It had to happen.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

About time they banned those flavored vapes they F***ing stink

I had a similar reaction when I asked when the non smokers were going to get their time off in my last job. The bosses were the worst culprits.

When I first came to Oz I lost my first job because when all my colleagues, the smokers, went outside to do their thing I got a bit fed up with it, being a non smoker, so decided I would grab a cuppa

When I worked at Central TV, there were designated smoking areas where people had to go to smoke.

The regulars would be there once or twice an hour. That means they spent around 10 minutes every hour in the smoking area and not working. Non-smokers obviously continued to work during that time, so in an average day the smokers were working approximately 1 hour less than the non-smokers.

They never liked it when the fact was pointed out to them.

• Upvote 2

When I first came to Oz I lost my first job because when all my colleagues, the smokers, went outside to do their thing I got a bit fed up with it, being a non smoker, so decided I would grab a cuppa while they wasted the time chuffing, I got the bullet but the lazy barsteward smokers got away with it.

My wife used to be a supermarket manager here and regularly had "disagreemants" with staff as they assumed it was their right as smokers to go outside every hour or so to indulge in their horrible habit.

• Upvote 4

Its always amazed me anyone thinks they have a "right" to smoke in the first place while at work. Its a leisure activity so do it in your own time or stick to breaks everyone can have.

• Upvote 3

The problem with smoking is that it was always accepted as the normal thing to do. As time went on it was found that smoking was a serious danger to your health. Some people chose to heed the warnings and gave up smoking but many others found it impossible to stop and others just didn't want to stop. I can sympathize with the smokers because cigarettes are very addictive and become a habit. I don't smoke and dislike being near a smoker but I think there should be designated places for smokers in the workplace. Having said that, I don't think people should just stop working and go for a smoke when they feel like it. It's the norm for a working day to consist of a lunch break and a short break in the morning and afternoon. It's only during these breaks that a smoker should be allowed to go to the designated smoking areas.

• Upvote 1

My wife worked in a bookies & was the only none smoker there, they'd all go outside for a fag break & leave her to serve the punters, she decided to have a coffee break one day & the gaffer asked what she was doing? She said "it's my coffee break instead of a fag break!" He said "if you don't smoke you don't get a break!" She threatened to take it higher & he backed down. She left soon after as there was a bad atmosphere..

• Upvote 3

Fag breaks have only become a problem since they banned smoking in the work place,previously folk just smoked whilst working..............

When I worked at a plastic injection moulding factory at Grantham twenty years ago. You weren't allowed to smoke inside anyway.

However, you could bet your life, if I was outside talking to the smokers, it was ALWAYS me that the MD berated.

I got my own back though!

Crazy when you think where people were allowed to smoke only a short time ago.........Public Transport,Shops,Hospitals,Football grounds,Cinemas,Pubs,Doctors waiting rooms,......even in the Doctors Surgery if he smoked and i think most did,.......and the funniest of all.......an Ashtray at the side of your Hospital bed..............

• Upvote 2

I was in the QMC about 20 years ago, and in the next bed was a middle aged woman who had been brought in after collapsing with breathing difficulties.

Her husband visited her, and brought a lighter and a packet of cigarettes. I was dumbfounded, especially when it was quiet and she lit up near the open window. Unbelievable waste of NHS funds keeping the likes of her alive!

50+ years ago my Dad was in bed poorly, flu or something. It was in the days when the Doctor would come to visit his sick patients. On the bedside table was a packet of cigarettes. The doctor (Furniss from an Arnold surgery) took a ciggy out of the packet, lit it and smoked it whilst standing by Dad's bed. Even in those days we were astounded that he had the nerve to do that, cheeky sod!

• Upvote 2

Should'nt laugh Lizzie...........but i actually had a Doctor tell me to keep smoking and drinking Whisky........mind you hee also told me to give women up and don't get married again,.......only took his advice on one of his pearls of wisdom.........lol.

• Upvote 1

True story here.

My brother was was walking out of the QMC main entrance a couple of years ago & dropped dead. A doctor was standing nearby having a fag. Promptly he flagged a passing ambulance & between him & a couple of paramedics managed to revive him.

Shortly afterwards he underwent a triple coronary bypass operation. Today he is still alive, which just goes to show that smoking can be good for your health ! hellotheresmokingkills

• Upvote 2

It will be 7 years come July since I gave up tobacco(2 x 50 gram packs a week) I still get the odd desire for a smoke but it soon passes.

#21 Capstan (full strength )are now over £10 for 20 I can remember when they were 5/5d(27p)

• Upvote 1