around for a can of 3 in 1 oil to use as a lubricant and winter protective coating for my garden tools. I can only find it in spray form. Does anyone know if the old tins with the spout are still available?

P.P.S. Seems it is.. and more.. http://www.3-in-one.co.uk/products/multi-purpose-drip-oil/

• Upvote 1

Plastic Moulding Supplies of Corby used to sell an anti rust spray. We used it in the moulding tools.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Seem to remember a similar product in the sixties called Plus Gas. There were two types , one in a blue can and one in a red can. I can't remember what the difference was but it was good stuff for freeing seized nuts.

Yes you can still get it. Of all penetrating oils it is the best of the lot. It is available in a can with a spout or an aerosol. Only the blue seems to be around nowadays

Just trawling through a number of threads and came across FLY2's #28 comment on plastic mould protection.

The best way to protect a mould or any bright metal for long term storage is to use a waxy spray as the wax film excludes dust.

Oil of any kind only applies limited protection and dust embedded on the oil attracts moisture and over time can cause rust pitting on highly polished surfaces such as plastic moulds. The best way to protect a mould was to spray it in the machine just after it had finished its' production run whilst the mould was "hot". Then do the cleaning and maintenance in the toolroom and spray with a long term protectant with a waxy base. We used to use a product made by a company called Freudenberg?. It did not contain silicon or bleed back through the ejector holes on the next run.

Were you a moulder or toolmaker FLY? if so where?

Hi Oz, I worked for Daneplast Injection Moulders at Swestern, near Grantham. 95 - 99.

We got all our various sprays from PMS (Plastic Moulding Supplies) at Corby.

I seem to remember as well as the anti rust one, there was a silicon based one too.

I started as fork lift truck driver, but spent most of the first few weeks on the moulding machines. I was asked if I would do some van driving too, This was fantastic news to me as I love driving. I went everywhere. North East, Lancashire, Devon, London, Midlands, Kent. Brilliant. When not driving,  I was on the machines or grinding the sprues and scrap for reuse. As the firm grew, I was virtually driving every day, then as we had more drivers, and vehicles, I ran the stores, in coming goods and despatch area,  purchased materials, did stock taking, issued materials to the shop floor, packing when necessary. Everything and everything.

i loved most of my time there as there was always a rush on, and never a dull moment. 

FLY, out of interest I have just had a look at their website and it seems that they are smart about the sectors they serve using rapid tooling techniques for a quick turnaround. A 1000 ton machine is quite a size. I spent some of the last years of my working life as general manager of a tooling and moulding company and we had 25 ton up to 3,500 ton machines and the largest mould we ever made was 70 tons.

I hope you followed the golden rule of no more than 10% regrind into the virgin material.

Some of the items we made were small and would be unseen in the final product so invariably they were made from total regrind. Small washers and bushes etc.

When I've more time, I'll pm you with the products made from 95-99. 

Would never use WD 40 to protect any machined surface,it just tears the faces and causes corrosion (WD=water disperant),to free off rusted parts always use Plus gas as said in previous posts

IMG_0460_zps7jz4qxyg.jpg

IMG_0461_zpswlz3anpa.jpg

Rog

Last week I noticed the local cemetery gates open.  Someone had opened them and been unable to re-close them because the drop-bolt that holds the bottom of the normally unopened left had side gate to the ground had seized solid.  I managed to partially close it with a rock but determined that I would fix it properly.  I went back the following two days and applied liberal doses of WD40 to the offending rusted bolt. It now works perfectly :)

• Upvote 1