I admire you Compo for getting your self back on track it could not have been easy.

Maybe their is a chance  that as a Nation we might change our attitude to others. Years ago people who had mental health problems were given awful names by society, but due to having more knowledge and understanding about the conditions we accept them, in a real world everyone should be equal but you will never get this, but better education might help.

• Upvote 2

Compo

I don't think I would have coped with all that happened to you,but you came through it all and now live in a lovely home in a beautiful place,I admire you.

About three years ago my daughter and I would always try to give a little help to a certain beggar in town.We would get a sandwich or a drink for him ,he was so grateful ,polite,and never asked for anything,we would have a little chat,he always seemed happy to see us.Then he disappeared,I often wonder what happened to him.Maybe he went back to Birmingham ,he told us that's where he used to live.

• Upvote 2

Me neither NBL. I'm just glad I'm not in their position whatever their motives !

We have a few beggars who usually stand outside the supermarkets. Our shopping centre hosts a coloured young man and he just stands at the foot of the escalator. Hes all wrapped up against the cold but he doesnt ask for anything though. We have been asked not to give to beggars but occasionally he offers to take the trollies back or help pack your car what do you do tell him to get lost. He is unbelievably polite. This morning shopping in the local supermarket another young man also coloured was standing outside. He always says good morning like the other one. My husband has got to know him quite well and they always have a chat. He speaks english and asked my husband did he know about any jobs that were going as he really wants to work and is embarressed he has to beg.

You never know what life is going to bail out do you?

• Upvote 5
23 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

Our shopping centre hosts a coloured young man 

Made chuckle, you would have got 3 days off without pay & have to go on a diversity course for saying that in our tea bar, the lads that lived out in the sticks up Mansfeld way the worse offenders!

• Upvote 1

Just watching Notts TV debate and they were discussing how the Dutch are tackling the problem of begging,they are piloting a scheme whereby the beggar has an electronic device on the back of their jacket and if you want to donate some money to that person you can do it contactlessly via you credit/debit card just by hovering your card passed their reader and entering the amount you want to donate,the money (electronically) donated can then be used for buying food/clothing/accomadation only (electronically), it has been muted "would this be a good idea to pilot in Nottingham?",apparently nottingham had 39 people sleeping rough over the Christmas period.

I think this could be open to abuse,what's your thoughts?

Rog

Know what you mean Ben, the point is Begging on the streets of Nottingham is outlawed so why would the powers that be even look at this system,are they about to make it legal to beg? the Dutch idea is so that the poor unfortunate doesn't get folding to spend on whatever,the credits on his card reader can only be used for food etc,My point is,it won't be long before some toerag comes along to clear this card reader and pocket the proceeds for him/herself.the problem of homelessness has to be addressed at source but I haven't a clue where one would start,thats why we have so called experts (not the bloody social workers) to sort this mess out instead of feathering their own nests at the expence of these poor people.

Rog

• Upvote 1

In her working life, Mrs Compo was a senior Social Worker.  There were those people "In the know" who knew all of their rights and were regulars at the office, making demands for this, that and the other; usually money for emergency food for the children.  Nora (Mrs Compo) would say "Yes, of course you are entitled to an emergency food allowance" and then take them to the shop personally and buy them food with the money so that it didn't go straight to the bookies or the booze.  Many stopped being a nuisance when they got to know her!

• Upvote 2

Your wife sounds like a 'good un' compo.

Social services are an easy target for blame. A lot of overstressed social workers are out there, trying to help others while on a shoe string budget. We should support them. My daughter chairs (unpaid) two charities who try to get drug addicts from sleeping rough during rehabilitation. Our grandson was a volunteer worker for on of the charities during Uni Summer break. Another grandson is studying social care at Liverpool Uni and wants to work with rehabilitation schemes. His brother works at a psychiatric hospital. I am proud of them. They are certainly not 'feathering their own nest'. 

• Upvote 2

My eldest son went feral for some time. He became a drug addict and was sleeping rough for quite a while.  Eventually he pulled himself together and is now a qualified therapist, treating drug addiction and other family problems.  Just guz ter show duntit?!

• Upvote 5

Well done to your son compo, I expect he is very good at his job because of the knowledge he gained from his experiences, I know of a very similar example, someone close to me, who went through an almost identical experience and they can understand things that we can only imagine. This person did the same as your son, but eventually gave up the career to go on and have a big family.

All the best for a long and successful career for your son.

• Upvote 4
  • 1 year later...