How's your day?

We call sycamores ‘weed trees’. This one’s in an ancient hedge. The seeds carry and spring up everywhere. I’m forever chopping down sycamore saplings, oak saplings and blackberry brambles. My bonfire heap gets bigger day by day.

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

As we drove through the village today there was a sign pointing to a ‘hen do’. My wife, in all innocence, asked why men’s parties were called ‘stag does’ and not ‘cock does’? I gasped and pretended I’d not heard her!

• Like 1

I’ve just tried the newly delivered Tiptree Medlar jelly from Amazon. A subtle flavour, not unpleasant but by far too much sugar. Just like jam. Looks like we’re going to have to make our own after all. 67gms sugar per 100gms medlars!! Not for the diabetics.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, katyjay said:

If it's a stag do for men, why not doe do for ladies. I wonder where the hen came from?

It came from an egg !

• Like 2
4 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I’ve just tried the newly delivered Tiptree Medlar jelly from Amazon. A subtle flavour, not unpleasant but by far too much sugar. Just like jam. Looks like we’re going to have to make our own after all. 67gms sugar per 100gms medlars!! Not for the diabetics.

Phil, that’s the beauty of making your own, you can adjust the sugar.  I much prefer redcurrant jelly to either cranberry or medlar. Great with ploughman’s or poultry. Talking of which, Thursday I had probably the best ploughman’s of my life at the Plough at Normanton on Soar. Would highly recommend. Next time we go we are going to order one between us. 

IMG-4844.jpg

As they say “There’s no peace for the wicked” .This butterfly wouldn’t leave alone. Sorry Ben I know you don’t like feet.

• Like 1
On 7/29/2023 at 4:13 PM, philmayfield said:

As we drove through the village today there was a sign pointing to a ‘hen do’. My wife, in all innocence, asked why men’s parties were called ‘stag does’ and not ‘cock does’? I gasped and pretended I’d not heard her!

There must be an answer to that somewhere:rolleyes:

A few pics from a great weekend at the 155th Heckington show Lincolnshire, sommat for everyone

DSCF2329.jpg

DSCF2332.jpg

DSCF2335.jpg

DSCF2337.jpg

DSCF2338.jpg

DSCF2339.jpg

DSCF2340.jpg

DSCF2343.jpg

DSCF2333.jpg

DSCF2336.jpg

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The Bedford reminds me of the one that delivered our coal when I was a child. It belonged to Mr Young of Thames Street, Bulwell. I still have one of his receipts somewhere from many years ago. He was a lovely man and is, I believe, still alive and connected with the Bulwell Local History Society.

• Like 1

Plantfit I have a push lawn mower as in the pictures I was given it in 1975 when my grandad passed away he kept his lawns immaculate with it. Since then it has been put in the back of my different sheds every time I moved house. I tried using it once never again its too much like hard work, give me powered mowers every time.

• Like 1

Rog., your 1st picture, is that a replica of a wooden 'boneshaker' or 'hobby horse'? One of the first types of bicycle.

• Like 1

Ooohh. He's a big lad!

12 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Ooohh. He's a big lad!

:shout:Yes he is. My son from childhood has been terrified of spiders. Had to fish this out before he wants to swim.

We are used to mosquitoes, leaves and a variety of insects. The other day I found a baby lizard trying to crawl out of the water, I was already in the water and helped it to climb the side and it ran off. Good deed of the day done. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Re the pics above.

@trogg Those old mowers need careful maintenance and set up, but can cut beautifully, assuming your lawn is actually flat to begin with. Otherwise they can, as you say, be very heavy and impractical. As I understand it, the number of blades on the cylinder is a sign of quality, the more the better.

If yours is genuinely old, it might be worth a phone call to see whether it's of any value, or of any interest to somewhere like:

https://www.lawnmowerworld.co.uk/

Re: the early bicycle. As I understand it the first version was the 'Hobby Horse', which had a steerable front wheel, but no pedals and was pushed along by the feet against the street.

The 'boneshaker' was more like a modern bike, in that it had pedals of some sort.

two-men-ride-on-early.jpg?width=1920&hei

I remember many years ago, at either Wollaton Hall, or the Castle, they had a display of them, plus assorted carriages, Sedan Chairs etc.

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Am I looking at the sheep or the large backside? :biggrin:

Up to you mate, I left both asses in depending which side of the border you are from (Lincs  or Notts)

Rog

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Beekay said:

Rog., your 1st picture, is that a replica of a wooden 'boneshaker' or 'hobby horse'? One of the first types of bicycle.

It is mate, the guy I spoke to about it made everything himself, he was going to have the wheels made but the wheelwright want £600 each so he made them himself, bike made from Elm and Oak,very interesting bloke to talk to, a member of the Boston vintage and veteran cycle club

Rog