Beast from the East

If I remember correctly, Boxing Night 63. Went to a party on Nuthall Rd, slipped on the icy packed snow outside, and awoke some time later with my jacket partially frozen to the pavement. At least the alcohol intake kept me warm.......

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When will this infernal storm end! Last night we shot the last of the huskies. Quite palatable, but the damned fur clogs up one’s teeth! Our greatest concern is the rapidly dwindling stock of tea bags

Rog

Just returned from a week in Weymouth & some beautiful weather. All I heard Mrs C say "Will my Plants be OK "? How the hell do I know. I'm no gardener ! Smashing week Anyway, why bother with

I was away on a course in North Wales in February in the early 60’s. It was Friday night and I had been up to the village pub for a “few”. I returned to my accommodation late at night over the fields. That’s all I remember other than waking up at around 8am on Saturday morning lying in a hollow in a field surrounded by bleating sheep. Fortunately I didn’t contract hyperthermia as I presume the alcohol kept me warm. :biggrin:

Sat in the Salvation Army cafe in Bulwell this morning & a light dusting of snow came down, by the time we left the snow had melted due to glorious sunshine.

Zombie apocalypse, night of the walking dead & The living Dead is the same for some of the Bulwell residents especially those with their fixed permanently gazing at their mobile phones like nothing else in this world matters.

• Like 3

Talking of mobile phones, sat in Bulwell Wether's the other day & notice someone had left their phone on a stool, went to pick it up & hand in at the bar before it "walked" & was surprised to see it connected to the mains, some cheapskate had brought the charger & lead to charge their phone for free !

• Like 1
1 hour ago, catfan said:

Talking of mobile phones, sat in Bulwell Wether's the other day & notice someone had left their phone on a stool, went to pick it up & hand in at the bar before it "walked" & was surprised to see it connected to the mains, some cheapskate had brought the charger & lead to charge their phone for free !

I've been known to take my charger out recently. My phone battery is shot and and won't hold a charge for long. My daughter in law is giving me her current one in a couple of months when her contract renews so I haven't done anything with mine. Not so much cheapskate but ..........yeh. I'm a cheapskate

• Like 1
3 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Country on red alert??

Schools closed.flights cancelled.

Emergency Council meeting.

Why?..5cm of snow- it's white out there..and my feathered friends were tapping the window with their beaks when the blinds went up!

The window boxes serve well as a grub area..

Well I went to Newark and back first thing and whilst there was about 2cm. on the back lanes the main roads were fine. However the radio traffic reports from Lincolnshire were dire and it seem like the whole county had ground to a halt. Even the A46 byepass up the hill from Lincoln was blocked with jackknifed trucks and the wolds roads were impassable. Newark was very quiet and the Wednesday auction “on the hill” was virtually deserted. I think we’ve missed it so far and by Monday Spring weather will be here!

• Like 1

From the age of 5 onwards, after the first few weeks, I used to walk about a mile to school in all weathers. During heavy snow I used to get there early to make giant snowballs on the playing field by gradually rolling a ball of snow until it was about 5 feet tall when it used to take a crowd of us to push it. Never in my whole school life did I experience a school closure. People just used to get on with it in those days. Wartime spirit I suppose! - and we had frost on the inside of the bedroom windows when we woke on a winter’s morning. 

• Like 2

The reason the schools close is that the teachers have lost the ability to walk to the school and the pupils will never have the ability because they are constantly ferried around by their "doting" parents in motor wagons.

As others have said, I never experienced school being closed due to bad weather  - and there certainly were plenty of instances of that. Regularly during cold weather, the school milk froze in the bottles, lifted the cardboard (later aluminium foil) cap and raised it sometimes two inches up from the bottle. I remember we used to bite the creamy bit off and leave the rest - it was ice cream, wasn't it?

• Upvote 1

My lady comes from Buxton in the High Peak where it knows how to snow.

We were only talking last night about school days and winters, she was telling me about when she was at junior school and having to walk along the tops of the stone walls as the lanes were blocked with snow. On another occasion a blizzard was so bad a group of mums ganged together to walk them to school for fear they might get lost.

In 63 her last year at grammar school she had a 2 to 3 mile walk to school and neither the teachers or they missed a day.

• Like 1

Mamby-Pamby Nanny State.

No, our schools were never closed, we got there no matter what weather was thrown at us.  I remember in the 62/63 winter trekking in my wellies over to Coppice Road in Arnold to catch the Trent double-decker to school.  It started its journey in Hucknall, picking up Carlton-le-Willows kids along the way.  One particular day the bus just couldn’t get up the top of Coppice Road onto the Plains.  No problem, the driver managed to turn round, go back down to Arnold, into town along Mansfield Road and out via Sneinton to Colwick and then Gedling. We got there late but we made it.  Snowball fights and slides in the playground.  Can’t remember the journey home but I’m sure we would have had a full day of lessons.  

In the mid-80s we lived in a Buckinghamshire village 6 miles cross-country to our boys school.   The snow was deep and I can’t lie, the journey was a little scary, as at the time I had a Mercedes which wasn’t good in snow and ice. There were a couple of cars in the ditch just outside the village but I got the kids to school ok.  I cautiously drove back to our hill-top village, just got in the house and the Headmistress phoned to request that I collect them ASAP as she’d decided to close the school as not many children had managed to get in.  At least 75% of the pupils could have walked to school. I wasn’t happy. 

Yes, we were made of strong stuff back then. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

It is quite bad out there though. The A1 is blocked just north of Newark. I’ve just driven to Newark and between Averham and Newark it was a complete white out and I couldn’t see beyond the end of the bonnet. The road was deep slush. On the way back the sun shone! It was almost deserted in the Waitrose car park so It seems people are staying at home. My trip wasn’t just to Waitrose - that was just incidental! :biggrin:

My school Ellis at the top of Bar Lane, never closed the teachers always got there and you were expected too.

There were some rules however, you were never allowed to stay in the class room at break you had to go to the play ground. No ice slides in the play ground and under no circumstances throw a snowball that was punishable with two strokes of the cane.

Sounds harsh but I have to be honest the teachers were trying to control 560 semi hooligans god knows would have been in those snowballs but it's for sure someone would have ended up hurt.

2 hours ago, sue B 48 said:

I think children are more comfortable now days but I remember the pain of

chilblains  and I wouldn't wish that on any child.:unsure: 

I remember the pain of a tanned arse, a lot of kids today could do with some !

• Like 2