Hello there - Hey Arnold

Stopped there many times R., had some nice dinners, then again at Keele services (M6).

Isn't there an open prison somewhere near you? I recall giving a lift to a bloke who said inmates were often absconding. All they had to do was walk over a couple fields and they were in woodland. (Bloke I gave a lift to could have been doing a runner for all I know).

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Intelligence has nothing to do with the ability to read, spell or write. I taught adult literacy for some years and was often amazed at the resourcefulness of those who left school totally bewildered

Jill you’re right about being dyslexic. My hubby was diagnosed in the Army, never at school where he came out with zero qualifications. His 4 brothers and the care and foster homes he was in reckoned

HEY ARNOLD,,   The Westminster Bank / builders was Thomas they had a showroom with merchants at the back and also built houses around Arnold. Thomas also built the garage and shops at t

Thank you CT and Phil. To my rescue again. I'd be lost without my saviours.

Never occurred to me to look for signs.      B.

Phil, the first time I saw the posh car place was when we used to take our son to Arboretum school. Just saw cars not name.

43 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Stopped there many times R., had some nice dinners, then again at Keele services (M6).

Isn't there an open prison somewhere near you? I recall giving a lift to a bloke who said inmates were often absconding. All they had to do was walk over a couple fields and they were in woodland. (Bloke I gave a lift to could have been doing a runner for all I know).

I well remember Keele Services. An Italian guy tried to sell me a leather jacket in the car park. He had a bootload of them. Funnily enough he was the same guy who tried to sell me one in Arnold Sainsbury's car park the week before!

Me and dad called in there for a cup tea and while we sat at the table, this well spoken chap asked for a light for his ciggy. He were on the table next to us so I handed him my lighter. He lit his fag, handed back my lighter then said thank you and cheerio. My dad said said "Do you know who that was"?

I said no, so dad said, "Mick Mcmanus, the wrestler"!          B.

22 hours ago, Hey Arnold said:

until we bought our first house on Cheltenham Street Old Basford.

20 hours ago, katyjay said:

Both my parents lived on Cheltenham St before marriage. Mam actually on the street, dad in Bell Terrace. The latter was demolished and Pear Tree Court built on there. 

Not sure if I've ever done this before; the length of Cheltenham Street,  and the two sides of Bell Terrace in the 1930s.

ERyWrTE.jpg

• Like 2

Wow great photo,

& lots of those houses still there today & both of the churches.

And great for me to see that triangle bit of land on park lane/arnold rd as it was then too as my parents moved into 1 of the new houses that were built there in 1983 & i have never seen what was there before so thankyou.

@LizzieM yes I know Winthorpe Drive. My father was actually the site foreman at some stage while the houses on Laneham Avenue were being built and as such received a discount to buy one. Mum and dad arranged a £50 bank loan to pay the deposit, legal fees etc and on the day they were supposed to pay the deposit to reserve the house he went home, said he'd been thinking about it and couldn't see how they could tie themselves down to the payments for the next 25 years. With that they pulled out, moved in to Ravenswood Road with my grandma, got their names on the rent book and spent the £50 on new furniture!

Wembley estate, as the Wimpey homes were called, was one of the stomping grounds we used to play on when they were building  

@Hey Arnold The houses on Laneham were just around the corner from us and it was those buildings we kids played on.  The watchman was forever chasing us away.  My best friend’s Dad was the Site Agent for Westminster Builders (?) who I think built the entire estate.   Is your Dad still alive?  If so, maybe he will remember Les Wright.  
i also used to play down by the brook, the other side of Rolleston Drive. There was a big concrete pipe running underground towards Coppice Road. We’d see how far we could get along the pipe before we bottled out.  One day I’d gone down there on my Triang scooter and hid it in a hedge while I played.  Someone nicked it, I was heartbroken.  
Hey Arnold, it’s nice to have someone on Nottstalgia who grew up in the same ‘hood! 

Firstly thankyou to all of the members for the warm welcome & for taking the time to read & reply to my posts,

thought that i should give you all a bit more info about myself.

Born 1963 at adcocks yard, russell st, radford which was my grandparents home where my parents lived with them after marrying,

then moved to gamble st in 1965 when they got their own house after my younger sister was born,

started school at raleigh st infants in 1968 & then windley juniors in 1970 1st at the old building then moving to the new building after a couple of years,

In sept 1974 i then started a 5 year sentence at the manning prison (oops sorry school on gregory boulevard.

Moved from gamble st to st anns in 1975 till 83 & then to old basford for just under a year before i married & moved to long eaton with my husband.

Hope i haven't bored you all too much & anything i've missed just ask.

Hey up R., just realised, you were only two when I got married ! Now I do feel bloody old. Incidentally, My sister in law went to Manning. She's the brains of the family. I often tell 'er indoors, I married the wrong one. :rolleyes:

Sorry if i have posted my message in the wrong place,my hubby hey arnold says it should have gone in the who are you topic, if this is the case then maybe some kind person could redirect it thanks, i,m still trying to get to grips with how the site works.

1 hour ago, RadFordee said:

Sorry if i have posted my message in the wrong place,my hubby hey arnold says it should have gone in the who are you topic, if this is the case then maybe some kind person could redirect it thanks, i,m still trying to get to grips with how the site works.

It’s not easy to navigate this site; the software seems to be designed to make things complicated.  I’m one of the people who might be able to move things around…although sometimes it’s just not worth the effort.

You and Mr Arnold have started a couple of threads which are going well so I don’t think it would be a good idea to move or change them. But bear in mind there are old threads about various schools/places/shops/employers/etc etc and if you find any of those you could add your thoughts.

However, finding those old threads isn’t easy, especially for newcomers (and even for oldies) so for the moment I’d say just carry on…..

Thankyou for the info ct i'm sure we will get the hang of it in time & yes am trying to read some of the older stuff too hoping to add to it & stir up a few old memories of our.

I have in fact just made a post in things our parents used to say, thanks again.

Welcome to the forum, RadFordee.  I hope you’ll enjoy your time on here.  You’re a lot younger than me (most people are ) but I still can enjoy reading your memories of your time in Nottingham.  Keep posting ..