• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

11 hours ago, philmayfield said:

It’s a toss up between the Stones and the Beatles. The Beatles had the clever lyricists but the Stones have a ‘rawness’ about them. Our group were more of the Buddy Holly era.

Or it's both... I always liked pretty much everything the Beatles did.  I still have all of their albums, including all of the 'At the BBC' stuff etc. They stood apart from every other band at the time, or since, by virtue of their exceptional song writing.

My first ever single was 'I Wanna Be Your Man' by the Stones.. but a Lennon McCartney composition... I liked the Stones' first couple of albums, which were mostly covers, of American R&B stuff.. as were their first 5 singles. The Stones, like the Beatles and the rest of the UK 'beat' explosion,sort of redefined the 'sound' of all those American Blues/R&B influences and ended up re-exporting it back to trhe USA.

For me, the run of singles from the Stones when they started writing their own stuff, from probably 'Satisfaction', through to Jumpin' Jack Flash', Brown Sugar' etc.. were their 'epic' period. They also did some beautiful ballads such as 'Play With Fire', 'Ruby Tuesday' etc.

• Like 1

In other news, I just watched a film about the Gucci family tragedy, featuring Lady Gaga, Jeremy Irons, Al Pacino etc..

The final music was this extraordinary duet of Tracy Chapman and Pavarotti, which I'd never heard before..

Gorgeous...

• Like 1

I watched that too, what a dramatic family eh? Thanks for the clip of the music, Pav effortless as always, just has to open his mouth and something rather beautiful is the result. Huge fan.

• Upvote 1

The Empress of Soul......and the Pips........back in 72' when 'Deano'' was still around.......... 'Gladys'' is now 78 and still performing.....

Love to catch a ''Midnight train to Georgia''.with her....might even see ''Loppy'':)

• Like 1

Yes i know ive played it before...here's a different version....

There's just something about a ''Lady in Red''.......in my experience they are slightly ''Dangerous'':Shock:

I really do remember when this was normal in Pubs...........especially ''The Standard of England'' Park Lane Old Basford..........long gone.....

• Like 1

Here goes then Jill.....   Left to right.....

Granddad...next two Aunts (i believe) then my two Grandma's...Granddad Jackson...last but not least My lovely late cousin Doris....

All never to be forgotten....

• Like 1

Probably a chap known as 'Blonde''.........who she wed and were together a good 50 years......again a lovely bloke.........

Here's a good oldie.......remember Johnnie Ray ?.......one of my Grandma's was in his fan club in the 50s...........

It was a magic time when we walked ''Our baby back home''....Bulwell to Basford after a night in the 'Adelphi' Picture house......aged 16 ish..no car we walked everywhere......even Bestwood estate to Bestwood Village over ''Meadow and farm''......all built on now.........then there was Jill from Coalville 1964...walked her home from Whitwick (next village) after watching ''Robin and the 7 hoods''......Nottstalgia will never die.......:)

• Like 3

Think this was their 1st big hit in 1963......i recall driving a Farrands/Marsdens van down to Peterborough to re-vamp a Counter Service Farrands into Self-service... and singing to this with Syd..Pete...and Mick.....my old workmates........

Stopped in Peterborough for a week (little did i know i;d live down there for a time in the 70s)..........

Had all them Beatles style clothes back then...including the 'Cuban Heels''

Struggled to find a decent place to dance at night......it was in the days before they had thousands of immigrants...and the Peterborians wernt used to outsiders who dressed and spoke very differently.....Bless em...

• Like 1