• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, Brew said:

No visit to the Railway Museum PF?

Apparently half of it is close for a refurb or sommat so didn't bother, might go when it's all finished though always a good day out there, there is a lot of groundworks going on at the station too

Rog

On 4/17/2024 at 3:10 PM, plantfit said:

These are pheasants Nonna but great to see them all the same

These however are Peacocks strutting their stuff on the lane near home a few years ago

peacocks_on_my_way_to_work_(1).jpg

Rog

Sorry thought I read peacocks. Having said that I remember thinking they weren’t quite the right shape

• Like 1

My son has some Scandinavian customers who have bought a house not far from us. They come here every summer and about 2 weeks ago they came down to tidy up for the summer. They’d been broken into. He has video surveillance and all sorts of alarms. The thieves couldn’t get through the usual channels so they managed to break a window and get in through the cantina. Once in they practically demolished everything. Doors , windows , furniture and whatever they could damage they did.  The relief was that his daughter should have gone with some friends for her birthday party and they would have been on their own.  This is a very popular area for foreigners buying houses especially old cascinas or even building them. The police seem to think that someone knew the house would be empty . Word that circulates through the vineyards with extra comunitari working them.  I feel sorry for them but fortunately no one was hurt. 

How upsetting for the owners @nonnaBnot just the fact of intrusion of their personal space but to go around totally wrecking the place.  I can’t imagine how distraught they will be feeling now, it’s awful.  

Two of my favourite things tonight, listened to the last call of the blackbirds and fed  and watered my large hedgehog. Time for a Bacardi and coke now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nice little trinket given to me the other day, a pin badge of the Raleigh heron, We were given a pin badge when I worked in the fabrication shop at the Raleigh for a couple of years early/mid 90's, unfortunately I lost mine many years ago but a good friend of mine who worked in the design office came to my rescue the other week and gave me this one, I have put it next to a twenty pence piece for scale

DSCF2525.jpg

Rog

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, katyjay said:

I worked there 5 1/2 years and I have never seen a badge before. 

They did'nt do badges when we were there Kath. They were'nt around then.

• Like 2

Somewhere I have a medallion given to all the employees of the automotive components company I worked for in Sydney celebrating 75 years of operation. They only went and spelled the name of the company wrong didn't they. HR who organised it and did the proof reading of the artwork got an almighty bollocking from the MD. I suppose one day it might be worth something.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 8/2/2021 at 10:38 PM, MargieH said:

Watching the Olympics

It is just short of 100 days until the start of "The Limp Dick Games"

The free to air TV channel that is telecasting the games is bombarding us with jingoistic adverts. Obviously all about Australian participants. When it is on we only see events where the Australians participate and never see any of the non main stream but nevertheless interesting sports. FFS Break dancing is not a sport neither is "sport" climbing or 3x3 Basketball, what in the heck is artistic swimming? Where are they going to surf in Paris? Have a guess, it will be in Teahupo'o in Tahiti, French Polynesia. What a bl**dy joke! Apparently Baseball, Softball and Karate are being dropped for Paris.

Small wonder that I will not be taking any interest in it. It is about time they stopped this expensive event along with the Commonwealth Games as nobody wants to host them. Rumblings are happening over the cost of the 2032 games in Brisbane. Melbourne cancelled the 2026 Commonwealth Games and The Gold Coast have withdrawn their nomination they are now without a host city and may be delayed by a year or cancelled altogether.

• Like 2

I agree with you @Oztalgianabout the new weird ‘sporting’ additions to the Olympic Games and have very little interest in the Games this year.

As a family we’ve always loved watching the track events, cycling and swimming but our interest has waned somewhat over recent years.  
I had a wonderful day at the London Olympics with my son and daughter-in-law and when our boys were young we took then to the Edinburgh Commonwealth Games in 1986 and Victoria BC in 1994.  Both trips were brilliant and a lot of fun, particularly the Victoria trip when we were staying with family and had tickets for lots of events.  The boys were teenagers by then and went off into town with their cousins, often coming back with their trainers and T shirts signed by English athletes who they’d bumped into!  As for the television coverage I suppose other countries, like Australia, are not going to concentrate on ‘foreigners’. We did find that in Canada in 1994, it was all about the Canadian athletes and very little about the other countries.  

Lest we forget how great England is................

• Like 3

Been to Melton Mowbray market today, not a great deal going on, a lot of empty stalls in the covered "tat" market and not many people about, the street market was worse half the stalls missing compared to two years ago, I got talking to a lady who owns the Mrs B's cafe and she said today the market is a lot bigger to what it has been of late so it must have been very poor, shops wise once again a lot have closed down and now empty, there are however plenty of Vape shops, barbers, mobile phone repair shops and a smattering of the usual charity shops, I did see one butchers shop with a queue outside which I thought was good until I read the sign on the door " Only two family members allowed in this shop at any one time" don't have a clue what that was about, I think Loughborough market might be on the cards in  couple of weeks

hope you've all had a good day though

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We used to regularly go to Melton market on a Tuesday but haven’t been for some years. Back then it was thriving and interesting place to walk round. We always came back with a Stilton cheese and a pie from the Olde Pie Shoppe. A farmer friend used to help at the sheep auction on market day.

• Like 1

I didn’t know I had a cafe in Melton ….. interesting 

• Like 1

The Olde pork pie shop is being re furbished so the front is all boarded up and the entrance is now round the side but didn't see too many folk around there either Phil

Rog

My favourite pork pies now are from Mike Malony of Tuxford. I used to get them from Gonalston Farm Shop but since that burned down it means a 40 mile round trip. That’s a long way just for a pork pie!

• Like 1

There’s a market every Monday in Bakewell Rog. It was excellent last time we visited but that would be over 5 years ago. Bakewell’s a nice town to visit in any case but I was talking on Saturday to someone who lives there who said it’s become very ‘touristy’. There used to be ample parking on the water meadows, just a short walk from the town centre.

• Like 1

All I'd like to find is a bloody pork pie that's still got jelly in! Fed up with the crap they sell down here.

Aha the pork pie debate again, I love the jelly and the pastry. Better than the meat. 

Had an interesting time with a plumber yesterday. The pressure relief valve from the hot water tank was leaking and to set about replacing it he had to turn off the supply to the solar water heater on the roof. Easy job valve replaced but when it came to turn the water on again the stop tap for the solar water heater would not stop leaking.

He called his apprentice to get a new one and it was soon fitted with no problem. Just one job left, that was to change the cold water supply to the kitchen from tank water to mains. We had to top the tanks up with mains water a few weeks ago as we have had no meaningful rain for months He went to the main supply stop tap and turned the handle towards the off position but the handle came off in his hand. Not surprising given that to my knowledge it has not been operated in the 8 years we have been here. The result was a ten foot fountain effectively watering the garden and lawn with free water as the tap was on the supply side before the meter. A quick call to the local water supply company who said that they would be there within 5 hours. An hour and a half later they turned up and fixed the leak. We will try and finish the job today.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, MRS B said:

Aha the pork pie debate again, I love the jelly and the pastry. Better than the meat. 

The original reason for the jelly in a pork pie was to preserve the meat and keep it moist. Eating it is optional. You can, if you desire, eat the paper in which it’s wrapped! :laughing:

• Like 1