DJ360

How's your day?

IMG-20190528-163002.jpg

How about one of these in your back garden?

• Like 1

Better day than I've had for about seven weeks.  Even a few hours of partial relief from this b****y itch was bliss. 

Then got around to planting up some new stuff in the borders.  They got very neglected last year while I dug up half the garden for drainage work.  Earlier in the year  I lifted and divided a few elderly perennials such as Red Valerian, a Purple Scabious, a Helenium, Monarda (Bergamot) etc.  Another border had to be used as a temporary dumping ground for spoil from the drainage trench, so only the bigger tougher plants survived, mainly a red Penstemon a  few Lobelia Cardinalis and some of those Chinese Bells in both the blue and white varieties.

Anyway, I've now put in Sweet Peas, Delphiniums, perennial Border Carnations, little border Dahlias, Sidalcias and a few Nicotianas and even a few bedding Lobelias.  The later aren't my favourites as they remind me of the 70s when people used to plant out borders with red Salvia, White Alyssum and Blue Lobelia in the shape of a Union Flag...  A bit naff..   But they have their uses. ( And before anybody asks.. yes, I do respect the Union Flag along with the separate national flags of the UK countries.)

Next up, I've got a few plants in shades of oranges, golds, brownish yellow etc.  Dahlias, Gazanias, Erigerons etc., plus another Penstemon or so, to put in another spot.

And I've planted up a Thunbergia ( Black Eyed Susan) trailing thing in a big pot with a sort of steel frame for it to climb up, and base planted with some little violas and more lobelias. In a good year those Thunbergias can give a summer long display

I've a lot more to do just to make the garden remotely tidy, but I'm getting there.

• Upvote 1

Col. you did well doing all that gardening!  Wish you lived nearer to us - I'd employ you to do ours!

• Like 1

Well done Col. I've just spent a fortnight laying slabs, hedge cutting, jet blasting, fence replacement, and a multitude of other strenuous, tiring and backbreaking jobs, but having just looked out of the bedroom window, I can clearly see that my efforts have been worthwhile.

Glad to see that you mention respecting the Union flag. I was getting a bit worried till I saw that. Well done !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Monarda (Bergamot) etc. 

Isn't this used medicinally Col? It's supposed to be good for Psoriasis and skin conditions among other things.

• Like 1

Fancied porridge for breakfast this morning. Empty a packet in the bowl. 180ml milk and cook for 1:30 mins, leave 1 min stir and cook again for 1min, Why bugger about? just nuke it for 2:30mins...

This morning I shall  mostly be cleaning the microwave...

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

I once tried microwaving old fashioned oats, instead of the saucepan method. Mount Vesuvius had nothing on the results. Cleaned up the mess and went back to the saucepan. But decided to make 4 servings at once and split into tupperwares, for a quick micro breakfast. (And only 1 dirty saucepan)

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Brew said:

Isn't this used medicinally Col? It's supposed to be good for Psoriasis and skin conditions among other things.

Didn't know that Brew.  Isn't Oil of Bergamot what they use to flavour Earl Grey Tea?  Anyway if my skin doesn't clear up soon I could try rolling about in the borders for a bit....  :)

• Like 3

Just a thought DJ,   but no doubt you've investigated the possibility of something in your garden that you may allergic to. Not knowing your history of problems, just saying, is all. One hears of cases similar, ie, nettle rash etc., among others. B..

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, katyjay said:

I once tried microwaving old fashioned oats, instead of the saucepan method. Mount Vesuvius had nothing on the results. Cleaned up the mess and went back to the saucepan. But decided to make 4 servings at once and split into tupperwares, for a quick micro breakfast. (And only 1 dirty saucepan)

NOW you tell me!....

Good point there BK,

Rog

Bergamot does flavour Earl Grey tea. Didnt know it was good for psoriasis .

Oats so simple are just that simple and no mess.. I had a load sent from British Corner Shop, opened one up one morning and it looked strange. Checked bb date and they were well outdated. Got refund. Ive brought them back from UK before but never had them exploding in microwave. I just left them 2:30 mins. Stirred and ate it.

Went down the farm for an hour this morning to check on the pigeon situation slywink, got home and strimmered that piece of land the other side of my back garden fence,got lunch ready for Mrs P, Ploughmans with some mature Chedder,took off to Hombase in Newark for a tin of white silk emulsion paint, the kitchen ceiling is now finished and I am about to start painting the walls after I have had my coffee,for dinner I will do Mrs P a jacket spud with cheese and salad,beetroot and  italian dressing,I will have a Ginsters Cornish pasty with some oven chips and bisto gravy, tomorrow is another day

Rog

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Just a thought DJ,   but no doubt you've investigated the possibility of something in your garden that you may allergic to. Not knowing your history of problems, just saying, is all. One hears of cases similar, ie, nettle rash etc., among others. B..

It's always possible BK, but I only developed the problem after returning from Mexico.  I was the only one out of four who swam in the pools, in the sea and also in an underground cenote.  I also 'hammered' the Sun bathing more than them, but was already well tanned before I went'

Allergy tests show no particular reactions to pollen or anything else much.  Just an indication of a massive allergic response to something.

Interestingly, I've just discovered that many people in North America are allergic to Juniper pollen.  I'm not sure there's much Juniper growing in the Yucatan, but there's juniper berry in Gin.  I don't usually drink Gin as it's been known to give me a headache out of all proportion to the quantity, even if I've just had a double to finish an evening in the pub.  However, when we were in Mexico we got into the habit of having a couple of G and Ts before dinner.

I enjoyed that so much that I bought myself a litre of Gin when I got back.  It didn't last long...

Makes you wonder...

Not sure Phil,bit of a grey area,five of them "hibernated" when I was looking at them  slywink

Rog

59 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

Bergamot does flavour Earl Grey tea. Didnt know it was good for psoriasis .

I drink Earl Grey, so does the Queen!

• Like 2

out of the same cup Phil? Proper class

Rog

24 minutes ago, plantfit said:

Not sure Phil,bit of a grey area,five of them "hibernated" when I was looking at them  slywink

Rog

It became illegal on 25th. April, Rog. Expect to get your collar felt very soon!:biggrin:

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Allergy tests show no particular reactions to pollen or anything else much.  Just an indication of a massive allergic response to something.

You ain't been near any poor people have you?  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've just come in out of the freezing cold after working on the Fergie. The battery took a full charge overnight, I've fixed the dodgy starter switch and the engine just turns over fine. I would have put some petrol in to fire it up but it's time for a cup of Earl Grey and a bun and far too cold to go ouside again. Might try tomorrow if its warmer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1