Hockley Over The Years

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here it is.  Take it away, Ben!     His name was Ben - Oh! He was a grocer. He'd slice your bacon with a squeeze. Slap and tickle with your cheese! "Let's see your h

The view in 1970 from Cranbrook House which was built on the site of a 15th century burial ground.   

Photos of Hockley over the years on Post website.   https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/gallery/38-pictures-looking-back-hockley-3364947

Picture 24 from the first posting by DaveN shows Goosegate. Looking beyond the car in pic 24 exactly in a straight line beyond the roof of said car is a building with large stone window mullions. That was definitely Jallands pub in the late 50s and 60s.

It was later Browns wine bar in the 80s.15 Goose Gate
https://maps.app.goo.gl/xrKUG1y6jWv4sYYF8

• Like 1

TBI..thanks for the info...

& Talking of confusion..

Willow Wilson..thanks for the link..I had too go to the bottom of Goose Gate to get my bearings.!

How things become featureless..Had to look long & hard..

Agreed.. that was Browns. remember seeing the Bootleg Beatles there mid eighties £6!!. caught the last 25mins for free..

I thought this was called Carlton St !?

Regarding Jallands I may have misdirected dad with prior hint's..sure he said other side of Cranbrook St unprompted however.

Hard to believe how featureless the concrete landscape is becoming...

Part of the area in question, in the 1970s.

The low building roughly in the centre is the Woolworth's which everyone seems to remember. The shop immediately to the right of Woolies is Benley's who so far haven't been mentioned, but appear to have been a menwswear store. Carlsboro were further down towards Parliament St.

n4sB1a7.jpg

• Upvote 1

Carlton street goes from top of Pelham street to Broad Street. Yes it has changed, I remember well the clothes shop with everything piled on the counters. I bought a leather bike jacket from there in '59, still got it but not the bike.

The camera on the above pic is positioned where Ashmore's Arcade was. Opposite was a narrow Coalpit lane was,I think. 

• Like 1

To the left of 'Woolworths, would that be Cranbrook House? Later painted white, Had an intercom, one or more floors used to rent out rehearsal space for music, Theatre etc, cheap partitioning & zero soundproofing!

Hi Philmayfield  The machine that was used on your scalp/hair is called a High -Frequency machine fist they would use small surface electrode, then a glass rake electrode, then they would finish off with you head massage while you held the metal bar. When you did the High-Frequency on any one you had to always have your hand on the scalp/head when you switched it on and while doing the massage other wise you would get an electric shock from it. The cost for a treatment in 50s/60s was 2/6 . One of these machines came up on the Antiques Roadshow the other year and the dealer did not know what it was. Myself and nonnab put him right I sent BBC e-mail. nonnab and myself ex stylist.

Now back to "Hockley"    Gilliots knife/scissor sharper, Boots first shop was Goose Gate which was i think top oh Hockley? not sure if this is right,  Marsdens and next door Ashmores, all ready mentioned but you had savings card at Ashmore bit like a Christmas club,  on Carlton st ther was a Net curtain shop and lets not forget The Pram Company where my mum and myself had there first baby's pram from then corner Heathcoat st   I  think it was a model shop G Dees? not sure  Not sure but was there a music shop selling instruments.

2 hours ago, HSR said:

To the left of 'Woolworths, would that be Cranbrook House? 

Yes it is.

2 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

The camera on the above pic is positioned where Ashmore's Arcade was. Opposite was a narrow Coalpit lane was,I think. 

It's now called Cranbrook Street, but used to be the narrow Coalpit Lane. Until the recent demolition/redevelopment, there was a street nameplate on the wall.......https://goo.gl/maps/abp9NLHD1accxqH78

• Like 1

I’ve seen the machine Mary 1947 refers to a few times in antique centres but I’ve not been tempted to buy. The first time one was ever used on me the barber said ‘whatever you do, don’t let go of the electrode!’. I did, of course and the electric shock he received knocked him right over! :biggrin:

I think at the time I was told that the electric machine was to stimulate the scalp and prevent hair loss. It must have worked as I’ve still got lots of hair. It has turned it grey though!

I think the Pram company was previously Progressive where you could buy furniture and electrical goods and pay weekly at excessive prices, you could also take out a loan and someone would call at you house weekly to collect instalments.

Craven's was a Hockley shop. They retailed curtaining, nets, upholstery fabric and deck chair canvas which is what I recall mum buying there every few years. It was plain green or striped. The required lengths were cut and then rolled up in brown parcel paper. Not a plastic bag in sight!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I’ve seen the machine Mary 1947 refers to a few times in antique centres but I’ve not been tempted to buy. The first time one was ever used on me the barber said ‘whatever you do, don’t let go of the electrode!’. I did, of course and the electric shock he received knocked him right over! :biggrin:

I think at the time I was told that the electric machine was to stimulate the scalp and prevent hair loss. It must have worked as I’ve still got lots of hair. It has turned it grey though!

Your barber was correct you did get a shock if you let go of the electrode don't forget if you buy one it will probably use DC. The client i use to give HF treatment to had a round bald patch on her head, she would always ask me if her hair was growing  I always said well it does take a long time, OH!! and her name believe it or not was Mrs Monk.

10 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

and on the next corner going back towards town,,was a Marsdens with a rounded shop front,very distinctive (surprised cliff ton not shown a photo of it...knock knock...please Kev).....i remember this branch very well,for a couple of reasons,,1/  i closed the store one sat morning in 1965 for 5 or 10 minutes for Winston Churchill's funeral,,.......2/  Wally Swifts Mam used to shop there...........

I know the one you mean Ben.  I posted a photo of that shop in another thread somewhere and at the moment I can't bl**dy find it.  It may have been ruined in the Photobucket mess.  I'll keep looking. 

• Like 1

Thanks Cliffton, I remember the Coalpit Lane sign..as a youngster always thought what an interesting Street name..

Funny thing is.in the 1890's my GG parents lived at Cherry Place, if I remember correctly very close. 

Wish I had known at the time.mid eighties. Literally treading in thier footsteps!

Have you seen the picture of Cherry St/place with the boys brigade & ..hope I have this right Peach inn?

How I would tlike to visit...but hopefully only for a few hours!!!!

There was a similar sign at the bottom of Huntingdon St...name escapes me..Formally ?? Lane...Hope it's still there..

8 hours ago, HSR said:

Have you seen the picture of Cherry St/place with the boys brigade & ..hope I have this right Peach inn?

Yes, that Cherry St photo seems to crop up everywhere from time to time.

8 hours ago, HSR said:

There was a similar sign at the bottom of Huntingdon St...name escapes me..Formally ?? Lane...Hope it's still there..

This one ?   https://goo.gl/maps/rU7Rq81dAB1pVtkJ8   (There may be others).

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

I know the one you mean Ben.  I posted a photo of that shop in another thread somewhere and at the moment I can't bl**dy find it.  It may have been ruined in the Photobucket mess.  I'll keep looking. 

The photo has been located.......thanks to Willow Wilson for putting us out of our misery. (Scroll down to the second-to-last post in the thread)

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/5663-price-beal-store/?page=2

23 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Yes, that Cherry St photo seems to crop up everywhere from time to time.

This one ?   https://goo.gl/maps/rU7Rq81dAB1pVtkJ8   (There may be others).

Not surprised..regards pic

.shows the dark..with just an element of light....in their case, ale not day! Guessing youv'e tseen the others.

There may be others?

With your excellent knowledge (many others also) sounds like an early Easter egg/sign hunt!

Can't join in unfortunately..out of monthly data allowance sadly.

Many thanks HRS for the photos many memories brought back.   x

Last picture posted, shows the Mill on the left..had a reputation for jailbait and underage drinking. Never went in ..walked by ..eating a pea mix from Greyfrairs!

On one occasion bumped into Albert Lee.he had been doing a groove tube demo at Carlsboro, a Saturday about 7pm. 

Got his autograph with my girlfriend's eyeliner pencil...

I remember "Burtons" facing little Woolworth's  when I first met the master I went along with him to have a made to measure suite. the cost was £3 10/- for choice of cloth, for a jacket, waist coat and trousers. While the man was taking measurements, he ask master which side he dressed. Now at the time I was young  so, when out --side I ask what the man meant when he ask which side he dressed, ""Well!!!! boy's you know what I'm going  to say don't you.""  Master replied  don't worry I'll show you later.

• Like 1