• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Good on yer PP, an inspiration to us all, keep up the good work

Rog

52 minutes ago, Oztalgian said:

I have a leaf blower that converts to a lawn vac.

I've got to cut the grass this week with the mower so that should pick up any debris from the tree (I hope) and like you I tip the contents of the collecting bag/box on the garden to act as compost/soil conditioner, never thought to use my leaf blower though I could blow the leaves off my grass and into the field at the back of my garden, thanks for the tip Oz

Rog

I’ve used Toro mulching mowers for the past six years, both a ride on and a walk behind. They chop grass and leaves into a fine mulch so I don’t have to collect the cuttings and drive back and forth to the compost heap. The mulch feeds the lawns and I must say they’ve never looked better. I cut about an acre and a half so I have a wealth of grass cutting experience! I’ve cut the grass six times this year already. 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, plantfit said:

Another very windy day but make the most of it eh?, dustbin day today out here, general waste and garden waste, first job this morning was to (once again) clear all the cat poo off the garden, I've got some netting on the way to see if that helps with the problem (fingers crossed) at the moment my back garden is covered in leaves from the tall tree in the corner of the field, do I clear them up or do I leave them to break down and act as some sort of feed for the grass?, Might try out the powered scroll saw today cutting out some components for the wooden "golly frogs"  frogs and teddy bear models if I make enough I might take them to the newly re-started monthly car boot sale on the sports field in the next village,

Under the kitchen window where I sit with my laptop I can hear the cock bird pheasant, he comes here twice a day with two of his "wives" to clear up the spilt seed from the bird feeders that hang in the silver birch tree, not the best of photo's because I took this one through the window

DSCF2583.jpg

He usually starts shouting in the back garden near the bedroom window around 05.30 every day then makes his way to the side of the place for his breakfast of spilt seeds, great to see him though, anyroad, have a great day all and lets see what the day brings us

Rog

Rog, I put bean poles about a foot high in my pots in the garden to deter cats (mostly my two) from using them as toilet facilities which works and I’ve always got a supply of broken poles so good recycling. Maybe you could try that, would be a bit more hedgehog friendly than netting as they’ll just avoid them.

Mrs B, I've got bean sticks on the garden patch with upturned plastic bottles on top of them and they rattle about in the slightest breeze but has not stopped these cats, the small garden patch is only about twelve feet x six feet along the fence so that leaves around forty feet for the hogs to come in from the fields which they do

P1070423.jpg

The little garden patch is just to the left in this picture and as you can see there is plenty of room for the hogs and they go under the shed for the food I leave for them (cats cant get under the shed)

P1090402_(2).jpg

Rog

• Like 2

Nice pics. I really can’t think of any other deterrent then. 

On 4/14/2024 at 7:25 PM, mary1947 said:

Yes I too was a qualified hairdresser with a very low wage so took a part time job 3 evenings a week plus Sundays in one of the Berni bars . I enjoyed it as I met so many lovely people and the cash enabled me to travel to USA and stay for 3 months.

Plantfit when we lived at cinder hill we had quite a few peacocks in the area ( Bagnall  rd ) They we’re beautiful opening their feathers more often than not but they do make a noise don’t they?

These are pheasants Nonna but great to see them all the same

These however are Peacocks strutting their stuff on the lane near home a few years ago

peacocks_on_my_way_to_work_(1).jpg

Rog

When we lived in Hertfordshire a peacock turned up in the garden and wandered around for a day or so with our Guinea Fowl, then disappeared as quickly as he arrived.  On another occasion the Guinea Fowl were carrying on like guard dogs when a chimney sweep came to the house.  He came in and said “Do you know you’ve got peacocks in your garden?”  To me they’re totally different, he must have been a townie! 

Many years ago the occupants of East Hall in our village had a peacock. It used to trespass into the garden of West Hall (a semi detached hall would you believe!) The peacock, Oscar, used to eat the young vegetables in West Hall’s veg garden. The owner of West Hall consulted his solicitors as to the action he could take but was told, under the Wild Birds’ Act there was nothing he could do about it. He did however manage to secretly capture it and release it some miles away!

Odd this should be mentioned as I was talking to my granddaughter about this only this morning. A few years after we moved here Phil, we had a Peacock visit our garden quite often. This lasted a few weeks then we never saw it again.

I had a peacock visit my garden regularly when I lived in Brinsley. I named him Percy. Percy the peacock. He was quite friendly but could never be persuaded to display his tail feathers for me. I just wasn't the sort of female he was trying to impress, I suppose.

As a child, I remember the peacock at The Arboretum. He was a real exhibitionist and fanned his tail for anyone and everyone but, even as a child, I didn't like the fact that he was caged.

We had lots of muntjac in our wood down south, I believe they were introduced into the country many many years ago by Lord Rothschild who had lived nearby.  They’re very shy and timid normally but occasionally one would venture out onto the lawn to be chased back into the wood by our Rhodesian Ridgeback ……. I witnessed the dog being chased out by the deer too!  But seeing the resident wallaby hopping across the lawn will always be our favourite memory of living in the countryside.  

This one in the field at the back of my place

wildlife_004.jpg

wildlife_002.jpg

Rog

• Like 5
58 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Friends in the King's Lynn area of Norfolk report seeing them quite regularly.

Muntjacs or Wallabies?

7 hours ago, nonnaB said:

Yes I too was a qualified hairdresser with a very low wage so took a part time job 3 evenings a week plus Sundays in one of the Berni bars . I enjoyed it as I met so many lovely people and the cash enabled me to travel to USA and stay for 3 months.

Plantfit when we lived at cinder hill we had quite a few peacocks in the area ( Bagnall  rd ) They we’re beautiful opening their feathers more often than not but they do make a noise don’t they?

Hi nonnaB yes we have spoken about Hairdressing wages before we must be about same age, I believe you were working at The Park Salon on Derby rd and at the same time I was just around the corner top Alfreton rd working at Barbara Chapmans. Wage's for hairdresser were set by The Wages council. So we had no choice in the matter. 

For folk who would like to know how much we were paid___::::::

When I started hairdressing as an apprentice  wages were 

£1   9/6  My mam had 10/- for board  9/6 was for bus                                                          

Couple of years ago I was in Norfolk near Hunstanton and a Muntjac ran across the road right in front of the car and away into the fields. It had a strange bouncing run. I had no idea what it was so asked locals and they told me what it was and that they are quite common. Late last year I’m pretty sure one was in Epperstone. Some distance away but 95% it was one.

Had a lovely day out in York today, checked the weather forecast before setting off and it looks like being a nice day but rain coming in about 14.30 so off we went, bit of traffic on the A1 for some bridge repairs north of Barnsley but other than that it was a nice drive, used the park and ride at Askham Bar, £2.40 for the two of us which was nice, first off we went for a cuppa at the Castle tea rooms plus scrambled eggs on toast just under a tenner for both of us, then a walk around all the tourist routes including a walk around the wall and a riverside walk looking at the pleasure boats, nice little market on as well just at the side of the Shambles, anyway after more or less non stop walking we went for some lunch of roast lamb, roast spuds and three veg including mint sauce and gravy all in a big round Yorkshire pud £16.00 including two coffees for both of us,  caught the electric bus back to the park and ride for spot on 14.30 where as forecast it just started to rain, another result on the way back down the A1 I saw a German car with both sets of indicator lights working when he overtook us and pulled in front again, what a lovely surprise and my faith in German motor cars has been partly restored, that aside we got home safe and sound at 16.00 after having a lovely day, hope you have all had a great day

Rog

• Like 3