Sign in to follow this  
Cliff Ton

St Ann's and surrounding area

This compilation has been on Youtube for a couple of years, but I don't think it's made its way to NS. The first two minutes show Victoria Station being demolished - then the next 12 minutes shows St Anns in its later years.

• Like 4

Amazing footage !      Being ex City Brigade, I was very surprised to see the Dennis F12 (UAU 999) doing a "live" rescue from a building, using the wheeled escape. The old breathing apparatus sets , "proper" fire tunics etc. Great days !. Obviously just an exercise, soon to be outlawed after a fireman died in Birmingham about the same era and doing the same sort of thing.

Did'nt recognise anyone, it was a bit too quick for me, brilliant to see though,

Thanks for posting it

Seeing Sir Roland Hill boarded up was a crime, but when the bus stopped and the man got out took off  his hat and bowed and leaving a bunch of flowers was just brilliant. For those who did not know Sir Roland Hill was on Hungerhills  Road top on Norland Road St Ann's.

• Like 1

The Adjutant White got the bulldozer also. 63743-1-320-320-FFFFFF.jpgSir Rowland Hill boozer.. seem to recall a tin chapel around these parts- jumble sales etc...

HI IAN123 

yes your right on the other side of Norland Road was the Tin Chapel it was used quite a lot brownies, guides, cubs and scouts, like you say also jumble sales, I believe it was sold to a Reform church and from then on Sundays mornings use to "ROCK" I bet the singers could be heard right in the city centre.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2018 at 3:46 PM, fogrider said:

Did'nt recognise anyone, it was a bit too quick for me, brilliant to see though,   Thanks for posting it

I'm not sure if you're aware, but you can pause that footage on Youtube if you want to try and identify particular people. While it's playing, click on the white arrow in the lower left corner.

PMlH0hB.jpg

Thanks Clifton, have had another look and stopped it at various points, just a bit too grainy to make people out really well but I think I recognised two. What the occasion was I'm not sure , but it's clearly an exercise , I suspect it's new BA sets, those sets came out around 1960 I think, 

Fascinating, 

Regards all

Even though it was fairly off my manor i recall neighbourly pubs..

Garden Gate.

Alcester.

Alfred.

Oliver Cromwell.

Liberal Club.3474656-orig.jpgPrior to demolition ,the Tin Chapel..bundle of Valiant annuals and a Topo Gigio for pence..great 'Jungle' Sales.

Just had another view of that St Anns video and another video called Poverty in St Anns, 1969, popped up. It's tragic to watch, those poor people I'm thinking, then a young chap on £14 a week, in poverty...……...hang on, I lived a bit further up Woodborough Road in 1969 and was on £12 a week in the Fire Brigade !!

( I still have the pay slips). How life has changed, the perception of poverty is on a different level now. They were tough days, but  it was just how things were,

unpleasant video, I'll stick to Victoria railway station clips in future !