How's your day?

You’ll be in the area on the 12th though eh Beekay ?  Presumed Tina would be coming too.

In fact the 12th was the preferred date you gave me.

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

@MRS B, Yes'm, all being well I'll be coming up on the 11th, so I don't have to rush to the meet up. Only sorry I cannot get to the March meet up. Could've visited a cousin Iv'e never met before, but all being hopeful, will make time to see her in Dec.

Tis a bit quiet on yer. Unless your'e into politics.

Leave it out Loppy. I'm owd enough to be your big brother. :Friends:

Fitted the magneto back on the Lister D today, I always take it off and store it in my shed over winter to stop the damp getting into it, anyway all went well, all lubrication points oiled, water tank filled and some petrol put in the tank, two turns of the starting handle and away it went, sounded great and never missed a beat, I ran it till the water in the tank started steaming which took about fifteen minutes then I shut it down, I will drain the water off when it cools down in cast there's a risk of frost, next week I'll start the Lister ST1 diesel and give that a good run

Trolley_with_handles_fitted_(5).jpg

Have a great day everyone

Rog

Whoopee , summat different. How come the magneto won't get damp in your shed? Have you done something to damproof it? A comfy mancave.

Dry shed, carpeted floor, magneto wrapped in an old towel, the telly, VCR and DVD player all good in fact I was watching a dvd about railways in there in the week, very cosy

DSCF1088_(2).jpg

Rog

• Like 2

An' I wonder where you got that from?

Have yuz finished it yet.

• Like 1

Not yet mate, sometime in the week though, enjoying watching it

Rog

The Nottingham Post has just published an article about "8 Nottinghamshire pubs serving exceptionally good food

They were :-

Dovecote Inn, Laxton

The Blacksmiths, Retford

The Lambley, Lambley

Black Bull, Blidworth

Martins Arms, Colston Bassett

Tap and Run, Upper Broughton

The Reindeer, Hoveringham

Unicorns Head, Langar

Has anyone eaten at any of these and if so what was your experience? We await philmayfield's review of the Reindeer with interest.

I only have experience of two of these pubs from 40+ years ago. The Black Bull at Blidworth was my paternal grandfathers home from home, he loved a pint or two of Shippo's bitter. It was a typical pub in a mining village with locals who had their own seats and the only reason you did not see them there at lunch time or in the evening was when they were either at work or dead. I went in there with my brother on my first trip back to the UK 10 years after I emigrated and was stood at the bar having a Ship Stout, the only Shippo's beer I could tolerate when one of the locals said "I aint seen thee for a while, where's tha bin?

The Reindeer at Hoveringham was often a stop on a Sunday drive with mum and dad. Dad would park the car in the carpark and we would walk the kilometre or so to the river. My brother and I were rewarded with a bottle of pop and a bag of crisps on return. We usually ended up somewhere on the Trent, either the Bromley Arms at Fiskerton, The Star and Garter at Hazelford or the Unicorn at Gunthorpe Bridge. Often via the Magna Charta at Lowdham or the Green Dragon or the Bridge Inn at Oxton.

I recall these memories with a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye as it is exactly two years ago that my brother died, far too young. I really miss talking with him each week, putting the world to rights and discussing good beer and whisky.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I’ve not been in the Reindeer since the early ‘60’s. We used to lunch out at least once a week prior to ‘lockdown’ but haven’t got back into the habit. Eating out just doesn’t appeal to me anymore. I just have a cup of tea and, appropriately, ‘two fingers’ of Kit Kat at lunchtime.

Out of interest today’s menu will be a full English breakfast, the usual light lunch and lamb chops and tiramisu for dinner, probably with a glass or two of Zinfandel. I lead a very simple life.

If we hadn’t been up in Lancashire yesterday we could have gone to the Lent Lunch in the  village hall and dined with a bunch of elderly Christians on leek and potato soup and bread and cheese. Sorry I missed that!:(

The Lambley appears to be the former Nag's Head on Main Street, Lambley.  This was kept by my mother's relatives, as was every other pub in Lambley village, during the early years of the twentieth century. My great grandfather, John Thompson, kept The Robin Hood and Little John after he retired from farming. He had previously farmed Crimea Farm on Spring Lane. His brother, William, kept The Nag's Head. It is many years since I went into The Nag's Head for lunch and it was still pretty much as William would have known it.

The Woodlark was kept by a more distant relative in the early years of the twentieth century. My mother recalled trips over to Lambley on summer evenings when she was a child when all the men would wander over to The Woodlark for a drink. It was their favourite hostelry.

I remember going to The Robin Hood to give a local history talk some years ago. I was presented with a framed photo of the pub, taken around 1905. In the doorway is my great great uncle who took over the hostelry from his father around that time. Pure coincidence. No one knew he was a member of my family.

• Upvote 1

I drove through Lambley everyday for over 30 years and still regularly pass through. I’ve never set foot in the village though. I’m always intrigued by the garage that sells fuel at 30p more than the usual price. I’ve never seen anyone filling there!

I took my mother to Lambley in the 1980s. She didn't recognise the place she had been so fond of in her childhood.  I photographed all the family gravestones in the 1970s when they were still in situ. They have since been removed, sadly.

15 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Where’s the cocktail cabinet Rog? :biggrin:

I'll stay with the little gas cooker and camp kettle for coffee for the time being Phil although cocktails does sound good slywink

Rog

35 minutes ago, plantfit said:

I'll stay with the little gas cooker and camp kettle for coffee for the time being Phil although cocktails does sound good slywink

Rog

When are you going to be let back into the house Rog?

• Like 1

Oz, I can only speak for the Tap and Run at Upper Broughton, amazing food and service, not cheap but lovely for a special occasion. Owned by Stuart Broad  and Harry Gurney who also have the Griffin at Swithland which they are renovating. Bit nearer home for me but same food. Must try the Unicorn and the Martins Arms, my old stomping ground.