DJ360

How's your day?

Just been out for dinner and got chatting to two old ladies in the restaurant.  They both worked at RNIB in London years ago translating ‘O’ Level, ‘A’ Level’ and Degree exam papers into Braille.  One lady worked on French and German papers and the other did the Maths and Sciences.   Must say I was well impressed, they were a really interesting pair to talk to.  One is living in a care home now, after a couple of spells in hospital following falls but the other lady is off to Mongolia on holiday in the summer, last year she went on the Trans Siberian Railway for a two week trip.  Our meal was good too!  

• Like 6

On 3/17/2019 at 3:13 PM, Compo said:

Took a clifftop walk from Nybster to Buchollie castle in the north east Caithness this morning. three and a half hours in heavy wintry showers and near gale force wind....I must fecking bonkers!

Strange how some of us do silly uncomfortable things for enjoyment! Today I was determined to catch my first reservoir trout of the season. The cold wind, augmented with an icy shower or two made the fishing very hard. All the other fishermen were sensible folk and fished with the wind behind them - but I knew from past experience that the  fish were on the  opposite bank. So I fished there and had to cast into the icy wind. Bleddy freezin, but I got my fish :).  

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Well done, PP! :)

Well Miducks, I survived my 'Procedure' yesterday, we didn't get home from hospital until nearly 7pm so was shattered. I needed my pillow. All went well, but being 'A mardy little bu99er' I went straight to bed. Glad it's over for now.  I've been eating for England today,  no food for  29hrs, just  water. Worse than prison, at least they get bread with the water in there!:biggrin: 

• Like 9

You will soon be down to Birds, or sending someone else for your refreshments,  all the best for a speedy recovery Carni.  You will soon be back on your feet or cakes.

• Like 1

No food for 29 hours??  Only one cure for that...the biggest, squashiest chocolate cake you can find. And don't share it with anyone!

Speedy recovery, Carni.

• Like 2

Only managed a little food today, Suger Puffs, piece of cheese, 1 slice toast and beans.......Choccy cake perhaps tomorrow.:biggrin:

• Like 1

Yesterday was my first day on a boat this season. went up to Carsington - lovely place. We caught some splendid 'over wintered' fish. Rainbow trout, Blue trout and Brown trout. For the uninitiated the 'over wintered' fish are those that were stocked last summer and have 'gone wild'. They are much more powerful than the new stock fish having become fit and lean and having fully developed fins and tails. Half a fish for our dinner today and the other half towards fish pie for tomorrow :biggrin:

• Like 5

Went to Swanage today to see the Flying Scotsman, that is making a week's visit to The Swanage Steam Railway.

Its not in revenue earning mode until Friday, but although looking a bit grubby, it's still a beautiful piece of machinery.

The sun was out, and lots of people enjoying themselves. A great day.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Went to Penkridge Market yesterday - Carni will know it. It sunny for a change and the place was packed. Bought some seed potatoes = 2kg Pentland Rockets and 2kg Charlottes excellent quality and £6.95 the lot. Also a very large container of mushrooms for £2. Some people I speak to seem to think that this open market is a bit low class but I love it. There is everything there, gaffa tape, matresses, tools of all descriptions, plants, veg to dream for, genuine fake watches, home made pies, mini auction etc. AND there is a market cafe... I like market cafe's.

Right - out to the garden to prepare the veg plots. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, PeverilPeril said:

genuine fake watches

Love it...

• Like 1

Off to the docs for a routine followup.  Me white coat hypertension goes up and he gets tense about it.  Don't misunderstand.  He's a good doc but he's probably scared I'll have another stroke.  I always take the numbers for the last fourteen days.  They have been reasonable and stable.  I think it must be because me mam used to threaten me the doctor would take me tonsils out.  Made me edgy around doctors.

Sort of like, Jake is edgy around vets since they pinched his equipment.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

genuine fake watches

I know the market well PP. My second child was born at Penkridge, we lived there with relations for a few months in 1969 before moving closer to Wolverhampton.

Your description of 'Genuine fake watches' made me laugh. On the market was a stall selling jewellery, watches etc, at a time when gold gate bracelets were the rage. I purchased two different style gate bracelets, and when I asked if they were gold, the  seller looked at me and with a wink of the eye assured me they were real 'German Gold'. I still have them and not a bit of tarnish to be seen. Wink Wink.

Every year we buy all our bedding plants from Penkridge market, some great bargains to be had. We passed through Penkridge on our way to Stafford this morning. I always have to look up at the bedroom window of the room my daughter was born in as we pass. Aah. memories.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

Some people I speak to seem to think that this open market is a bit low class

I don't know why markets are view thus. Sneinton market was I supposed 'low end' but I absolutely loved it. Don't remember any genuine fake watches but I do remember pots, clothes, shoes, household goods galore and everything in between.....................  Some traders didn't even have a stall, they just laid things down on the ground.......                     

I'm not even askin £5 pahnds.......

• Like 4

We go to a different market every week, yesterday was Worksop, we also get to Retford,Newark, Loughborough,Doncaster,Barnsley and more, great atmosphere and some bargains to be had

Rog

2 hours ago, carni said:

I always have to look up at the bedroom window of the room my daughter was born in as we pass. Aah. memories.

Would that also be the same room as the conception took place? Only wondering,with the remark, Aah memories. Nudge nudge, wink wink.

• Like 1

Nope, Nudge nudge....Queens Avenue Gedling Pit estate. Not telling which house though.:blush:

• Like 1

Blimey Carni, for someone who doesn't fly, you get about a bit. Conceived in Gedling, born in Penkridge. You just need a passport and the 'world is your lobster' as dell boy would say.

• Like 1

Going to Beaumaris for a long weekend, hope to have a good time walking eating and drinking. 16 of us going, I'll try and stay sober.

• Like 1

Mrs P in front of Beaumaris castle

DSCF3292.jpg

Have a great time Den and Mrs Den

Rog

Thanks Rog, might not take the missus she was a bit late making my breakfast this morning.

• Like 1

You must be one of those rare breeds of husband who has a choice Den slywink

Rog

Denshaw your post re your wife was late making your breakfast made me laugh and reminded me of years ago a 19 year old was always late for work. His best excuse ever was that it wasn't his fault it was his mothers, she cooked him two boiled eggs for his breakfast instead of his usual one, so it took him longer to eat his breakfast.

• Like 3