What a song what a singer...........

• Like 2
  • Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey, Ayup Ben, pleased to see you back and sorry you’ve had health issues but hope you settle into your new home quickly.  Did you get out before the rent man called?   Just hope that a few of th

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

Posted Images

I saw Hot Chocolate at Intercon in the early 70s, Errol Brown did have a great voice ..... passed away in the Bahamas 2015.

• Like 1

One of the best songs ever to slow dance to....So many memories.........turn Cartwheels cross the floor.........

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Always liked a bit of Jazz with Kenny Ball.......although he caused me to vacate the Dolphin hotel in Cleethorpes about 1970.........and spend a freezing night covered in only some newspapers in a Caravan on the ''Fitties'' site.............lol

Saw him at The Dancing Slipper way back when.  We also had an involvement in The Old Vic on Fletcher Gate, when it was turned into an old-time Music Hall and I think we had him performing there, not sure.  We did come up from Hertfordshire when George Melly and Roy Hudd were performing.   

• Like 1

I used to stay at the Dolphin in Cleethorpes every tuesday night..about 1970.....got there this particular night and was told Kenny and his Jazzmen were staying and it was full........

Long story but i finished up in this grotty Caravan freezing  me socks off.........after a good night dancing at a place in Grimsby........i knew how to hit the high spots.....lol

• Upvote 1

I think this was Hot Chocolate's third chart single, but it was the first one which registered with me, and it is still my favourite of all their songs.

I said earlier that Joe Meek had produced the Chris Barber version of Bechet's 'Petite Fleur'.  I was mistaken.  Joe Meek produced Humphrey Lyttleton's 'Bad Penny Blues'.  And Mc Cartney 'borrowed' from the piano riff for Lady Madonna'

And here is Sidney Bechet's classic 'Petite Fleur'. Played ..not on clarinet as many think, but on Soprano Saxophone. His power and sense of melody were phenomenal. Peerless.

9 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

.after a good night dancing at a place in Grimsby........i knew how to hit the high spots.....lol

It will never be as bad as Goole...  What a ****hole....  :angry:

• Like 1

As far as I know this is the only song that mentions Goole

Well remember before the age of motorways going up the A614 across the Boothferry Bridge at Goole and on into Hull 

• Like 1

Agree about Goole Col.........proper end of the road place....interviewed a convicted murderer in his flat there...strangest interview i ever did........he kept telling his Budgie how much he loved him'''........oh yes,,gave him the job   .........him   ........not the Budgie.........lol

• Like 1

Starting my day........with Glen......and ''Gentle on my mind''

''Its just knowing.. that your door is always open''

''And your path is free to walk''

Also love Dean Martin's version.........

8 hours ago, DJ360 said:

It will never be as bad as Goole...  What a ****hole....  :angry:

DJ, I have to add to that. When I was at 'Springhead' xray centre on Cinderhill Road, Boolwul,  we were about to close down and i had been assigned to Wath on Dearne, near Rotherham. I asked my doctor boss where it was. This was his honest reply, I kid you not.

"If you can imagine Rotherham being the arse  of Britain, then Wath on Dearne is the suppository that been shoved up it" !!

52 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Starting my day........with Glen......and ''Gentle on my mind''

Ben, have a look on YouTube at some of Glen's amazing guitar skills

• Like 1

Yes OZ seen that........he was brilliant .and so laid back with it...so sad he's gone...............

2 hours ago, Beekay said:

DJ, I have to add to that. When I was at 'Springhead' xray centre on Cinderhill Road, Boolwul,  we were about to close down

Hi BK,

When were you there?  I only ever went inside the place once. An uncle of mine was a sort of 'live in' caretaker there at one point. I think it would be early 60s at the latest.  We had a family Christmas or New Year party there where we sat down for a meal in a big room. I recall it was freezing in there.  

At one point we kids all wandered into a room where there was an x ray machine, and on a sort of side table there were several huge square shaped magnifying glasses. They were no doubt used for looking closely at x-ray images.  There were several different sizes, but all huge to my young lad's eyes. They were all standing up on their edges and someone popped in and told us very firmly not to touch anything.  And we didn't....but I was absolutely aching to pick up the biggest magnifier and look through it.. at anything..

The only other thing I recall was a loo at the back of the building.  From the partially open window I could see out over woods and fields which were totally alien to me.  Like another world.  But they would no doubt have been the area arond Crabtree, with Snape Wood beyond. I see from Google Maps that the building is still there, but no clue as to who is using it now.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9939636,-1.2017041,96m/data=!3m1!1e3

Morning Col, I was at 'Springhead' from early 1978 to late 1986, when it closed down. I should have been transferred to Eastwood Hall as a chauffeur for Mr. MacGregor, but it was decided that as I was staff status I'd be on more money than the driving pool, so thats when I had to go to W on D. The first time I went there was for an xray in 1958 as part of a medical for entry to the NCB. Between the xray room and the processing room was my domain, a lead lined dark room. The radiographer took the xray then put the cassette into a two way locker, and I was on the other side and retrieved the cassette took the film out, printed details on it then fed it into the processor, which took 4.5minutes. I replaced the cassette with fresh film and placed it back in the locker for next customer.

Interestingly, back in '58 I had my xray, then 20 years later I had another. When filing the film in the archives, I found my original one.

You wouldn't  believe the difference. In my time there, I was responsible for over half million xrays from the various collieries.

The top floor of 'Springhead' was for servants quarters, when it was a residence. From your Google photo, it shows that the film record store has gone. I understand that it was turned into an unmarried mothers accommodation. Not sure about now though.

• Like 1

Think it became a printing company...had some business cards done there about 10 years ago.........

• Like 1

I was 19 and lodging in Coalville at big Maude's.......remember friday nights dancing to this at the ''West end Club''......it was a miners club and at 10 oclock on the dot the fighting started..

I was always under a table with a pint and a girl....great times...

• Like 4

Last song and dance for tonight............loved ''Grease'' and this song.......loved Olivia as well.........

''I got chills there multiplying''

6 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

I was 19 and lodging in Coalville at big Maude's.......remember friday nights dancing to this at the ''West end Club''

Love the jangly guitar intro, it takes me right back to April 1965. I was doing a British Canoe Union? coaching course at the time. The Trent was not particularly warm at that time of year, I much preferred the sessions in the swimming pool.

• Like 1

I think the 'jangly' guitar is down to a certain Rickenbacker guitar model. The Byrds used a few different but related models I think.

• Like 1

Tom Waits. Little known in many quarters, but a true genius of an observer  and commentator..

Dark humour at its best.

It's Saturday again. So to kick off the evening, gerron the dance floor and shake yer feet about to this

Tremelos.....Spot the line "you'll never walk alone, you're always on your phone"

• Like 3