The odd things we do....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

#17 Col...................very very seldom do i go in a Pub at night.........however i go in Wthers in Bulwell most mornings and love the banter aimed at me cos i'm one of very few blokes that dont ha

I remember going to Skeg with me dad back in the 60's in his Ford anglia and counting telegraph poles per mile when we got into Lincolnshire,look at his odometer and when it changed mile I would count

Just been trying to Sew new buttons on me Waistcoat...........no chance with 'Shaky fingers' nearly had me eye out,............so wife took over but with her Arthritic fingers she struggled,but eventu

I do all of the list except 2 and 8. I do not converse with cats but it is good fun to answer the sheep and get them all going when we are on country walks.  One hotel we stayed in had a strict no dogs policy.  A very posh couple had two dogs (think they were going shooting) and they took them to their room.  When we went upstairs from the bar, having has plenty to drink, there was a growling and scuffling as we passed their room so I barked back at the dogs.  All hell broke loose! We made a dash for our room without being seen.  The next night the dogs were locked up in the back of the Range Rover!

• Upvote 2

When the waitress brings your meal out to you, and she's holding the plate with a cloth, puts it in front of you and says, don't touch the plate, it's hot, what do you do? Why, touch the plate of course to check she was right! 

• Upvote 1

Re  #30: There was a chap who worked at Plessey, in the same test and repair workshop as me, whose favourite practical joke was to touch you with something - anything would do and declare "This is red hot!"  It never failed to make folk jump :) 

Just been trying to Sew new buttons on me Waistcoat...........no chance with 'Shaky fingers' nearly had me eye out,............so wife took over but with her Arthritic fingers she struggled,but eventually did it..........then handing me back the needle and cotton our fingers touched,..........and 'Crackle'......surge of Electricity shot between us................just like 30 years ago.........lol.

• Upvote 4

It doesn't matter where we go, if we sit down and there are stones around, I have an uncontrollable urge to build a miniature Stonehenge. I have to do it. On the beach, all the other people are building sand castles. Not us; oh no it has to be Stonehenge. Mind you it soon has the interest of any kids watching. It's weird really, because I don't even realise I am doing it sometimes!

• Upvote 1

Funny you should say that Rog. My paternal ancestors were builders; not from Wiltshire though, up the top of Carlton Hill and Sneinton, even got an avenue up there with my  ancestors name on it. It must be in the genes. haha.

• Upvote 1

Carni

My late husbands family were builders,his mothers maiden name was Brookes....they built Brooks. Cottages Carlton Hill,some were knocked down but I believe some are still there.

• Upvote 1

crankypig, we always joked that Comery ave at the top of Carlton Hill was named after my ancestors, not really thinking it would be true, but when I started building my family tree, we found that there were builders in the family long ago. After help from some Nottstalgians, an advert was found  and my ancestors name was one of the builders, so it was probably true, I would have loved my dad to have known before he passed away. Mind you, he probably knew anyway.

This is the info that DavidW kindly found for me.

Can't help on the Savages Yard part but from the British Newspaper Archive from 1927 , there are a couple of adverts , see below, mentioning a Comery and Duckworth . Were they the builders of the houses and so one of them got a road named after him ?

CARLTON ROAD, Comery-avenue. Newly-erected detached Houses, two sitting, three bedrooms, bath, electric light, close to cars, road made, price from £S9s.—Comery and Duckering. Evening Post." lE**

IMMEDIATE Possession, freehold, Rock Villa, Ellaroad, West Bndgford, entrance, £500.—Comery and Duckering. ,Nottingham Evening Post East Midlands, England

Carni

Not sure if they would be related to you ,I can remember a family with the surname Comery ...they lived on New Row,which is opposite the Nags Head pub Carlton hill,there was Betty and Marlene,can't remember any other family members.

There were many Comerys in the 1800s in Carlton/Snienton areas. and there were many branches, with certain Christian names weaving through them, making it quite difficult to work out who is who. Whilst building my family tree I found most of my closest ancestors, some living as close as Marhill rd Carlton. They are on my paternal side and we weren't brought up with much contact with that side. No reason other than they must have drifted apart. I do remember visiting people, who were probably my fathers G-Parents, Aunts/ Uncles etc, but we were very young and they didn't mean much to me. 

I would say that the Comerys that you knew crankypig probably were some connection with us, as the name and area make it very likely, but perhaps very distant.I imagine without realising that I have walked past many distant relations in and around Carlton in my time.

Since building my family tree it has made me aware that, there are probably so many people in the streets of the areas that we are all brought up in are probably distant relatives. Fascinating really.

Back on topic.

I can't throw away plastic containers, Shoe Laces, the little fine ribbons on the shoulders that hold jumpers on the coat hangers in shops, Bows off cards. I save them.....Just in case. A box full of them all. It drives me crazy.

My big obsession lately is washing little plastic sandwich bags especially the ones that you buy with little zips along the top. looks really funny all hanging upside down on the line.

I hate this throw away fashion. I just think of all the natural resources being taken from this Earth unnecessarily.

Rant Over.

• Upvote 2

Ben: Drink is not sold in pubs in Scotland until 11am and in shops 10am.  Its a right bleddy nuisance for me because I have to travel 9 miles in to town and I like doing my shopping at 8am when it is quiet.  That means if I want a bottle of wine for the weekend I have to hang around until 10am before they can serve me.  They say the later sales time limit is in force to reduce the number of alcoholics hanging around in the mornings but they just hang around that little bit longer now that sales time is later.

22 minutes ago, carni said:

Back on topic.

\snip\

I hate this throw away fashion. I just think of all the natural resources being taken from this Earth unnecessarily.

Rant Over.

I also save everything like that. Yesterday I was washing a small seal-up plastic bag that I have had since 1977 - Got a batch of them second-hand from an electronics assembly factory; they had small components in them and were being thrown out after the components were used.  I was quite saddened when the water flowed out through a split in its side :( 

• Upvote 1

Sometimes when you buy garments they will have a tiny plastic bag with spare buttons in, I even use those for keeping earrings together, saves rummaging through the Jewellery box for pairs. Most often I reinforce the stitching holding buttons on, so the spares just go in a clear jar. Even the jar of buttons looks good with a ribbon round it and put on a shelf as an ornament! I think we are probably a generation of improvisers. Waste not...........:)

PS, The Buttons Jar looks good on the shelf next to my Marbles Jar!:biggrin:

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I still have all my marbles - I keep them ina jar in my little museum of 20th century tat :)