Looking at those workers on the roof of those houses, no roof ladders no elf n safety then obviously.

Roofers won't go on a roof nowadays unless the building is clad in scaffolding, mind you neither would I.

When I was an apprentice the company I worked for had the job every few months of going around to all of the sirens in Nottinghamshire to test them. We had to measure the insulation resistance and give them a quick flip on and off to make sure they started o-k. We used to like the job as it was mostly just driving around. I didn't like it when we had to climb a tower as I am not keen on heights.

Many were on fire stations and were also sounded routinely when a fire call came in. Do they still sound for fire calls?

The UK's civil defence siren network was decommissioned in the early 1990s. The only sirens now remaining are those used to warn of flooding; incidents at chemical and nuclear facilities, and escapees from secure mental hospitals.

My Dad was 19 when Nottingham was bombed, working at ROF. He doesn't remember anything of it as he was in bed at home in Lenton suffering from Pleurisy. It put the mockers on his footballing though because County's pitch took a hit.

Mum would have been 17 and living near the Midland Station, working in a munitions factory somewhere. She never ever mentioned the bombing to us.

• Upvote 3

Ive mentioned this before but can't find it so i'll repeat cos i think you'll find it funny,..........one night when Nottingham was being Bombed my Grandma and Grandad with kids were running for the shelter...........Grandads brasers were trailing him (being a gent note Grandad was in front of Grandma lol.) and Grandma stood on his trailing Brasers................they shot nastily into his back.........and he yelled ''keep running Mary they got me''............

• Upvote 11

This September marks the 100th anniversary of Nottingham being bombed in 1916 by a zepelin. I have a personal connection with this incident as a bomb was dropped on Hickling Road Mapperley. It was probably just a bomb dropped for the sake of it rather than a deliberate targeting. It fell near the front of the house where my father who was 2 at the time and my grandmother were in the front bedroom. The house was badly damaged but they were uninjured as my grandmother had taken my father and hidden behind a large wardrobe possibly at hearing the bombs dropping on the City. They were rehoused in Hyson Green.

There is a supernatural angle to this as my grandmother claimed that her husband had woken her and told her to take sonny and get behind the wardrobe. He was away in France with the war so this was impossible and when he came home on leave knew nothing of the incident. There was a previous long thread about the 1916 bombing but I can't find it just now.

I intend to contact the post and BBC radio Nottingham who have previously interviewed me re the incident.

• Upvote 1

Didn't hear a thing, but the neighbours grandkids were playing noisily.

its all about wind direction,today it was from the north east,more chance in Clifton than Carrington...............

The Evening Post has a video of the siren being sounded. Definitely not a WW2 air raid siren. I suspect they downloaded an MP3 and played it back over a loud speaker. It needed to be the real thing to get the emotional effect - you would not play the Last Post on a synthesiser.

• Upvote 2

It was just over a month ago that it was the 75th anniversary of the daylight raid on Ransome and Marles at Newark on 7th March 1941, 41 people were killed.

Does anyone know if any other places in Nottinghamshire were bombed? I remember my granddad telling me that many of the local collieries were linked underground in case the winding gear was hit at one colliery the men could get to the surface through another mine. Were any of the collieries or the Trent valley power stations targeted?

My maternal great aunt lived near the top of Ransom road on Caunton avenue, she had a piece of shrapnel in her cupboard at side of her fireplace, I used to play with it as a kid and she always said she picked it up when they bombed Nottm.

Haven't a clue where it came from maybe where she lived or somewhere further down towards St Annes Well road, but always remember the story.