The odd things we do....

Hands up if you do any of these:

1. Asking “what?” even though you heard what the person said.

2. When switching lanes in heavy traffic, you pick out a car and track it to see if you made the correct lane decision.

3. When writing “Wednesday,” you think of it as “Wed-nes-day.”

4. Occasionally check to see if you can move things with your mind.

5. Construct the perfect comeback or joke, even though the moment has already passed.

6. Meow back at cats.

7. Count the steps when going up and down stairs.

8. Check to see how long you can walk/drive with your eyes closed.

9. When you walk down the street and suddenly remember something, you act out a gesture (look at your phone/watch), so other pedestrians can see that you forgot something and are not just turning around for no reason, like some sort of fool.

10. Look into a store window, solely to see your own reflection.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

#17 Col...................very very seldom do i go in a Pub at night.........however i go in Wthers in Bulwell most mornings and love the banter aimed at me cos i'm one of very few blokes that dont ha

I remember going to Skeg with me dad back in the 60's in his Ford anglia and counting telegraph poles per mile when we got into Lincolnshire,look at his odometer and when it changed mile I would count

Just been trying to Sew new buttons on me Waistcoat...........no chance with 'Shaky fingers' nearly had me eye out,............so wife took over but with her Arthritic fingers she struggled,but eventu

I often walk up the driveway or garden with my eyes closed.  I usually get most of the way up the drive before ending up in the hedge! I also try cycling with my eyes closed - but not for many seconds!  I understand that we all have a bias to our walk; if we walk with eyes closed we will veer one way or the other.  With me it is to the left.

Here are a couple more

1.  Why do people move a vacuum cleaner over a small piece of thread again and again? Why do we pick it up, examine it and then place it back down and move the vacuum cleaner over it to give it a second chance?

2. When statistics claim that the sum of all the stars in the sky is about four billion, people believe it. But, when someone sees a sign on a park bench or board stating "wet paint", they must verify this?

• Upvote 1

Ive got this thing for counting things...........flock of birds...how many cars in a car park,......certain plants in the garden.....how many people say hello each morning,...change in my pocket....people in a room cafe/pub etc.............recently re-hashed my 'man room' and everything has to be 'symetrical'...............books..Ornaments...lights.............and neat,hate clutter.....at the moment have 352 books,10 Cat Ornaments and 6 photos....................i probably need therapy...........lol............so long as its an equal number of sessions i wont mind..........ODD INIT..............

• Upvote 4

Ben, I also have to count things - steps walked and stairs especially, but I'm not as bad as you!  

An odd thing I do when in the car with Paul driving is to look at the miles travelled at a certain point in the  journey and the time passed since leaving home, so I can work out the average speed (I love Maths!).   And I don't just mean looking at the miles travelled after one hour - that is much too obvious!  

And you know the ETA on the Satnav... I keep an eye on that and tell Paul every time we've 'lost' or 'gained' a minute.   

• Upvote 2

Yes Margie...........i do that regarding miles travelled,even on small journeys,i also love Maths and always calculate time and distance......for instance travelling to Peterborough at Xmas i said to Donna as we got on the A1 at Grantham 'we are half way there duck (35 miles) she was 'Riveted' by this information.............bet your Paul is too with your bits of info.............lol.

Edit...........forgot to mention 3 other ornaments in my 'man room'......namely 2, 18 in tall bronze statues of a naked couple embracing (tastefully) and a 'statue of Liberty' only small 6 inch........big one would look silly........

• Upvote 1

Most of them, but I put it down, not to a senior moment, but as a mind livener, and God knows, I need plenty of those.

Ok, maybe it's because I'm just a boring old fuss pot !

I remember going to Skeg with me dad back in the 60's in his Ford anglia and counting telegraph poles per mile when we got into Lincolnshire,look at his odometer and when it changed mile I would count the telegraph poles until it change again,for those interested theres 26 per mile,when I drive along those roads now on me way to work I always think of that, Silly old sod me

Rog

• Upvote 4

I'm not the only one that counts everything then! Drive me sen barmy sometimes. What drives me even more barmy is setting out on a journey and thinking, I'll see how far it is, so look at the odometer before I start and by the time I get there, I have forgotten I was doing that. By the time I remember, the mileage has moved on. 

• Upvote 1

I thin we all have a bit of OCD in us.  Each morning I cycle a route that takes me up a hill.  On the hill are three points of very rough road surface.  I have to cycle in a weaving motion or force my mind to think of something else in order to avoid counting the number of turns of the crankshaft between each patch!  It drives me bonkers sometimes.

• Upvote 2

I tend to be pretty punctual when needed, but otherwise I try not to get wound up about time.  It's passing quickly enough as it is.  I have a neighbour who I go walking with sometimes.  Salt of the earth, do anything for you sort of bloke but when we are out walking he'll say.  "That's taken us 27 minutes to get to here". Then a bit later.  "That's 54 minutes to here".  I smile and say "I'm out for a walk, not a time trial.."  but he still does it.  Drives me nuts.

I sometimes count stairs etc., but mostly I tend to count things like the number of times I've stirred my tea, or the number of turns it takes to tighten a screw.  I wish I didn't.

Also Compo's No. 5.  The perfect retort.  I spend ages telling myself I should have said this or that.  After the fact.

Got it right once though.  I was in the habit of dropping into my local for the last pint or so.  This was often commented on in a good natured fashion by other regulars.  The landlord was very happy for me to turn up at 10:55 and sink a few pints before going home quietly.  However one cantankerous and permanently annoyed character started having a go at me one night for "Coming in late".  I couldn't be bothered with him and said;  " Mind your business, it's not your pub".  He responded " If it was my pub you wouldn't be coming in at this time", to which I replied " If it was your pub I wouldn't be coming in at any time"  He went bright red with rage, but silent.  Several locals listening all shouted 'Good one Col!!  And then to round it off the Landlord turned on him and said:  "Oi.. stop annoying my best customer. He pays his way, he doesn't cause trouble, he doesn't wear my carpets out and he doesn't sit here all night with one pint like you!!". 

Result!

Col

• Upvote 2

Yes, but that doesn't count!  ;)

Col

• Upvote 1

#17 Col...................very very seldom do i go in a Pub at night.........however i go in Wthers in Bulwell most mornings and love the banter aimed at me cos i'm one of very few blokes that dont have a Pint........like to get in at 8.55 when theres usually about ten blokes waiting for 9am when alcohol is first served...........i get served ist with my Espresso and Tomato juice........to a chorus of ''have a proper drink'' ''whats that crap'' (refering to my Espresso in small cup) plus call of where you going a Funeral (on account of my dress sense)...........as you can imagine i give em some good retorts......like ''takes a real man to drink this'' and still sell proper clothes in town...........all good fun.......i love it........especially after my breakfast and leaving they nearly all shout....''Ta ra me duck''............just love friendly banter............but if a stranger is in and hears the early stuff he probably thinks theres going to be trouble............even in Bulwell tut,...............lol.

• Upvote 5

Trouble in Bulwell ! ...... As if !

Good on yer Ben, especially your espresso in a tiny cup. You cant beat it to wake you up to a good start.

Can't think of anything worse than alcohol at 9 am. It'd put me off all day.

• Upvote 1

When i do have a drink NonnaB The Sun has to be ''under the yard arm'' or is it over?............anyway getting dark,or i'd be out of it...............the London geezers or more like wheezers now days,that i sit with are a great bunch and the Banter really flies,this morning one of em mentioned the Peter Sellers rendition of 'Hard days night'..........and it went round the table everyone coming out with the next line in their best Sellers accent..........very funny............but i'm sure they were all tucked up in bed by 3pm.........sad really they all in their 70s and on there own but seem happy.............never rude never swear proper old Gents...............bless em.................

• Upvote 2