Pubs closing or closed down

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

The Grove has been derelict for at lest 4 years; which is surprising because it's in the middle of student-land.

The Lancers has been a Tesco Express for at least 4 years, because it's in student-land.

La Grenouille is now a letting agency for student flats.

Spot the connection.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pictures+of+17/21st+lancers+pub+in+nottingham&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#imgrc=LRJzczCkG2Z0oM%3A

I worked at Elastic Yarns in the sixties and remember the 17/21st Lancers being built and going in on the day it opened and also went in the Grove usually on a Friday lunchtime.

On the top half of St James Street on the corner with Maid Marian Way, near the former Mint bar, was a pub called Chambers. It's been closed down for several months, but it seems to be coming back to life under a name which makes no sense.

bear.jpg

No next corner up now 4550 from deli seen the cure there many moons ago.

The old black boy - long Island - loads of other names on Market Street been shut for a while is now in the hands of the Revolution chain soon to be a cocktail bar.

Chambers opened sometime in the 90's and catered for the "townies" especially at the weekends with karaoke and discos etc. There was a sort of an Irish pub aspect to it. Owner was Irish and was very much family run.

Did do a good trade from the offices nearby at lunchtime for food and for early doors in the week.

Won't be in the top ten of Nottingham's closed pubs but I had some good times in there when it was near to my place of work.

Sorry to see it go. Replacement is not my kind of drinking hole.

Chambers certainly benefited when my new boss decided to have a "do" there for his team back in 1996. An early evening event with food and first drink for about 30 people came to just under £700. He asked me to pay for it so that he could sign-off my expense claim.

It was only when I waved my corporate card at the barman that I found out they didn't accept Amex, so I finished up having to use my personal credit card. The wife went mad when she found out!

• Upvote 1

Must be over 20 yrs since closed and demolished,was my local in the mid 80s,when the great Edna' was landlady.

In a book called "Nottingham Pubs" there's a section covering pubs Hyson Green to Bulwell and there's a photo of Mason's Arms, Church Street in 1972 and it states that the pub was replaced by a housing complex called Prince of Wales Court in 1992

• Upvote 2

It's a good book I'm sure you'll enjoy browsing all the photos. Incidentally I presume the Mason's Arms was probably demolished before the year mentioned when the flats were built.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

I never knew the Five Ways had closed, now going to be a Mosque ! Even has separate entrances for women ?

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Muslim-trustees-hope-make-Ways-pub-community/story-26797474-detail/story.html

You can sign a petition

Safeguard the Five Ways Public House Nottingham
  • 1 month later...
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down